Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 794 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Make up your mind, Matt. On one post, you boast of a full-featured iOS app. On this one, you downplay the likelihood of even seeing simple speed versus distance graphs.
We'll see… I think we'll see the PDM before the iOS app. If the app comes out, I hope it'll be for quick, limited review, like on the screenshots from the Solo 2 release a few years ago.
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't believe you hopes will be satisfied from what I've seen and was told in Italy, but I could be wrong. As you know, the screen shots from years ago were not accurate.
Make up your mind, Matt. On one post, you boast of a full-featured iOS app. On this one, you downplay the likelihood of even seeing simple speed versus distance graphs.
Time will tell. Read into what I wrote how you want, but time will tell what we get. I don't have any reason to believe it will be a "quick, limited view" app, but that part wasn't written when I saw it. I did see the other features of it. I'm not an iOS guy, so I don't have the development copies for it, but I know folks who do.

Edit: High Road.

Last edited by Matt Romanowski; 10-21-2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: High Road.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,918 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Edit: High Road.
Hahaha! You and I know "all the best people," don't we.

Yes, time will tell. It will be what it will be.

Meanwhile, I had trouble loading configs today in 3.30.00 and 3.30.01... smdh...

I'd be a lot happier if the stuff that is CURRENTLY out there worked well and the software/firmware updates didn't continually break things.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-21-2019, 10:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Meanwhile, I had trouble loading configs today in 3.30.00 and 3.30.01... smdh...

I'd be a lot happier if the stuff that is CURRENTLY out there worked well and the software/firmware updates didn't continually break things.
There were problems with 3:30.00 that I reported and were fixed for me in .01.

I did notice some problem with predictive timing on 1.2 devices this weekend as reported in the FB group. I have to send some data in along with a config. I haven't had problems with loading configs.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Umm, they were fixed for ALL users, thank you. And there were several reports from several users, dealers and importers.

It would be nice for once not to chase our tails, which has happened all too often with the new gen hardware.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Umm, they were fixed for ALL users, thank you. And there were several reports from several users, dealers and importers.

It would be nice for once not to chase our tails, which has happened all too often with the new gen hardware.
I didn't mean they fixed it only because I had a problem, I meant the fix solved my problems. While the world does revolve around me...

Is there a reason you feel the need to take you're frustrations out on me?
Old 10-21-2019, 10:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have no frustrations! I just spent several wonderful days at VIR with cool cars and great drivers... And I get birthday cake on Wednesday.

It's all good.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have no frustrations! I just spent several wonderful days at VIR with cool cars and great drivers... And I get birthday cake on Wednesday.

It's all good.
Guess I misjudged the constant attacks. Glad you had a great days at VIR and get to celebrate a birthday. For my birthday we figured out the Sheng Xiao. Found out I am The Goat. Go figure.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:21 PM
bml376
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was hopeful that something about the AiM iOS app for Solo2/Solo2 DL might get announced at PRI this year. A quick check on the AiM website seems to no longer mention the iOS app, https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/pro...o2dl/index.htm . Does anyone know if this is still planned? I'd love to carry something less bulky than a laptop to the track, maybe time to get a Surface tablet than wait for the iOS app.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bml376
I was hopeful that something about the AiM iOS app for Solo2/Solo2 DL might get announced at PRI this year. A quick check on the AiM website seems to no longer mention the iOS app, https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/pro...o2dl/index.htm . Does anyone know if this is still planned? I'd love to carry something less bulky than a laptop to the track, maybe time to get a Surface tablet than wait for the iOS app.
Still planned, AFAIK.

Would recommend a Surface while we wait. I use an Eve V. Very pleased with it.
The following users liked this post:
bml376 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bml376
Planned but far behind ☹. Buy a Surface as.it.may be a long wait.
bml376 (12-14-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 12:35 AM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Not to get off topic, but I'd say this is where the advice and consultation with a good dealer is important. I'm not excusing the poor marketing, but a quality, knowledgeable dealer could help you navigate the systems and if they will meet your needs. I fall under the category of a single company dealer because I've made the conscientious decision to excel at AiM, not attempt to work at a lower quality through a number of systems. When AiM won't do what someone needs, I tell them. I'm not interested in selling a system to someone and have them either not be able to use it or not be happy. I also value the people I meet at the track, through FB, here on RL, and would never do anything to betray their trust or friendship (I've got lots of RL friends!).
For anyone following this, AiM recently said the app will be out in December. I won't promise that date, but it is what they have said publicly.
Planned but far behind ☹. Buy a Surface as.it.may be a long wait.
​​​​
The chronology of these statements (shown in order of the time you posted them) “fuel the fire”. If you’re wrong, you are perpetuating the problem as a dealer.

