Notices

AiM MXS install into 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 03:49 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default AiM MXS install into 996 GT3

Cross-posting a thread as I attempt to install this AiM dash into my 996 GT3.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post19059868

Can anyone help provide some guidance in terms of which wires I need to be searching for?

pic for attention

Old 10-14-2023, 04:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Here.

Will just add that at the very end of the 996 GT3 model run, they began with the updated ECU for the 997 Mk1 GT3.

The earlier 996 GT3's used this pair and the Make: Bosch Model: Porsche 911 (996). Not much info but good enough.

The latest (last few) use a yellow/white-black/white pair and the later Make: Porsche Model: 997 GT3 protocol. Much more info.

If you don't find the grey/blue pair, let me know and I'll send you the late model sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
996 GT3 CAN.pdf (509.6 KB, 38 views)
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-14-2023 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2023, 04:17 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Here:
I am not sure I have a gray CAN- wire… I have a twisted blue-black/white-black, though.

Here is a picture of the loom next to my fuse box.

Which twisted wire pair should I be targeting?
Old 10-14-2023, 05:02 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Default Eureka

Here.

Will just add that at the very end of the 996 GT3 model run, they began with the updated ECU for the 997 Mk1 GT3.

The earlier 996 GT3's used this pair and the Make: Bosch Model: Porsche 911 (996). Not much info but good enough.

The latest (last few) use a yellow/white-black/white pair and the later Make: Porsche Model: 997 GT3 protocol. Much more info.

If you don't find the grey/blue pair, let me know and I'll send you the late model sheet.
You were right about having to dig for the grey/blue twisted pair, but I found it!

My GT3 is an ‘04.

Other than tapping into these two wires, what other wires do I need to utilize from the stock cabling?
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-14-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 05:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Just switched power and ground for the dash. Power can come off any fuse on the bottom row of your fuse box. Ground from the forward fuse box hold down stud (6mm nut/10mm wrench size).

You'll get very basic information. RPM, accelerator pedal position, water temp, intake air temp and brake switch (on/off). If you want more, you'll need to add AiM sensors. Some folks add an oil pressure switch (or convert the existing switch using a VDO gauge connector harness like this one: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=6158). It's plenty of information to improve your driving and keep track of temps and pressures (if you add the oil pressure sensor harness).
Old 10-14-2023, 05:50 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Just switched power and ground for the dash. Power can come off any fuse on the bottom row of your fuse box. Ground from the forward fuse box hold down stud (6mm nut/10mm wrench size).

You'll get very basic information. RPM, accelerator pedal position, water temp, intake air temp and brake switch (on/off). If you want more, you'll need to add AiM sensors. Some folks add an oil pressure switch (or convert the existing switch using a VDO gauge connector harness like this one: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=6158). It's plenty of information to improve your driving and keep track of temps and pressures (if you add the oil pressure sensor harness).
Is gear number part of that basic data? If not, which sensor do I need to get for that to appear on the AiM screen?
Old 10-14-2023, 06:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T3C
Is gear number part of that basic data? If not, which sensor do I need to get for that to appear on the AiM screen?
You will set that up in the dash configuration under the tab Math Channels. Click add, select Pre-Calculated Gear, then enter your intermediate ratios, final drive ratio and rear wheel circumference using GPS speed.

Save, then under the display tab, associate the big number in the center with the math channel Pre-Calc Gear, save again and send to the dash.

You'll set up under the ECU Stream the Vehicle Make: Bosch, then the Model: Porsche 911 (996). A lot more that you can do but that will get you started.

It calculates the gear by how many 100 RPM per MPH GPS speed.

Honestly, the 996 is twenty years old, on the cusp of internal sensors and internal CAN bus networks (that sensor information being shared among a bunch of computers in the car). Very basic. The very first Porsche to give usable information to data loggers with just two wires.

