AiM iPhone App?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:38 AM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
We did

Their are 2 guys working on this in Italy. They had a great developer previously and his shoes are not easy to fill, but the new people are doing well.
Nope. A 1+ year delay is not due to a "great" developer leaving.

Not to make excuses, but they have had tremendous growth in the last few years. With that growth has been some challenges, but it's not for lack of effort. They have been adding people and working on the issues people have.

Can it be frustrating? Sure. Are they working on it? Yes.
Once again, Nope. They sold their product based on a promise. It's 100% due to lack of effort because a 1+ year delay on something as simple as a iPhone application is because of a lack of effort/planning.

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
I don't know the internal workings over at AIM, but it seems they try to do too much, with too little. And it is extremely frustrating to be one of their customers, dealing with so many software issues.
Yes. It doesn't matter if they are "trying". They should not market a product without the intentions/knowledge to deliver that product with said features in the time they said they would do it. I understand delays, but.... 1.5 years WOW.

All this comes from someone who is a developer. So it's not like I'm rambling/don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just getting super frustrated I spent the money to upgrade from the Solo DL to the Solo 2 DL PURELY for this ability. And the thing that irritates me is, the customer service has been god awful.

I've tried to reach out to them to understand how their protocol works just so I can help (for free) get them going and potentially combine the app I'm developing, in tandem, with theirs. I emailed 4 different people (including the contact I got from Peter) and I have yet to receive a single response over a period of 6 months. It's truly absurd to me that people are standing up for this company when they have pretty much lied to consumers and provided no response for 1.5 years. In most other industries, they would have been sued by now.

Last edited by gtreddy; 06-04-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 543 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by gtreddy
Nope. A 1+ year delay is not due to a "great" developer leaving.

Once again, Nope. They sold their product based on a promise. It's 100% due to lack of effort because a 1+ year delay on something as simple as a iPhone application is because of a lack of effort/planning.

Yes. It doesn't matter if they are "trying". They should not market a product without the intentions/knowledge to deliver that product with said features in the time they said they would do it. I understand delays, but.... 1.5 years WOW.

All this comes from someone who is a developer. So it's not like I'm rambling/don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just getting super frustrated I spent the money to upgrade from the Solo DL to the Solo 2 DL PURELY for this ability. And the thing that irritates me is, the customer service has been god awful.

I've tried to reach out to them to understand how their protocol works just so I can help (for free) get them going and potentially combine the app I'm developing, in tandem, with theirs. I emailed 4 different people (including the contact I got from Peter) and I have yet to receive a single response over a period of 6 months. It's truly absurd to me that people are standing up for this company when they have pretty much lied to consumers and provided no response for 1.5 years. In most other industries, they would have been sued by now.
As a developer, you also understand how quickly priorities based on need or demand can change. As a long time IT project manger, I saw it all the time - we were developing something to a deadline that had been promoted by the business, only to be told that something else took priority and to shelve it - or put less effort into the original project. Yes, AiM has a habit of promoting things before they're ready, but I truely beleive in this case that they felt like they were SOMEWHAT on track, then other bigger priorities took over and pushed the iOS project to the side a little. They've been pulled into a lot of custom work lately, plus upgrading and advancing their product lines to stay ahead of the curve...but they have limited resources to handle everything. Not to mention the never ending protocol requirements that all the car manufacturers keep putting out that need to be updated. And as Peter noted, most dealers, coaches and super users of AiM products would rather see integrated video/data along the lines of VBox than an iOS app, so AiM's priorities I'm sure have moved to who yells the loudest.

No, this doesn't excuse the expectations that have been set, but again, as a developer, you know that Marketing typically is always WAY more optimistic about product launches than the rest of the team is and tends to jump the gun on promoting "vapor"ware before it's "reality"ware.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 06-04-2019, 09:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Good post, Bob.

