Notices

MXG alarms

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:48 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MXG alarms

Having had the MXG for a bit over 4 months now and feeling like a beta testers (which I had an idea of when I bought it), my biggest complaint was the alarm functionality. Now with the latest software (3.04.08) and firmware (1.12.55) I tried revisiting the alarm issue again. Things are getting better.

To get an alarm to work in the dash, you have to have the box checked next to that logic in RS3 when you transmit. A blank next to it means that function won't work. Maybe that was obvious...

Messages and pop up messages work, however it appears that you are limited to 8 total between the 2 options.

It appears to me that the dash is unable to deal with stacked alarm conditions. For example I set all my alarms to be triggered (used the steering angle sensor to turn the wheel to trigger the alarm so I could see what the dash would do if the water got over 230) and not all the alarms pop up messages appear. Some do, some don't. I would figure it would prioritize as listed in RS3 but that isn't happening. My first priority alarm has the LEDs working, but the pop up message is for the 2nd alarm. I think this is a huge error and needs some refinement on how the dash handles multiple simultaneous alarms. I have it set up for the alarm to be present until I hit a button, and the pop up message to be displayed for a certain period of time (only option). I would like it to be possible to have the pop up displayed until I hit a button....then the dash should go to the next priority alarm and so on. Would like it for the LEDs with the alarm to stay light and the press button takes the pop up message off the screen. I could be wrong however.

One thing I did notice that took awhile to get it right but kinda makes the display fun....font colors! I had been using the first dash option...only it only has 3 channel display options. So I changed to Driver display 5 V2 where you can have 6 channels showing. I have picked the following 6 channels: oil temp, water temp, battery, tranny temp (could pick something else as the 6th but it is there more as a curiosity- could have picked water pressure), fuel pressure and oil pressure. In the alarms section you can set an alarm you can pick "display measure". Then you pick which display measure you want to change font color, then you can pick the color- red, yellow, green or blue. I have it set up to on oil and water when they are below a certain temp (140 for oil, 150 for water) the font is blue (for cold). When it gets up to a certain temp it changes to green (for good), then yellow (for warning), and then red (for bad). I have similar settings for the battery voltage, fuel pressure and oil pressure. This way I can quickly glance down and if I see something that isn't green then I know I need to look closer. My only complaint with this is having to set these up as alarms. Would make more sense to me to have these color settings available on the display set up...maybe even having the ability to specify it lighting an LED from the display setup (sort of hybrid alarm/display setup).

Cool stuff. Can't wait to test it out on track.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Cool! Thanks for sharing!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-13-2015, 10:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I'd have to see how your dash is configured, but there is a limit of six alarms using a single light and 48 total alarm functions (alarms, popups, messages, etc). This is noted in the firmware release for 1.12.50. If you exceed those, you'll have trouble.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:06 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure exactly. Might be something to do with that. If I add up all the conditions I have 33 spread across 20 alarms. Across the same number of alarms I have 38 triggers. They were all working when I tested it with th steering angle sensor value as the tigger....but when i started the engine and wanted to watch the oil and water temp values change from blue to green, the numerical value was not showing up on the dash, but the colors were accurately changing.

If I add another message then the text box reverts to "enter message here" after I have typed it, hit enter, and saved the alarm.

Quick Reply: MXG alarms