Now? 50+ channels from a 718 GT4 RS! Everything got pretty good after 2012, the best after 2016. But you'll be able to do everything you need to do with what you have.
Old 10-14-2023, 06:54 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

You will set that up in the dash configuration under the tab Math Channels. Click add, select Pre-Calculated Gear, then enter your intermediate ratios, final drive ratio and rear wheel circumference using GPS speed.

Save, then under the display tab, associate the big number in the center with the math channel Pre-Calc Gear, save again and send to the dash.

You'll set up under the ECU Stream the Vehicle Make: Bosch, then the Model: Porsche 911 (996). A lot more that you can do but that will get you started.

It calculates the gear by how many 100 RPM per MPH GPS speed.

Honestly, the 996 is twenty years old, on the cusp of internal sensors and internal CAN bus networks (that sensor information being shared among a bunch of computers in the car). Very basic. The very first Porsche to give usable information to data loggers with just two wires.

Now? 50+ channels from a 718 GT4 RS! Everything got pretty good after 2012, the best after 2016. But you'll be able to do everything you need to do with what you have.
Thank you so much for all your help! I’m sure I’ll have a couple more questions once the unit arrives and I can start fiddling with it later this week.

I definitely owe you a 6-pack!
Old 10-15-2023, 08:43 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,518 Likes on 1,854 Posts

I responded in your gt3 cross post. I have the mxl2 wires up in my car with a bunch of sensors. Lmk if u want to go further for more data.

Externally i grab oil temp, oil pressure, trans oil temp and. I also have a tpms set up but i havent been able to get it to work all season. The aim system is very powerful but extreamly fustrating to set up. Its amazing that they figured out how to get this amazing amount of data and process it but they cant develop a decent set up interface.

Lmk if u need help on the gear posision math channel. I can send i a pic of the formula i use.

U can see how i set up my smartycam vids with the data streaming.

https://youtu.be/BxYijllqzTo?si=s-Hwhfwe-L-9JBFK

Last edited by De Jeeper; 10-15-2023 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2023, 10:22 AM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I responded in your gt3 cross post. I have the mxl2 wires up in my car with a bunch of sensors. Lmk if u want to go further for more data.

Externally i grab oil temp, oil pressure, trans oil temp and. I also have a tpms set up but i havent been able to get it to work all season. The aim system is very powerful but extreamly fustrating to set up. Its amazing that they figured out how to get this amazing amount of data and process it but they cant develop a decent set up interface.

Lmk if u need help on the gear posision math channel. I can send i a pic of the formula i use.

U can see how i set up my smartycam vids with the data streaming.

https://youtu.be/BxYijllqzTo?si=s-Hwhfwe-L-9JBFK
Please share your formula to determine gear position. My trans is transplanted from a 7.1 GT3, but gearing from a 6.2 GT3 should be similar enough (I think).

Do I just need to install Race Studio 3 to do all this?

I really just want RPMs, shift lights and gear position. Brake pressure and throttle position would need nice, but doesn’t sound like I’ll get brake pressure. What wires are you tapping into to get oil pressure/temp and trans temp?
Old 10-15-2023, 11:05 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

I use the sendors/sensors from aim. I have just installed sensor adaptors and tapped into the system. I put a brake sensor from @NaroEscape to read brake pressure.

Yes install rs3. Here is my set up config.

Old 10-15-2023, 11:28 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I put a brake sensor from @NaroEscape to read brake pressure.
this plus an AiM sensor? https://naroescapemotorsports.com/pr...ensor-adapter/
Old 10-15-2023, 11:30 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Yea and @Matt Romanowski is a good vendor for sensors and cables.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

@NaroEscape is a leading AiM dealer and can supply all the cables and sensors as well. Bob and Nadine are terrific resources.
The following users liked this post:
NaroEscape (10-26-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 11:57 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Thanks De Jeeper!

Bob is great and it's worth saving the shipping if you get the hose from him, grab the sensor and patch cable too.

@NaroEscape is a leading AiM dealer and can supply all the cables and sensors as well. Bob and Nadine are terrific resources.
How heavy is that monkey?

Quick Reply: AiM MXS install into 996 GT3