Notices

Absolute Traqmate Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:17 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Absolute Traqmate Newbie

As part of a business transaction with a certain well known dromaeosaurid I purchased a car/trailer and a Traqmate Basic (maybe classic). Going to try the new rig this upcoming weekend and wondered if there are any quick tips for using this thing. I know I need to read the manual, and perhaps it would be better to wait.

Does this thing work automatically? I will be using it at TWS and TWS is already programmed in it. I'm hoping I can just turn it on. Links to good Traqmate forums?

Please excuse the noobness of the questions, as I'm in a bit of mental overload with lots of new stuff. New tow vehicle, first time trailering, new car to me, first time driving a caged car, first time on Motons, etc...

This TWS weekend is the shakedown for COTA next month.

Thanks,

-Mike

Last edited by TXE36; 03-03-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

That's fine.

The Traqmate Basic has no dash display. The Classic has a monochromatic round edge backlit display for simple measures. The antenna should be on the top of the car. The power should be key on. You must power it up with the power button on the left. The select or go forward with the green button on the right. Go back with the red button to the right of the green button.

Normal behavior is to turn it on and press the green button once (show laps), then again (record). To stop recording, push the red button and/or push and hold the power button.

You should power it up, select settings and use the down or up arrows to set driver/track/car, then back out using the red button.

Download Traqview for free from their site. Connect to the laptop and select the icon on the toolbar that looks like the Classic dash. Then press "Auto Connect" and the next dialog box will be the settings and contents of the TraqDash head unit. Make sure you save any changes.

There are plenty of good videos on the site and if you pony up $25, there's a good analysis webinar recording of analysis using Traqmate. Part 1 is a good start.

Its still a great little system and there are things you can do with it (especially with video) that even MoTeC, Cosworth, Bosch and AiM can't do...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Make sure the sensor unit (silver box) is level and the sockets for power/inputs/antenna are facing forward.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:04 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Thanks Peter. From your description, I've got a Classic, as it has a LCD display. Fortunately for me, it has been installed in the car for quite some time so at least I don't have to worry about install issues. It is battery powered and I have a spare battery as well.

I downloaded the software and was able to connect to the unit. I'll be happy if I can record a few sessions this weekend and then dive into it when I have more time. I'll look into that seminar.

-Mike
Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Battery powered? Why?
Old 03-04-2015, 09:37 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Follow the basic instructions to power on, and then start/finish (first lap out) and you'll be fine.

If I can, ANYBODY can. BTW, got my setup with cameras from Peter quite some time ago...when I upgrade, he will be the Man.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by sbelles
Battery powered? Why?
Just the way the PO installed it as he would sometimes use it in different vehicles. Will likely hardwire it once I have time. I've been too busy buying a tow vehicle and getting the seat fitment correct to worry about "little" things like the Traqmate in time for this coming weekend.

-Mike
Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Battery takes 2-3 hours to fully charge, longer if using car charger.

Battery lasts 4.5-5.5 hours if no backlight (press on the Traqmate writing above the LCD display to turn on and off), less if backlight is on.

I recommend hardwire in any case.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike: Getting it working is the (relatively) easy part. Figuring out what to do with the data is far more interesting. You, however, are in an ideal position. What you really really want is to get data from Dave and compare it to your own. It will tell you where you can go faster.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:19 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by DCP
Mike: Getting it working is the (relatively) easy part. Figuring out what to do with the data is far more interesting. You, however, are in an ideal position. What you really really want is to get data from Dave and compare it to your own. It will tell you where you can go faster.
Dave left some data on the unit. After watching the traction circle plot "play" all I can say is .

Right now all I want to do is get the car to the track in one piece, get familiar with it, and get it home in one piece.

I am anticipating a lot of fun and learning is to be had here. I'd be on cloud 9 if TWS weren't going away.

-Mike
Old 03-04-2015, 06:53 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be there this weekend too. If you have Dave TWS data and record your own, I can show you how to prepare a comparison if you bring your computer and have TraqView loaded on it. Dayle
Old 03-08-2015, 08:59 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Thanks for the help guys. I got data on each run I did including a new personal best.

I need to get my power hardwire back in - the GoPro only lasted 1/2 the day.

-Mike
Old 03-09-2015, 01:57 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Battery lasts 4.5-5.5 hours if no backlight (press on the Traqmate writing above the LCD display to turn on and off), less if backlight is on.
In all my time using Traqmates, I had no idea there was a backlight! I guess it pays to read the manual.

Mike, hope you had a good weekend, and congrats on the PB!
Old 03-09-2015, 04:21 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Thx. I wish the camera lens wasn't smudged. After turning a 2:02.3, I got greedy and did my first 360 at T6. Skip to 2:52 for that.

The battery on the Traqmate was a lot better than the GoPro, I only got two videos before it was out of juice and I didn't drive Sunday.

Best part of my weekend was my blue student who as leading congo lines on Saturday even with frequent point-bys. Figured out what was happening and he was on the pointy end Sunday in the wet . Never ceases to amaze me about just how important it is to get ones eyes up. The wet sessions with him on Sunday afternoon were some of the most fun I've had instructing. The '13 Mustang with track pads is faster than it looks.

-Mike

Last edited by TXE36; 03-09-2015 at 04:22 PM. Reason: My 360, not Danny's

Quick Reply: Absolute Traqmate Newbie