Notices

Experimented with a data coaching program at Schnell Fest

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 12:19 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts
Default Experimented with a data coaching program at Schnell Fest

We tried a program for HPDE intermediate and advanced drivers this past weekend at COTA. There were three parts. The first part: the student drove their car for a session and collected data. The second part: they brought their data to a scheduled 1:1 classroom session with their data coach (held at multiple time slots over the weekend so that we could accomodate multiple drivers). The classroom was open for anyone to watch but focused on the scheduled driver's data. The third part was an on-track session with the data coach focused on actioning the data insights found in the classroom. In theory, it sounded great. In practice, we struggled with getting the data out of the car and into the classroom. This seems to be a hurdle for a lot of non-technical (hell, even technical) folks. AIM was the culprit, specifically Solo2/Smartycam setups. AIM was the most popular by far but seems to be really just used as an in-car lap timer by most. There was only one driver who was able to successfully pull their data and video from their car. He must have had all the correct device drivers installed. In general, we were really disappointed that we did not see this coming and find some more volunteers to help figure this part out. We've learned from this and will adjust for it next time. One data coach had 4 students, and each of the 4 classrooms had about 10 people watching.

As a side note, Track Precision does not work reliably with the latest circuit tools on PC or macOS. I like the simplicity of getting it running in the car and viewing the data; it's super simple to get the data visible on an iPad/monitor. If the tool were better, it would be the deal of the century, but alas, the tool is too dumbed down. Sectors, 2+ laps of overlaid data, etc., really need some love, BUT super easy to get working and most Porsches have it now. I've reached out to Racelogic with some examples of failure, but I suspect Porsche is the culprit.

Just thought I'd share what we're doing and invite comments/questions

The following 2 users liked this post by ShakeNBake:
mthreat (05-08-2024), ProCoach (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 01:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

For sure. The quick fix is to have them bring the camera card in only and import into RS3 Analysis. MUCH easier that way and any info on the video background will be available in the analysis program. 6 Hz with the SCHD V2.X and 20 Hz with the SC3 camera videos.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Matt Romanowski (05-06-2024), ShakeNBake (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 10:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

I'm happy to help you out on the AiM side. I've helped a lot of regions/chapters/groups with this exact thing. Peter's suggestion of having the student bring in the SCHD card is a good one and the easy button. The other is to bring in the S2DL. Then I would suggest not counting on the student to be technologically savvy. Assume you will run the tech part, they will do the drive part.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:53 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

With the high caliber VBox set up that I have, o g with the excellent operating instructions I received, I know downloading data will be a snap for me. It’s unfortunate that I had a conflict this past weekend and couldn’t make it. However, I’m really looking forward to the next one.

Last edited by LiveNupe; 05-07-2024 at 07:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 10:34 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I'm happy to help you out on the AiM side. I've helped a lot of regions/chapters/groups with this exact thing. Peter's suggestion of having the student bring in the SCHD card is a good one and the easy button. The other is to bring in the S2DL. Then I would suggest not counting on the student to be technologically savvy. Assume you will run the tech part, they will do the drive part.
yeah, I want to get involved directly next time so I can learn how to get the data off. The AI and student struggled to get both video and data.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:36 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
yeah, I want to get involved directly next time so I can learn how to get the data off. The AI and student struggled to get both video and data.
Feel free to reach out if you want some help. I can usually get people going with training and some profiles.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:39 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
With the high caliber VBox set up that I have, o g with the excellent operating instructions I received, I know downloading data will be a snap for me. It’s unfortunate that I had a conflict this past weekend and couldn’t make it. However, I’m really looking forward to the next one.
We lucked out and It ended up being an amazing weekend, we missed the rain. Pretty clean event, easy to run. Next event is in Nov, we're running it combined with the Porsche Carrera endurance race over three days.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:40 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Feel free to reach out if you want some help. I can usually get people going with training and some profiles.
Appreciate it, I will probably do that. Next event is in November.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:40 AM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

