Notices

SmartyCam HD - Rev 2 Lens Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts
Question SmartyCam HD - Rev 2 Lens Upgrade?

I have two SmartyCam HD's (first-gen) with fixed, wide-angle lenses. My mounting point is on the cage in between the two seats (the cup often sports a passenger seat for coaching). The standard lens is too wide for my needs--see pic below. Is there a way to change the FOV on these Rev 1 units? Can I buy the 70-degree lens kit from the Rev 2 and mount that onto Rev 1's?

Thanks for any pointers...

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 603
Size:  1.94 MB
Old 07-12-2015, 10:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

No. The Rev1 is 84 degrees field of view (FOV). The Rev2 is either 60 degrees (standard) or 120 degrees (wide). The Replay XD is 130 degrees, the GoPro is by default 170 degrees.

The reason why you can't switch them over is that the lens is integral with the case, only lens protector (the screw-on glass) is changeable. I have tried every possible way to do this for other folks who want this.

In the end, I ask people to buy what they want and sell what they have.

There is no question that the image quality and low-light performance is better on the Rev2, but I still like the Rev1 field of view (84 degrees) the best...

What I would do if I were you, is to put the longest extension on a RAM mount and place the camera AT LEAST 6" further foward. That would help a LOT.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter. That's exactly what I've done... a 6" Ram Mount extension and a bit of tweaking... the extension does introduce vibrations into the picture but it is what it is... will have to be that way until I remove the "shotgun" seat and open up that FOV.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:49 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts
Default SmartyCam HD - Rev 2 Lens Upgrade?

I have the original smarty but faced the same issue. I hung it upside down from one of the intermediate cross bars to get the FOV that I wanted. Especially to get past my halo seat.

Minimize the length of that RAM arm which can cause vibration. Works out reasonably well.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:28 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Crex

I'll take the HD 1 camera(s) in on trade if you want to move to the 60 degree HD 2 camera. Email me at jandsaustin1@verizon.net if interested
Old 07-24-2015, 05:07 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jerry. I'll keep the option in mind--appreciate the offer!

I may need to reach out to you on something else... Been trying to do math on Motec i2 Standard and it's frustrating the daylight out of me... Things we'd take for granted in AIM all have to be "bought" with Motec... But that's another topic for another day...
Old 07-24-2015, 10:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Things we'd take for granted in AIM all have to be "bought" with Motec... But that's another topic for another day...
That is true...
Old 07-24-2015, 10:11 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Been there done that with Motec. Stock ADL 2 will only hold about 12 laps at Sebring. They (Porsche) sort of force you to unlock ($), add memory($$) and add Pro version ($$$) to do math, use GPS or sync video. I believe the money goes to PMNA not Motec

Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD - Rev 2 Lens Upgrade?