Notices

MXL2 user problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:09 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MXL2 user problem

Have one of the new MXL2, first time out at the track today and clearly there is some user error. It's not recording laps, its just one large session. Now I did upload the track with the map manager (Blackhawk Farms) I just assumed that map would of have the GPS coordinates already in it.
The GPS map does show up, but no start/finish, I tried to create a new map but its not showing the map in the window that I can set the segments.
So what step did I forget? Have a couple of sessions tomorrow and Sunday to play with it.

Last edited by pmason; 04-24-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:44 PM
wparente
Intermediate

It sounds like your close, but I haven't been out yet to play with it. My first outing will be at BlackHawk next weekend. Did you go to maps, new, and name it down on the bottom? After your done go to View, GPS Data and see what happens. Sooner or later things will start working. Your in the correct area, it just a matter of getting the correct combo of buttons.
Bill Parenteau
Old 04-24-2015, 11:05 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

I have tried to create a new map, tried both 2 or 4 wheel speed sensor, but from the videos it says that if I'm using GPS which I am it should be the 2 wheel speed sensor with giro. But both look the same as this images.
Yes I'm attending the school this weekend, didn't have to as SCCA did take all my PCA experience and give me a full competition license, but never run with the SCCA, you can always learn, and track time shacking down the new spec miata I built.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

To seperate the data you have into laps, you need to use the GPS lap insert function. https://vimeo.com/104157434

When you go Map > New, that creates the map that you use for track segments and the split times. It's not as important how you create that map as long as it looks correct. Here is how to do that https://vimeo.com/29707974

So, use the GPS lap insert to change your one long lap into multiple correct laps. Then, use the Map area to create the splits map so you can do split analysis.

To fix things, you have to be connected to your dash with the power on, then connect the computer and open RS3. Click the track button on the top left of the screen. Then, find Blackhawk Farms on the left, select it with a check mark in the box, then hit the right arrow in the middle of the screen. You should then see it in the right hand list under your MXL2 name.

I'll PM you my cell number and if you still have trouble tomorrow, give me a call and we'll figure it out.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:58 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Matt, Thanks for your help, the GPS lap insert did the trick, I was then able to create a new map also.
One thing that was interesting when I selected chose the nearest track Blackhawk Farms didn't show up, so I placed the start/finish.
As for uploading the map to the dash, I original did that, now I uploaded about 4~5 tracks that I normally run in the area, I assumed that these had GPS start finishes in them and the dash would know which track to use by the GPS. Is there a way to push the track map I just created?
Thanks again
Old 04-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

The dash should know which track your at automatically. It's fine to use GPS Manager to put in all the tracks you normally attend and leave them all in there.

When you are in GPS Manager, do you see the track name on the right when connected to the powered up dash?

The map that you make when you go to Map > New is only for the segment times using Split Times Analysis. In GPS Manager, you can add splits, but I don't normally recommend for people to do that.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:36 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

To clarify additionally what Matt has said, MXL2/MXG/MXS/EVO4 do NOT come with tracks loaded into them. You can set up the logger for sensors and proper operation in the car, but the GPS info needs to be sent to them before use for the lap timing functions to work and the data to have that information included on the logged data file.

The GPS Manager program is included on the Race Studio 3 package and is used prior to the track session to "transmit" known track start/finish coordinates to the MXL2/MXG/MXS for all time (well, hopefully), then when the display logger gets a GPS lock, it knows where it is for lap time displays, et cetera.

When I send out display loggers, I send a questionnaire to the purchaser asking WHICH tracks they are going to go to (even remotely), then use GPS Manager to send the information to display loggers for those tracks.

After the data has been collected, and in the Race Studio Analysis software, after opeing the logged data file, use the "Lap manager"" tab on the bottom to show laps and if there's just a big one, use the "GPS Lap Insert: button on the top right to insert the right GPS position to break up the laps into the correct times. This works well when you've forgotton to send the track coordinates to the logger.

FInally, use the "Map" feature in the software to split the track up into segments for more detailed analysis, but this does not tell the display logger or the logged data file where start finish is...

HTH.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-25-2015, 10:30 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Matt, Peter, Thanks for your advice, wasn't able to get it to work today, looked like the versions are out of sync right now too. But also had some weird behavior today in the morning it acted like it was brand new with nothing ever been configured, after trying a number of things I gave up, but at the end of the day I went a head and downloaded the sessions as I can at least split them to review them and this time the dash remembered who it was and did show Blackhawk Farms at the only track on the dash but it didn't work at all today. I will play one more time tomorrow and see I can make any progress.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:43 AM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have it wrong and you have already done this...

Open GPS manager (or click the track button inside RS3). Search for Blackhawk Farms and on the right most part of the left side of the screen (so basically the middle of the screen) there is a wrench. Click that and it opens a window. On there somewhere you can tell it what GPS data to use. I am not it front of my computer so I forget the exact clicks. Pick any .gpk file you have from a session there. The file default location is c:\aim sport\race studio 3\data (or user)\user (data)\numerical date (like 4-24-2015). I don't have the exact right location there but you will find it. You can change the coordinates of the S/F then upload to the dash.

Quick Reply: MXL2 user problem