It really shouldn’t be this hard...
Old 06-04-2019, 09:50 AM
gtreddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
As a developer, you also understand how quickly priorities based on need or demand can change. As a long time IT project manger, I saw it all the time - we were developing something to a deadline that had been promoted by the business, only to be told that something else took priority and to shelve it - or put less effort into the original project. Yes, AiM has a habit of promoting things before they're ready, but I truely beleive in this case that they felt like they were SOMEWHAT on track, then other bigger priorities took over and pushed the iOS project to the side a little. They've been pulled into a lot of custom work lately, plus upgrading and advancing their product lines to stay ahead of the curve...but they have limited resources to handle everything. Not to mention the never ending protocol requirements that all the car manufacturers keep putting out that need to be updated. And as Peter noted, most dealers, coaches and super users of AiM products would rather see integrated video/data along the lines of VBox than an iOS app, so AiM's priorities I'm sure have moved to who yells the loudest.

No, this doesn't excuse the expectations that have been set, but again, as a developer, you know that Marketing typically is always WAY more optimistic about product launches than the rest of the team is and tends to jump the gun on promoting "vapor"ware before it's "reality"ware.

There’s a difference between optimistic and flat out lying. If we promised to deliver a feature in a few weeks and then went radio silent for 1.5 years, you better believe there would be repercussions.

Also, the video component has been a want since the Solo 1 so why didn’t they prioritize/market that over the iPhone app with the Solo 2? They didn’t have to market the iPhone App.

What it all boils down too, is there is no excuse. Whether it be poor planning or over marketing. Yes, priorities shift, but shifting a priority from a promised few weeks to what has now become 1.5 years is beyond acceptable to me, as as a project manager and developer, for a consumer facing product.

It’s hard for me to understand any rational circumstance where a consumer buys a product based on a feature the manufacturer promises and the priority shifts, behind the scenes, to a priority that the manufacturer has yet to promise and that’s OK. I personally didn’t buy the unit for video sync and they didn’t promise video sync. I bought it because I tend to not have time to carry a laptop/analyze on track days and would like to have a way to quickly digest information. I get super users would prefer one feature over the other, but the consumer like me feels duped since I purchased the product for a use case the company itself said it would provide only for it to get bumped by use cases not promised when I purchased it.

But it seems that I am in the minority on this stance, which is fine. The thing is, if the non-super user like me doesn’t keep voicing their opinion, only the people who have a direct line of contact with the manufacturer will be heard and that perpetuates the problem. Most of the people on here responding in “defense” (anyone that says, “it’s not an excuse but...”) are dealers for AIM. Speaks volumes to me. But it’s only my opinion and take.

Last edited by gtreddy; 06-04-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 AM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

You’re not alone in your frustrations. I bought into the Aim system last year and I think it’s garbage. The PC apps are like relics from Windows 3.11. Powerful, yes, but needs a complete overhaul. The hardware is ancient technology too. Smartycam HD is about the same video quality as a GoPro 2 and the audio is not usable without an external mic. No phone app is insane in 2019. Tiny startups like Apex Pro or Lit Pro have great mobile apps with minimal resources. Harrys laptimer is fantastic. Bigger players like Racelogic and Race Navigator haven’t neglected this.

I am not sure if Aim is the market leader in terms of size or revenue, but they must be up near the top. Their lack of development progress is not excusable.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

There’s a difference between optimistic and flat out lying. If we promised to deliver a feature in a few weeks and then went radio silent for 1.5 years, you better believe there would be repercussions.

Also, the video component has been a want since the Solo 1 so why didn’t they prioritize/market that over the iPhone app with the Solo 2? They didn’t have to market the iPhone App.

What it all boils down too, is there is no excuse. Whether it be poor planning or over marketing. Yes, priorities shift, but shifting a priority from a promised few weeks to what has now become 1.5 years is beyond acceptable to me, as as a project manager and developer, for a consumer facing product.

