Notices

Calibrating an Aim MXL2

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:59 PM
wparente
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calibrating an Aim MXL2

None of the directions say much about setting up and calibrating an AIM MXL2 dash. Are you supposed to have the dash perfectly vertical or can you have a slant to it so you can see the screen better. If you have the dash tilted 10 to 15 degrees will the tilt be taken into account for the 3 axis G meter and Gyros when doing the auto calibrate for each axis? My guess is that you can have it angled because it doesn't say you shouldn't.
Bill Parenteau
Old 03-09-2015, 10:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Since the dash has roll, pitch and yaw sensors (X, Y and Z) as well as long, lat and vertical accelerometers, you MUST use the calibration feature on the right tab of the config. Auto calibrate and the accelerometers zero fine. Of course you can have it angled.

This is EXACTLY the same calibration procedure as the EVO 4...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 03-10-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

The closer to plumb and perpendicular to the car's longitudinal axis the better. If you're a couple of degrees off, it's nothing to worry about. If you were 45* off, you would want to find a better way to mount things!

The calibration corrects for the dash not being perfectly vertical and corrects through the other axis. You should be all set once you do the calibration (which should be a part of your morning track routine).
Old 03-10-2015, 03:20 PM
pmiranda
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you from this past weekend that the default filtering is insufficient. I haven't played with it more since I was preoccupied with unsuccessfully trying to get gear calculation to work. I wish I could just enter a simple table.

Top trace is GPS computed longitudinal G.<br/>Bottom trace is accelerometer X channel.

Quick Reply: Calibrating an Aim MXL2