When you say “I won’t promise[...], but...” etc. etc. and then spew AIM’s catch lines, it makes me trust you less and less and less. Don’t regurgitate empty promises if you don’t believe them. If you believe them and are constantly wrong, that makes you a bad dealer for the consumer. Isn’t the point of having a good dealer to sift through falsities on the consumer behalf?

It’s only half way through December, but understanding that the holiday is coming up, it’s not promising, and will only irritate more people if they don’t deliver. I know it’s an assumption, but the correlation of facts would suggest this. And I TRULY hope I’m wrong, because I want the damn app.

As a side note, do you have the public statement you said they made so we can see it?

Last edited by gtreddy; 12-15-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gtreddy
​​​​
The chronology of these statements (shown in order of the time you posted them) “fuel the fire”. If you’re wrong, you are perpetuating the problem as a dealer.

When you say “I won’t promise[...], but...” etc. etc. and then spew AIM’s catch lines, it makes me trust you less and less and less. Don’t regurgitate empty promises if you don’t believe them. If you believe them and are constantly wrong, that makes you a bad dealer for the consumer. Isn’t the point of having a good dealer to sift through falsities on the consumer behalf?

It’s only half way through December, but understanding that the holiday is coming up, it’s not promising, and will only irritate more people if they don’t deliver. I know it’s an assumption, but the correlation of facts would suggest this. And I TRULY hope I’m wrong, because I want the damn app.

As a side note, do you have the public statement you said they made so we can see it?
I completely understand and apologize, though I know apologizing doesn't solve anyone's problems. At the risk over over disclosure, here is the full story. A year ago (or two - whatever) there was an app that made it to beta and wasn't considered to be too good. I never saw/used that one but guys in the US had. It wasn't ready to be released and then the iOS programmer that was doing it left. In July when I was at the factory, in Milan I used the app, developed by a new programmer, and saw the iOS version of RS3 with the programmers. It did a number of things, but still seemed to need a decent amount of work, but the caveat being I'm not an app developer or software guy (it all seems magic to me!). 8 weeks ago AiM Sportline (Italy) posted on their FB page that the app was going to be released in December. I expected I would see it this weekend. July to December is a long time and they could have certainly done what they needed to finish in that time. Turns out somewhere in there the developer left, things went off track, and no app to show. . In the end I was wrong. Last year AiM took the stance that they will not release a date for something until it's a solid date - that is why I trusted this one. Notice their is no date announced on RS3A, SCHD Gen 3 (or whatever it will be called) and other products in the timeline? When I saw this date, I thought it was good (and did lots of others in the AiM network).

So, I gave the best info on not just what I told, but what I saw, used, and touched. Turns out that info, while at the time was correct, didn't end up being the right info in the end. I get that people are mad about this and that people want an app that was promised and shown. If you want to be mad at someone - fire away. I said what I said and will take the heat for it.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:22 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 568 Likes on 298 Posts

In Matt’s defense here, there may be no dealer more connected into AiM than him, so if Italy tells him something and says it’s ok to repeat it, I can’t see why he should take the blame for that. All he stated in those quoted comments is what AiM publicly posted, pointing out specifically about him not promising a date.

To be sure, AiM is frustrating. They should not announce any new products until at least they are in the final testing stages. And CERTAINLY not market it as “coming soon”!! But that’s not the Italian way....hype means everything. That said, as with any manufacturing or development company, unforeseen setbacks (like developers leaving)can cause major delays and disruption in the plan. I’m not excusing them, but I’ve worked for enough technology companies to not even be phased by it anymore. Heck, a simple update to the Bank of America Mobile app takes 6 months to release.