It’s hard for me to understand any rational circumstance where a consumer buys a product based on a feature the manufacturer promises and the priority shifts, behind the scenes, to a priority that the manufacturer has yet to promise and that’s OK. I personally didn’t buy the unit for video sync and they didn’t promise video sync. I bought it because I tend to not have time to carry a laptop/analyze on track days and would like to have a way to quickly digest information. I get super users would prefer one feature over the other, but the consumer like me feels duped since I purchased the product for a use case the company itself said it would provide only for it to get bumped by use cases not promised when I purchased it.

But it seems that I am in the minority on this stance, which is fine. The thing is, if the non-super user like me doesn’t keep voicing their opinion, only the people who have a direct line of contact with the manufacturer will be heard and that perpetuates the problem. Most of the people on here responding in “defense” (anyone that says, “it’s not an excuse but...”) are dealers for AIM. Speaks volumes to me. But it’s only my opinion and take.
I hear your frustration. If your dealer sold you on the app or integration - they lied to you. There has never been a release date on those features. I understand your frustration and wish I could help you out more. I don't believe you got your unit from me, but if I can help at all, my cell is 603-674-3250.

Originally Posted by AZWCat
You’re not alone in your frustrations. I bought into the Aim system last year and I think it’s garbage. The PC apps are like relics from Windows 3.11. Powerful, yes, but needs a complete overhaul. The hardware is ancient technology too. Smartycam HD is about the same video quality as a GoPro 2 and the audio is not usable without an external mic. No phone app is insane in 2019. Tiny startups like Apex Pro or Lit Pro have great mobile apps with minimal resources. Harrys laptimer is fantastic. Bigger players like Racelogic and Race Navigator haven’t neglected this.

I am not sure if Aim is the market leader in terms of size or revenue, but they must be up near the top. Their lack of development progress is not excusable.
I think comparing AiM to Apex Pro is pretty unfair as they are very different devices with different feature sets. Different systems have different features and options. There are comparably few systems that offer phone integration in a useful way. Just like above, if I can help you out with something, even if you didn't buy from me, call me 603-674-3250. If you hate your AiM so much you want out of it, I'll help you with that as well.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:02 PM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

Matt, thanks for your offer. I may take you up on it.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

I hear your frustration. If your dealer sold you on the app or integration - they lied to you. There has never been a release date on those features. I understand your frustration and wish I could help you out more. I don't believe you got your unit from me, but if I can help at all, my cell is 603-674-3250.
Thanks Matt. And by the way, my goal was not to lash at you in anyway so sorry if it came off that way. Re-reading my response, I can see it being perceived that way.

The dealer didn't mention it to me, so its not their fault. I took AIM at their word in their version 1.0 user guide (which I studied in depth to inform my decision on whether the upgrade from the 1 to the 2 would be worth it). In version 1 from early 2018, as pointed out above, the wording reads: "An app for iPhone is coming! In a few weeks you will be able to analyse essential data on your iPhone; furthermore, you will be able to see in real time all the values Solo 2 DL samples, upgrade its firmware, create new tracks as well as update your database and modify Wi-Fi settings."

It is what it is, just a little frustrated it doesn't exist and even more frustrated I can't even reach a single person that can give me some technical guidance so I can at least try to code something for myself.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:06 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 543 Likes on 287 Posts

I think comparing AiM to Apex Pro is pretty unfair as they are very different devices with different feature sets. Different systems have different features and options. There are comparably few systems that offer phone integration in a useful way. Just like above, if I can help you out with something, even if you didn't buy from me, call me 603-674-3250. If you hate your AiM so much you want out of it, I'll help you with that as well.
totally agree with Matt here - Apex Pro and AiM are very different systems. We are a dealer for both and I've spent a lot of time with the Apex Pro guys and sold a bunch of them. Their ENTIRE business model was built around iOS app functionality and what its capable of, and what it's limitations are. That said, notice they DO NOT have an Android version, with no foreseeable plans to release one. Why? It's not that simple...Even when you build your whole product around mobile app functionality.

