AiM iPhone App?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 10:07 PM
sportytoes
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restrictions with useable files

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Sorry, but this is not a usable feature in AiM in my experience. The side by side video replay in Race Studio 3 is tough to use, does not always divide the video into laps and can’t be enlarged enough to be usable.

For your purposes, I would recommend a third party App called CompareMyLaps by Joris Mans. It will do what you want, with finer resolution and is much more usable.

I use other systems with software that already does all this not only automatically, but includes the graphs and split times so I can instantly identify areas of exceptional performance so I can SEE what I did to go faster and do it again. But that requires different hardware than the SmartyCam.

Right now, there is no capability in AiM hardware and software to do this with any reliability. I have recently seen good progress with the Race Studio 3 analysis beta that shows two videos side by side within the analysis window, but it still isn’t quite there and still a ways off from release. Promising, though.
i have also discovered some additional issues.
1. racestudio wants th video in .mov format. I have to stich together the short .mp4 files gopro produces. Then convert them. That whole bag seems to add tons of time to the process.i think. Thats a limit that anything that writes to fat32 storage i suspect. I don’t know if smartycam writes .mov or not.
2. when i did get it all to work, i still struggled. What i want to do seems logically simple but not within real capabilities of the system. I’m not giving up just yet, but not willing to throw that much money at a smartycam to confirm your wisedom is 100% Sound. Which I suspect isn’t off the mark. As you said it is buggy.
3. i use AIM solo2. Do your other recommendations work well with the data it produces? My biggest want is just a process to get to all resouces quicky rather that features galore.stiching videos together now just delays getting to the launchpad.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:20 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sportytoes
i have also discovered some additional issues.
1. racestudio wants th video in .mov format. I have to stich together the short .mp4 files gopro produces. Then convert them. That whole bag seems to add tons of time to the process.i think. Thats a limit that anything that writes to fat32 storage i suspect. I don’t know if smartycam writes .mov or not.
2. when i did get it all to work, i still struggled. What i want to do seems logically simple but not within real capabilities of the system. I’m not giving up just yet, but not willing to throw that much money at a smartycam to confirm your wisedom is 100% Sound. Which I suspect isn’t off the mark. As you said it is buggy.
3. i use AIM solo2. Do your other recommendations work well with the data it produces? My biggest want is just a process to get to all resouces quicky rather that features galore.stiching videos together now just delays getting to the launchpad.
Smartycam creates the video with data overlay automatically . Just pop the SD card and review between sessions. One of the best investments I ever made. Really enables track side coaching.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,917 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Sportytoes is using a GoPro. No help for that for anything like RS3 or CMLaps, I didn’t realize sportytoes wasn’t using the SmartyCam.

Exporting data from the Solo/Solo DL/S2/S2DL and the video from GoPro and combining them in RaceRender is the best. Still time consuming and limited, but better than nothing.

I really don’t recommend self-rendered video anymore. Don’t have time. AiM SmartyCam, VBOX Video, RaceKeeper, MoTeC V2, are the only video solutions I can recommend.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-19-2020, 04:10 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Loving the Vbox HD2 so far, and haven’t even been on track yet. Instant data and video.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 06:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
Loving the Vbox HD2 so far, and haven’t even been on track yet. Instant data and video.
Now, that’s cool, opening in VBOX Tools, a more powerful and configurable analysis software for the VBOX files. I usually use that when I have lots more information, like wheel speeds, evaluating driver’s best use of ABS in factory built race cars.

Tim, make the x axis distance rather than time and up your sample rates on the AiM logger to get better resolution on the information.

I prefer Circuit Tools 2, which is a much quicker way to do the same driver performance analysis, set up segment times and save them to the file, and look at side by side video to see what I did to do the purple sectors in the session, compared to the fast lap. By easily finding and focusing on the exceptional corners or corner complexes, you can do them again.

This is my preferred tool for working with coaching clients. It’s Porsche’s preferred system for most of the rest of the world SuperCup series and their record runs, and I’ve sold more than sixty alone (out of five times that) just to GT4 CS and GT3 Cup cars running IMSA, PCA and SRO.

Most people buy VBOX because they don’t need to be geeks or even facile with a computer to coach themselves really effectively. Also runs on Apple computers natively.

Racing, testing and DE coaching engagements are expensive, with every moment on and off the track precious to both the driver and me.

VBOX is simply the quickest, easiest way for almost everyone I’ve worked with in the last decade to get quicker, safer and with less risk.

Tim’s set up is the best of both worlds. AiM and AiM sensors collecting information from an older car, the VBOX plugging with one cable into the AiM and getting all the most important information. There are more and more folks doing this. Why, because it’s easier. And more effective.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:35 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Now, that’s cool, opening in VBOX Tools, a more powerful and configurable analysis software for the VBOX files. I usually use that when I have lots more information, like wheel speeds, evaluating driver’s best use of ABS in factory built race cars.

Tim, make the x axis distance rather than time and up your sample rates on the AiM logger to get better resolution on the information.

I prefer Circuit Tools 2, which is a much quicker way to do the same driver performance analysis, set up segment times and save them to the file, and look at side by side video to see what I did to do the purple sectors in the session, compared to the fast lap. By easily finding and focusing on the exceptional corners or corner complexes, you can do them again.

This is my preferred tool for working with coaching clients. It’s Porsche’s preferred system for most of the rest of the world SuperCup series and their record runs, and I’ve sold more than sixty alone (out of five times that) just to GT4 CS and GT3 Cup cars running IMSA, PCA and SRO.

Most people buy VBOX because they don’t need to be geeks or even facile with a computer to coach themselves really effectively. Also runs on Apple computers natively.

Racing, testing and DE coaching engagements are expensive, with every moment on and off the track precious to both the driver and me.

VBOX is simply the quickest, easiest way for almost everyone I’ve worked with in the last decade to get quicker, safer and with less risk.

Tim’s set up is the best of both worlds. AiM and AiM sensors collecting information from an older car, the VBOX plugging with one cable into the AiM and getting all the most important information. There are more and more folks doing this. Why, because it’s easier. And more effective.
thanks, Peter. This certainly helps me see where I’m losing time in my cul-de-sac.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (02-20-2020)
Old 06-02-2021, 01:19 PM
donesnowangel
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like there's a new third party app coming out soon that should work with Aim Solo 2 and GoPro. Don't know whether it will make onboard videos though.

www.lapsnap.app
Old 06-02-2021, 01:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by donesnowangel
Looks like there's a new third party app coming out soon that should work with Aim Solo 2 and GoPro. Don't know whether it will make onboard videos though.

www.lapsnap.app
Good!

Quick Reply: AiM iPhone App?