Because of this background, when any company says they’re delivering a new product, my stance to my customer base is “XYZ is working on this new gadget, looks cool, and they say this is a targeted release date, but I’ll believe it when it’s actually in my hands”... case in point: I was told months ago that Roux would have 8860-2018 helmets available to ship in Dec....now I’m being told July...I’ll believe it when I have one.

Again, not excusing AiM in any way, but I think venting frustration on a dealer who is just sharing what the company releases - while also saying he makes no promises to the validity of it - is a bit harsh.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

ProCoach (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 10:37 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

gtready, ease up, will you? You sound more like a prosecuting attorney rather than someone truly interested in moving forward.

Even though we are two of the most visible and long-standing auto line dealers for AiM, Matt and I frequently spar, often because of the difference between my lengthy, pragmatic experience with a broad range of product and feature releases from Italy, England, Australia and the US and his unabashed enthusiasm and loyalty to the exclusive line of products to which he’s hitched his wagon.

We’re each coming at it from different points of view, but the fact that the map bitmap never appeared in the MXL2 display, RS3 Analysis has not been released or the iOS app hasn’t been forthcoming (after several personnel challenges on the developer side) is no reason to trash AiM or impugn Matt’s best efforts to try and stir enthusiasm based on his wishes and desire.

Bottom line is that you rapidly learn in this business that best hopes and product/feature release date forecasts simply cannot be relied upon. It’s important not to count on anything until you can see it, touch it, feel it and work it.

This is not an AIM only issue, this is across a broad spectrum of tech. MoTeC, VBOX, R-T, pretty much standard practice.

The trade show mania stokes this, with each manufacturer trying to give a glimpse of the future, often without near-term capability of supplying the actual product.

I appreciate what Matt’s trying to do, even if I don’t agree with the way he does it, but I think you (gtreddy) seem awfully quick to condemn.

We’ll get it when we get it. To make decisions on product purchases based on promises by a dealer, and even manufacturer packaging and sales boasts, is just not a good idea.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:37 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

gtready, ease up, will you? You sound more like a prosecuting attorney rather than someone truly interested in moving forward.

Even though we are two of the most visible and long-standing auto line dealers for AiM, Matt and I frequently spar, often because of the difference between my lengthy, pragmatic experience with a broad range of product and feature releases from Italy, England, Australia and the US and his unabashed enthusiasm and loyalty to the exclusive line of products to which he’s hitched his wagon.

We’re each coming at it from different points of view, but the fact that the map bitmap never appeared in the MXL2 display, RS3 Analysis has not been released or the iOS app hasn’t been forthcoming (after several personnel challenges on the developer side) is no reason to trash AiM or impugn Matt’s best efforts to try and stir enthusiasm based on his wishes and desire.

Bottom line is that you rapidly learn in this business that best hopes and product/feature release date forecasts simply cannot be relied upon. It’s important not to count on anything until you can see it, touch it, feel it and work it.

This is not an AIM only issue, this is across a broad spectrum of tech. MoTeC, VBOX, R-T, pretty much standard practice.

The trade show mania stokes this, with each manufacturer trying to give a glimpse of the future, often without near-term capability of supplying the actual product.

I appreciate what Matt’s trying to do, even if I don’t agree with the way he does it, but I think you (gtreddy) seem awfully quick to condemn.

We’ll get it when we get it. To make decisions on product purchases based on promises by a dealer, and even manufacturer packaging and sales boasts, is just not a good idea.
I appreciate the sentiment, don't appreciate the dig, but don't agree with your comments. I have imported items from around the world - Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, Turkey, India, South Korea, and China to name a few countries. We have been in the data game the same amount of time, just in different ways. This isn't a discussion to boast your supremacy across data, but to acknowledge an angry customer.

gtreddy - you deserve to be mad. You were sold something, expected it to come, were told it was coming, and didn't get it. I'd be pissed too. I can't help you with an app, but if you want to vent, sell your AiM stuff, or just chat AiM, data, Porsches, Racing, or anything else, call me. My cell is 603-674-3250. I'm about to get on the plane for my last leg home, so give me until about 12:30. I'll listen and do whatever I can.

Quick Reply: AiM iPhone App?