Notices

Tpms setting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 12:41 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Default Tpms setting?

Im setting up my remote tpms sensors in my mlx2. I want the screen to flash white when the tire temp is warmed up but i dont know what is a good warm temp. Running a nt-01 on a 6-gt3 car. Im also figuring ill pick the right rear for the alert. Any better way to set up the alert?

thx,
Aaron

edit: i figured out how to light the leds so im gonna use 4 of them to light up geen, 1 for each corner.

Last edited by De Jeeper; 03-23-2023 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

160-165 is the bottom end.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-23-2023, 06:17 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Thx coach
Old 03-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

The TPMS temp is the air temp in the tire, not the surface temp. The 165 Pete refers to is would be a surface temp, not air temp.

The temp number you have is for calculating build and hot/cold pressures. IMHO, it's not good for seeing if the tires are hot. Use pressure to see what the tires are doing. For temps, you need to have e IR sensors, not TPMS temps.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (03-23-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 11:49 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Well thats disappointing....IR sensors r not in the budget this year.

I built some math channels using ambient temp and 50* offset and then im going to compare it to the temp to give me a blue or green led so i can use it as a general rule. Of course ill have the test the offset to see if im close. I also built some display screens for the tmps temp and pressure so u can monitor it.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:35 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 528 Posts

I wouldn't waste my time with tire temps off the sensor. I haven't found that useful at all. I also run IR sensors which are the cat's meow. Make sure you set a low tire pressure warning though and don't get too fixated on your actual live pressures.

It takes about 5 laps on most tracks to get to target pressures. You can be up to target tire surface temps in 2 laps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frank 993 C4S:
Matt Romanowski (03-25-2023), ProCoach (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 07:40 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I wouldn't waste my time with tire temps off the sensor. I haven't found that useful at all. I also run IR sensors which are the cat's meow. Make sure you set a low tire pressure warning though and don't get too fixated on your actual live pressures.

It takes about 5 laps on most tracks to get to target pressures. You can be up to target tire surface temps in 2 laps.

Thx for the advice. I can usually feel the tires getting sticky but was looking for some validation. I have tire temps and pressures set up on other screen windows to view when i get back into the paddock. I dont plan on veiwing the actual values while driving. I guess ill budget for ir sensors next year.

Alarms r already set up....i lost 2 tires last year, 1 corded and the other got a large screw in it while on track. Not a fun experience and pressure warnings would have helped. I have them flashjng the screen red at 25 psi.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:56 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Thx for the advice. I can usually feel the tires getting sticky but was looking for some validation. I have tire temps and pressures set up on other screen windows to view when i get back into the paddock. I dont plan on veiwing the actual values while driving. I guess ill budget for ir sensors next year.

Alarms r already set up....i lost 2 tires last year, 1 corded and the other got a large screw in it while on track. Not a fun experience and pressure warnings would have helped. I have them flashjng the screen red at 25 psi.
Sounds good. I would make sure that you set the alarms at higher than the lowest pressure you would ever go out on. It's distracting to roll to grid with the display flashing. I have also found there to be a discrepancy between the TPMS display and the tire pressure gauge. It's relatively small, like 1 - 2 PSI and it is inconsistent, so my tire pressure gauge has the final say.

I view the IR temps and pressures on secondary screens during the outlap so I understand my tire condition before the green flies. It also allows you to judge what tire warming techniques are most effective. I monitor the IR sensors actively during rain races in an effort to keep heat in my rain tires. Likewise, during drying conditions, I use the IR sensors to make sure that my rain tires do not overheat. We primarily us the IR sensors for chassis tuning - great tool! If you are planning to use the AIM IR sensors, they are great and easy to install, but they are prone to being hit by rocks. I lose one at least every other race weekend, sometimes more often.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:17 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Well thats disappointing....
I would argue that IR temps sensors don't tell you the whole story. Every tire engineer I have talked says you need to measure the tires with a probe sensor to find out what is really going on with a tire.....
Old 03-25-2023, 08:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I would argue that IR temps sensors don't tell you the whole story. Every tire engineer I have talked says you need to measure the tires with a probe sensor to find out what is really going on with a tire.....
I havent found many that have used them!

Quick Reply: Tpms setting?