2nd for having them bring the S2DL. In the small group coaching I do with COM Sports Car Club, I've worked with groups of 3-5 people, where we have 30-60 minutes between sessions. It's a lot to juggle, but being able to quickly download data and bring it up in pre-built profiles is key,
ProCoach (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 02:41 AM
mthreat
Pro

Received 357 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
We tried a program for HPDE intermediate and advanced drivers this past weekend at COTA. There were three parts. The first part: the student drove their car for a session and collected data. The second part: they brought their data to a scheduled 1:1 classroom session with their data coach (held at multiple time slots over the weekend so that we could accomodate multiple drivers). The classroom was open for anyone to watch but focused on the scheduled driver's data. The third part was an on-track session with the data coach focused on actioning the data insights found in the classroom. In theory, it sounded great. In practice, we struggled with getting the data out of the car and into the classroom. This seems to be a hurdle for a lot of non-technical (hell, even technical) folks. AIM was the culprit, specifically Solo2/Smartycam setups. AIM was the most popular by far but seems to be really just used as an in-car lap timer by most. There was only one driver who was able to successfully pull their data and video from their car. He must have had all the correct device drivers installed. In general, we were really disappointed that we did not see this coming and find some more volunteers to help figure this part out. We've learned from this and will adjust for it next time. One data coach had 4 students, and each of the 4 classrooms had about 10 people watching.

As a side note, Track Precision does not work reliably with the latest circuit tools on PC or macOS. I like the simplicity of getting it running in the car and viewing the data; it's super simple to get the data visible on an iPad/monitor. If the tool were better, it would be the deal of the century, but alas, the tool is too dumbed down. Sectors, 2+ laps of overlaid data, etc., really need some love, BUT super easy to get working and most Porsches have it now. I've reached out to Racelogic with some examples of failure, but I suspect Porsche is the culprit.

Just thought I'd share what we're doing and invite comments/questions
I signed up for this class, I was the one using the Porsche Track Precision App. The class was good, I got something out of it. I agree the Track Precision App is frustrating, and more so because it has so much potential to be really useful. After the weekend, I did find that it has an "Add comparison lap" feature, but I can't figure out what it's actually doing so it's not useful yet.

I sent a .vbo file from the Track Precision App to Jacy after the event, and he is in contact with Racelogic, who apparently wrote the app for Porsche. Maybe this will help them fix the bug with exporting the .vbo file to Circuit Tools. I think this could be a popular class once the data export/import problems are solved. I can imagine using data to look at setting the GT3 RS's compression/rebound settings and PTV+ accel/decel settings to see which settings are faster through certain corners.
LiveNupe (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 06:12 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 99 Posts

Maybe a bit of a learning curve but downloading the data from AIM devices is super easy and takes no more than 30 sec. All of those should have the wifi option and can be connected from any laptop that has race studio.
This is a great idea. Hope you sort the issues going forward.
LiveNupe (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Pulling the data from just the video card is a great tool, unless you need to dig for more information.

You can do everything you need in these short consults from the SD card.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A really powerful and easy way I've seen programs be successful is with the plain Solo 2. They are inexpensive and easy to install. The person just has to turn it on and mount it with the suction cup. Then they bring it back, download the data, and the teaching ensues. If there is interest, I'm happy to host a webinar and share some of the different ways I've seen them used with great success. The methods vary a lot, but they fit the group and volunteers very well.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:35 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Like Matt, I've supplied and trained a number of Regions and Chapterswify a variety of solutions to do just that, initiate a data review to add value to the solo driver experiences personalized, targeted coaching and review.

My experience is that video is an integral, necessary part of any of this. The driver that isn't already familiar with making sense of squiggly lines (and even most instructors that are) need to see the attitude, heading and angle of the car to determine WHY they aren't on the throttle or adding. Plus, a simple review of the lateral placement of the car can not only answer a lot of questions but streamline what to do next.
mthreat (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 01:35 PM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm in HCR PCA and help run the AutoX events and am familiar with the AIM Solo2/Smartycam setups. Ping me if you want some further help that's local.
The following 2 users liked this post by stellman:
ProCoach (05-09-2024), ShakeNBake (05-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Experimented with a data coaching program at Schnell Fest