Notices

AiM MXS install into 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 04:18 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
U almost have to put your brain in a different mindset for setting up an aim. The program is very powerful and versital. The problem is to be that way u (end user) has to set up the inputs, pathways and outputs. There is a very specific way to do this but u have to learn it. The aim youtube posts r long and hard to sort through and for some reason they cant put a ? botton next to stuff that brings up a drop down window with an explaination when u pass over it. This is why most have chosen to go with a Garmin as its super easy to set up and interpret but its limited.

Its amost like a bunch or race car computer nerds developed the software and beta tested it with another group of computer nerds. The format isnt very intuitive but its worth learning.

Im still trying to get a tpms system working after 6 months so dont get to fustrated.
Progress! I now have RPMs and throttle percent. It was so cool to have the shift lights come on as I rowed through the gears. Totally worth the purchase just for that, frankly.

Few questions:
1) gear number wasn't always correct. I initially inputted the ratios from a 997 gt3 trans (beacuse that's what I have in my car), but when I would shift into 4th the gear on the screen would say "3", and when I shifted into 5th it would say "4" etc. !, 2 and 3 were correct. Do I need to input the gears ratios from a 996 gt3 instead? maybe my wheel diameter calc is wrong..? any ideas?

2) I could not pull GPS speed. Even though AiM is telling me that the GPS signal/connectiom is "good" I wasn't able to pull speed. I tried selecting 'GPS speed" and "GPS SpdAccuracy" in RS3, but no dice. What did give me speed was selecting "P911 Speed1" from the ECU. I woudl rather have GPS speed as (I'm assuming) it is more accurate. What do I need to do to get GPS speed?

3) what is "P911 Enginemoment" in the ECU?

4) is there a way for AiM to tell you when a CEL appears?

I totally forgot to mention that I did not buy a sensor for the oil pressure. I assumed--incorrectly--that I'd be able to pull it into AiM somehow because oil pressure it displayed in the stock dash. I will buy that sensor and see how it goes!
Old 10-18-2023, 05:09 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,822 Posts

I will check tonight for the speedo setting.

I used a 1/8" npt pressure sender from matt r and his longest cable. U may even need an extra 1-2meters. I used an adaptor under the factory oil pressure sender. Its a 14mm 1.5 pitch steel adaptor from pegasis racing. I thought the aluminum version might snap.

Old 10-18-2023, 05:11 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

For the gear calc, mine works flawless so u must have a number or decimal off.

3. No clue
4. Not to my knowledge.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

The gear calc is dependent on RPMS's matching and tracking speed. A small discrepancy in any of the entered information can make especially the upper gears finicky.

For example, if you dip the clutch and revs go to idle, but you're going 50 mph, it will read top gear, no matter what gear is selected.

You need to monitor live measures in Race Studio 3 to determine what is going on with GPS speed. Again, if the reference is not specified and enabled in Parameters, it won't work correctly.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-18-2023, 08:27 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

My gps speed settings.

Under the channels tab u need to have gps checked and here is my display tab too

Old 10-19-2023, 10:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

@De Jeeper put up your Parameters tab
Old 10-23-2023, 02:54 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
My gps speed settings.

Under the channels tab u need to have gps checked and here is my display tab too

Progress! GPS speed is now working nicely. Appears to be accurate, too (I drove by a radar speed sensor a few times at different speeds to see how well it correlates generally).

Gear number still isn’t correct. It improved in the sense that it now knows when I reach 4th gear after I told RS3 to use GPS speed for the ‘precalgear’ math settings. However, once I shift into 5th and 6th it still tells me that I am in 4th. Here is the math tab for my gearing. Again, I have a 997 GT3 trans in my 996 GT3, so not sure which gear ratios I need to input… Any advice regarding getting the correct gear to be displayed?

Old 10-23-2023, 03:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Man, uncheck that PPS in the Channels tab. Already taken care of in the ECU Stream. Please.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:02 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Man, uncheck that PPS in the Channels tab. Already taken care of in the ECU Stream. Please.
Done thank you for pointing that out! And thank you for telling me about selecting GPS speed in the parameters tab.

any idea what I should do regarding the gear ratios in my math tab? Can I just input numbers to “trick” the display into telling me the correct gear? When I shift into 6th it thinks I’m in 5th… Gears 1-4 are working properly.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T3C
Can I just input numbers to “trick” the display into telling me the correct gear? When I shift into 6th it thinks I’m in 5th… Gears 1-4 are working properly.
Sure. Shouldn't have to, if you have the numbers for the 997 GT3 gearbox and you KNOW that's what's in the box.

But this is typical if the fourth/fifth/sixth numbers are a little off. The calculation gets worse in the higher gears because the multiplier is greater for every 1000 RPM.

Fiddle with it. It's probably not far off, but enough to throw off the top two gears, for sure.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:20 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Sorry u was in track at watkins all weekend. Ill get that parameter tab pic up even if its not needed anymore.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Since you can drive it on the street, I would just go with the calculated gear and let the dash figure out the ratios. That will save you a lot of messing around and guessing.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:25 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Since you can drive it on the street, I would just go with the calculated gear and let the dash figure out the ratios. That will save you a lot of messing around and guessing.
How do I do that exactly (“let the dash figure out ratios”)?
Old 10-23-2023, 06:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T3C
How do I do that exactly (“let the dash figure out ratios”)?
A little older, but still good info. If you have an hour or so:
Old 10-23-2023, 06:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

In the math channels of your config, choose add channel, then calculated gear. Set it like below. Then in the menus on the dash, menu > run gear calc. You then have to drive, accelerating some amount, in each gear. You don't have to go fast or long in each gear. Once you are through each gear, the dash does the calculation for you based on the actual run out of the tires, gear ratios, and ring/pinion. I've always had good success with this method and my customers have as well.

Quick Reply: AiM MXS install into 996 GT3