Notices

AiM 0-5Bar Oil Pressure Sensor vc. Factory 0-5Bar Oil Pressure Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:06 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts
Default AiM 0-5Bar Oil Pressure Sensor vc. Factory 0-5Bar Oil Pressure Sensor?

Quick question.... is the AiM 0-5Bar oil pressure sensor compatible with the factory 0-5Bar oil pressure sender on a 996 GT3 Cup (996-606-203-00)?

1. Is there a preference to run one (factory sensor) over the other (AiM sensor)?

2. Is it OK to wire both the factory harness and the AiM 2-wire harness into the terminals on the sensor? In other words, can the oil pressure sensor provide signal to both the MXL2 dash and the instrument cluster?

I checked the wiring diagram, and there is no connection from the oil pressure sensor to the DME, so I am guessing that this kind of wiring setup should work OK. And what is the trick for determining which terminal is GROUND on the sensor? I assume you can be guaranteed a wacky pressure reading if the leads are reversed? Thanks.

Toby
Old 04-12-2015, 08:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Toby, while I think it's fine to piggyback a voltage dividing sensor (0-5V, like a 951 TPS or suspension pots, which I do to run multiple data systems in my car), it is not ok to piggyback resistance sensors.

I tell people that it is not only a good idea to tee off an additional sensor, but it is also my only recommendation...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-12-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

I agree with Peter. I also tell people when you mess with the wiring of something, if you ever have trouble with it, you don't know if it's a bad sensor or wiring. That's why I don't advocate tapping into throttle position sensors and the like. You're better off adding another sensor.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter and Matt: Thank you both for the guidance. In looking at the wiring diagram or the car, it would appear that the oil pressure sensor is connected directly to the instrument cluster with no intervening connections through the DME. It would seem reasonable that I could simply obviate the connection to the instrument cluster, replace the factory sensor with the AiM 0-5Bar oil pressure sensor and connect the AiM oil pressure sensor directly to the MXL2.

I guess the remaining question I have is whether the factory sensor is interchangeable with the AiM 0-5Bar oil pressure sender. Both are VDO sensors measuring the same range. Any thoughts on this last question?

Thanks to you both for the information provided to us trying to learn how to best use these sensors and acquisition components in our cars.

Toby
Old 04-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I don't know which sensor the cup car uses. I would check with Jerry as he really knows the cups, how their wired, and what to do.

If it's the VDO, I would assume it's a resistance based sensor and you probably can't tap on to it. I prefer the KA sensors that AiM sells. They are a little more expensive but are more durable, smaller, and better quality.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt. I'm leaning towards simply installing the AiM oil pressure sensor (0-5Bar) and connecting it straight to the MXL2. This will obviate the instrument cluster oil pressure gauge and oil pressure idiot light, but they are not visible behind the MXL2 anyway!

Toby
Old 04-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The VDO sensors are just fine. I've sold a billion of them and many have been in formula and sports racers where they get beat up with vibrations and heat. For 40 bucks they can't be beat. The AIM KA sensors are okay but unless you really need to small size they aren't worth it for most applications.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The VDO senders are $72 and the KA $159. The VDO work fine in most applications, but the KA are much nicer. T

The difference doesn't matter to most people, but to some it does. I'd rather just feal with the one nice sender and not ever worry about it.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Toby, if you use a VDO sensor, make sure this harness comes with it:

Page 4 here: http://me-mo-tec.de/content/download.aspx?file=509
Old 04-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. Peter, yes I have both the AiM/VDO 0-5Bar sensor AND the associated cable that includes the resistor.

TBP

Quick Reply: AiM 0-5Bar Oil Pressure Sensor vc. Factory 0-5Bar Oil Pressure Sensor?