I had originally started a post responding to Peter's "It really shouldn’t be this hard..." comment....but yes..it is. Doing things rendered on a small mobile screen has it's limitations - we all know that apps are very limited in functionality compared to their cooresponding software or websites. And with something like AiM, it is very dependent on the hardware it receives the data from, and how it renders and communicates that data. Just think about all the functionality of RS Analysis...how would you render that on iOS? What would you be willing to leave out? How about what RS3 does? Configuring every single product? Could that be done in an app? Where do you draw the line on what stays and what goes?

And lets not discuss all the little glitches even the supposedly stable RS3/Analysis has that all of us learn work arounds for, with patches and upgrades coming out often. What's the first thing we all say when someone has an issue? "is your firmware up to date? Are you using the most recent version of RS3?" How do you keep that updated with the app?

AiM hardware is infinitely more complicated and capable than something like and Apex Pro. And most likely was never built to render infomation in a form that an App can process. My guess is that its not just the app...its a complete rewrite of how the hardware would communicate with the app in a way to make the user experience useful without dumbing it all down to become useless.

EDIT: gtreddy - and I am not defending or excusing AiM for falsely promoting something that doesn't seem to have a timeline. Even if they explained to the world WHY they are so late, i think that would help, but you are correct, there is no excuse to say something is coming out SOON then go dark for a very long time about it.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:16 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

I had originally started a post responding to Peter's "It really shouldn’t be this hard..." comment....but yes..it is. Doing things rendered on a small mobile screen has it's limitations - we all know that apps are very limited in functionality compared to their cooresponding software or websites. And with something like AiM, it is very dependent on the hardware it receives the data from, and how it renders and communicates that data. Just think about all the functionality of RS Analysis...how would you render that on iOS? What would you be willing to leave out? How about what RS3 does? Configuring every single product? Could that be done in an app? Where do you draw the line on what stays and what goes?
Both the OEM Porsche Track App and Circuit Tools are good starting points for what I envision the scope of an initial product to me. It doesn't have to be perfect, but some functionality is better than none and can be refined as users give feedback.

AiM hardware is infinitely more complicated and capable than something like and Apex Pro. And most likely was never built to render infomation in a form that an App can process. My guess is that its not just the app...its a complete rewrite of how the hardware would communicate with the app in a way to make the user experience useful without dumbing it all down to become useless.
AIM re-designed their hardware for the Solo 2 DL and launched their marketing campaign before it was released to include an iPhone app. There is literally no excuse for their hardware to not be capable with an app. A bone standard elm 327 module can relay OBD data to an iphone app for REAL TIME consumption. If their hardware can't do simple data transfer (not even real time) after the fact, AIM has some problems with their hardware/software group thats going to be very difficult to resolve in the future.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No one size fits all. VBOX, MoTeC, AiM, Apex Pro all have pros and cons, but I'd rather offer a choice than be tied to one...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-04-2019, 07:04 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No one size fits all. VBOX, MoTeC, AiM, Apex Pro all have pros and cons, but I'd rather offer a choice than be tied to one...
Fully agree with this. And that’s kinda why I am frustrated. I thought the Solo 2 DL fit my needs based on their documentation, when in fact it does not and there’s no timeline or information on when it will. I’m not blaming any other lack of functionality in the AIM because I knew what I was getting into. And it’s disappointing to buy into a $1800 eco system (smarty cam purchased as well) when one of the main functionalities of why I purchased it has been forgotten. Choices become pointless when a manufacturer doesn’t do what they say they will and provide no communication or rationale as to why.

And it doesn’t help that they have not removed the wording “few weeks” from the manual. If they wanted to be truthful and honest, they would have done that (combined with many other things).

Last edited by gtreddy; 06-04-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Fully agree with this. And that’s kinda why I am frustrated. I thought the Solo 2 DL fit my needs based on their documentation, when in fact it does not and there’s no timeline or information on when it will. I’m not blaming any other lack of functionality in the AIM because I knew what I was getting into. And it’s disappointing to buy into a $1800 eco system (smarty cam purchased as well) when one of the main functionalities of why I purchased it has been forgotten. Choices become pointless when a manufacturer doesn’t do what they say they will and provide no communication or rationale as to why.

