A Note on Tire Dressing/ Tire Shine

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:12 PM
DetailDan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Note on Tire Dressing/ Tire Shine

YES that is old tire dressing sludge!!!

Everyone loves the look of freshly dressed tires, it really completes the look of the entire detail. However, not all tire dressings are created equal. Most people who use tire dressings are aware of the dreaded sling some of them produce, but the issues don’t stop there. This sling off can actually stain paint and plastic parts if left long enough. More importantly, tire manufacturers add antioxidants and antiozonants to the sidewall and tread to help prevent premature aging from ozone and weather exposure. Certain cleaners and tire shines can remove these important components of the tire which can lead to cracking and sidewall failure.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I've never seen anything like that before, even on the used car lots!

But I agree, too much or the wrong dressing can create a mess and damage the tires.

I've recently started using 303 Aerospace and have been very happy with the appearance and longevity.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:52 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

303 does a great job. It's my personal preference.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM
DetailDan
Track Day

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I've never seen anything like that before, even on the used car lots!
Really? I'm surprised. I see it all the time with my customers cars and at the dealership. Thats why I made the post in the first place.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DetailDan

Everyone loves the look of freshly dressed tires, it really completes the look of the entire detail. However, not all tire dressings are created equal. Most people who use tire dressings are aware of the dreaded sling some of them produce, but the issues don’t stop there. This sling off can actually stain paint and plastic parts if left long enough. More importantly, tire manufacturers add antioxidants and antiozonants to the sidewall and tread to help prevent premature aging from ozone and weather exposure. Certain cleaners and tire shines can remove these important components of the tire which can lead to cracking and sidewall failure.
Good information.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DetailDan

What do you recommend? I've been using Adams Super VRT with good results.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
What do you recommend? I've been using Adams Super VRT with good results.

Thanks
I've used Chemical Guys Satin Shine. Nice clean look with no sludgy residue and won't harm the tires.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:45 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tyre Cleaning

The slightly porous nature of rubber (however this varies according to the polymers used) attracts oils, dirt, brake dust and road grime. For any type of protection to work efficiently on rubber it must be able to adhere to the surface. First remove any brake dust, blooming, road tar, grease and grime, silicone and oxidized rubber from the surface to properly clean it.

The key to tyre dressing durability is deep cleaning the tyre, spray or apply your cleaner allow to soak in for a minute or two and then scrub with a fairly stiff tyre brush, once clean you should be able to take an old white dry terry towel and rub the tyre surface, it should be almost pristine (if not repeat). Tyre cleaner needs to be strong enough to tackle a heavy build-up of tyre dressings, silicone and road grime, but not damage wheel coatings.

A quality citrus-based cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash) should clean the tyres down to the original rubber surface, this is especially important when you apply a new dressing, as dressings won't adhere to, or create the right shine on dirty rubber or silicone residue. This tyre cleaner is a strong concentrate; spray-and-rinse, without scrubbing, if you are starting on an old, neglected surface, use a fairly stiff tyre brush for the first application and a spray & rinse at least 3-4 times a year

Alternative products – Optimum™ Polymer Technologies - Power Clean (diluted 3:1: to 5:1)

Griot’s Rubber Cleaner and Rubber Prep - two excellent products for cleaning rubber; Rubber Cleaner is for regular cleanings; like a car wash for your tires, it will also remove the white mould release from new tyres.

Then, for more serious cleaning, there’s Rubber Prep, is an intense cleaner for heavily soiled rubber tires, trim, mouldings, seals, and hoses. This gel rubber cleaner removes old dressings and road grime to prepare the surface for a coat of rubber dressing by getting down to the bare rubber

Protection Water- based vs. Solvent-based

Petroleum distillates (oils) will remove or break down the protective polymers and waxes in tires The difference between water and solvent based is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (silicone oil) behind; this type of silicone leaves a high gloss shine and will repel water longer but it is non-biodegradable. Most high gloss products are based upon (DMS) solvents.

Water-based dressings (usually a milky-white liquid) use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish

“Tyre Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html
Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

I have been using Optimum Opti Bond Tire Gel Rubber Tire Dressing which is Water Based. Leaves a very nice low lustre. A little goes along way. I am on the same bottle for 3 yrs and use on several cars.

Tires in my avatar were done with Optimum
Old 09-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Griots Rubber Cleaner is excellent and leaves the tires looking clean and new. The tires smell like new tires when you're done. It's a must if you buy a car with the dealer applied tire grease. It creates the perfect foundation for their Vinyl Rubber Conditioner or a product like 303.

By the way, I used to use Griots Vinyl/Rubber but I prefer the deeper and less glossy finish of 303.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the really shiney tire wet black magic stuff is a no no? Any local autoparts "over the counter" recommendations?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
So the really shiney tire wet black magic stuff is a no no? Any local autoparts "over the counter" recommendations?
Yep, don't use those.

I've been using Meguiar's Hyper Dressing diluted 3:1 and its just about perfect. Not as matte as 303, but a great level of shine. Its water based and has good longevity.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 PM
CT03911
Banned

Simple, affordable, safe.
I dress everything on the car except the leather and paint, obviously.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
+1...303 is by far my favorite tire conditioner. If you want a slight more sheen, just re-apply after 10 minutes.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
Yup.

Quick Reply: A Note on Tire Dressing/ Tire Shine