And it doesn’t help that they have not removed the wording “few weeks” from the manual. If they wanted to be truthful and honest, they would have done that (combined with many other things).
Not to get off topic, but I'd say this is where the advice and consultation with a good dealer is important. I'm not excusing the poor marketing, but a quality, knowledgeable dealer could help you navigate the systems and if they will meet your needs. I fall under the category of a single company dealer because I've made the conscientious decision to excel at AiM, not attempt to work at a lower quality through a number of systems. When AiM won't do what someone needs, I tell them. I'm not interested in selling a system to someone and have them either not be able to use it or not be happy. I also value the people I meet at the track, through FB, here on RL, and would never do anything to betray their trust or friendship (I've got lots of RL friends!).

Like I offered before, please feel free to call, email (matt@trailbrake.net), or PM me. I'll do whatever I can to help you out.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahaha! Matt, I think you’ve painted yourself into a “corner of excellence” in this thread.

Again, there is no system that does everything the ideal system for most would encompass.

Having been one of the top two or three dealers for AiM for almost a decade, the top dealer for Racelogic’s Motorsport line of products, the first dealer for the Apex Pro (because it embodies the main thesis and methodology of my most effective work coaching drivers), the second dealer for a RaceVoice (now available in a simple add on kit for Solo 2 DL’s for audible coaching prompts) and now getting into the exciting new world of Cosworth because of it’s widespread use integrated by Porsche, Aston Martin and others in their factory race cars, the broad range of application and utility of these systems is known to me.

The NUMBER one reason why people call me is to investigate what might be the best system for THEM, because they know I have no blind allegiance to one system over the other. Makes for more satisfied customers.

As Joe Hullett has so aptly said, “these aren’t just blister pack products you hand over the counter, they have to be supported.”

Most of the people I talk to just want the equipment they buy to work, and to offer the features and performance the equipment manufacturers promise. That’s it. The idea the a dealer is committed to “excellence” in one product line is pretty easy, I know plenty of people like that all over the country for specific systems. It’s the multi line dealers that really excel, however. Dave and Ellen Ferguson, Chris Brown, Colin Harmer and the list goes on and on.

Bottom line is that those of us who are among the highest performing dealers for AiM have been tested, over and over again. From vaporware presented at PRI only to be delivered 7, 15 or even 23 months later to firmware updates issued the Friday before a big race weekend that breaks things that worked well before, it is a challenge to ride along with the growing pains of even a good, well meaning company. And their stuff is a really good value. I believe in it and use it myself. Every day...

All of the manufacturers have challenges, as this is not simple stuff and the hardware/software linkages are easily disturbed. The OP has a valid complaint, for sure. It’s important that we all listen and seek answers, rather than boast blind faith and allegiance, particularly odious when attempting to diminish others at the same time.

It’s an exciting time with interoperability between systems meaning that people use multiple systems together well (MoTeC-Cosworth, Cosworth-VBOX and AiM-VBOX are the most common combos I look after and supply) to get the best out of each and supply all of what my clients are looking for the best possible way.

I hope the OP gets to a solution and I’m sure, between Matt, Bob and I, we can handle it.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:20 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I too agree the iPhone app was a decision maker for me to purchase the Solo2DL and is a must have. However, 14 months after my purchase, and it's still nowhere to be find is more than a little disappointed. I tried Circuit Tool app and was using HLT with external GPS+GoPro. I like both especially when pull the session data from HLT into CircuitTool app, it will show me the virtual best (by sector) within each session so I know how much I had left on the table given each session's condition. I was hoping I can do the same using Aim app with Solo2DL (and SmartyCam eventually), but that seems like just a dream in the near future (at least this season if you ask me!).

BTW, from you expect here, how do I see a "virtual best lap" (either within the session or within a day) in RS3 if it's available?

Quick Reply: AiM iPhone App?