Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Concours & Car Care (https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/)
-   -   A Note on Tire Dressing/ Tire Shine (https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/718793-a-note-on-tire-dressing-tire-shine.html)

DetailDan 09-26-2012 05:12 PM

A Note on Tire Dressing/ Tire Shine

http://www.dndautodetailing.com/Tire%20Dressing_02.JPG

YES that is old tire dressing sludge!!!

Everyone loves the look of freshly dressed tires, it really completes the look of the entire detail. However, not all tire dressings are created equal. Most people who use tire dressings are aware of the dreaded sling some of them produce, but the issues don’t stop there. This sling off can actually stain paint and plastic parts if left long enough. More importantly, tire manufacturers add antioxidants and antiozonants to the sidewall and tread to help prevent premature aging from ozone and weather exposure. Certain cleaners and tire shines can remove these important components of the tire which can lead to cracking and sidewall failure.

Marine Blue 09-27-2012 07:39 AM

I've never seen anything like that before, even on the used car lots!

But I agree, too much or the wrong dressing can create a mess and damage the tires.

I've recently started using 303 Aerospace and have been very happy with the appearance and longevity.

MoeMistry 09-27-2012 06:52 PM

303 does a great job. It's my personal preference.

DetailDan 09-27-2012 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 9872623)
I've never seen anything like that before, even on the used car lots!

Really? I'm surprised. I see it all the time with my customers cars and at the dealership. Thats why I made the post in the first place.

TOGWT 09-28-2012 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by DetailDan (Post 9871511)

Everyone loves the look of freshly dressed tires, it really completes the look of the entire detail. However, not all tire dressings are created equal. Most people who use tire dressings are aware of the dreaded sling some of them produce, but the issues don’t stop there. This sling off can actually stain paint and plastic parts if left long enough. More importantly, tire manufacturers add antioxidants and antiozonants to the sidewall and tread to help prevent premature aging from ozone and weather exposure. Certain cleaners and tire shines can remove these important components of the tire which can lead to cracking and sidewall failure.

Good information.

Bob in NY 09-28-2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DetailDan (Post 9871511)

What do you recommend? I've been using Adams Super VRT with good results.

Thanks

shizzle 09-28-2012 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bob in NY (Post 9875558)
What do you recommend? I've been using Adams Super VRT with good results.

Thanks

I've used Chemical Guys Satin Shine. Nice clean look with no sludgy residue and won't harm the tires.

TOGWT 09-29-2012 07:45 AM

Tyre Cleaning

The slightly porous nature of rubber (however this varies according to the polymers used) attracts oils, dirt, brake dust and road grime. For any type of protection to work efficiently on rubber it must be able to adhere to the surface. First remove any brake dust, blooming, road tar, grease and grime, silicone and oxidized rubber from the surface to properly clean it.

The key to tyre dressing durability is deep cleaning the tyre, spray or apply your cleaner allow to soak in for a minute or two and then scrub with a fairly stiff tyre brush, once clean you should be able to take an old white dry terry towel and rub the tyre surface, it should be almost pristine (if not repeat). Tyre cleaner needs to be strong enough to tackle a heavy build-up of tyre dressings, silicone and road grime, but not damage wheel coatings.

A quality citrus-based cleaner (P21S® Total Auto Wash) should clean the tyres down to the original rubber surface, this is especially important when you apply a new dressing, as dressings won't adhere to, or create the right shine on dirty rubber or silicone residue. This tyre cleaner is a strong concentrate; spray-and-rinse, without scrubbing, if you are starting on an old, neglected surface, use a fairly stiff tyre brush for the first application and a spray & rinse at least 3-4 times a year

Alternative products – Optimum™ Polymer Technologies - Power Clean (diluted 3:1: to 5:1)

Griot’s Rubber Cleaner and Rubber Prep - two excellent products for cleaning rubber; Rubber Cleaner is for regular cleanings; like a car wash for your tires, it will also remove the white mould release from new tyres.

Then, for more serious cleaning, there’s Rubber Prep, is an intense cleaner for heavily soiled rubber tires, trim, mouldings, seals, and hoses. This gel rubber cleaner removes old dressings and road grime to prepare the surface for a coat of rubber dressing by getting down to the bare rubber

Protection Water- based vs. Solvent-based

Petroleum distillates (oils) will remove or break down the protective polymers and waxes in tires The difference between water and solvent based is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (silicone oil) behind; this type of silicone leaves a high gloss shine and will repel water longer but it is non-biodegradable. Most high gloss products are based upon (DMS) solvents.

Water-based dressings (usually a milky-white liquid) use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish

“Tyre Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html

95_993 09-29-2012 10:26 AM

I have been using Optimum Opti Bond Tire Gel Rubber Tire Dressing which is Water Based. Leaves a very nice low lustre. A little goes along way. I am on the same bottle for 3 yrs and use on several cars.

Tires in my avatar were done with Optimum

Marine Blue 09-29-2012 02:04 PM

Griots Rubber Cleaner is excellent and leaves the tires looking clean and new. The tires smell like new tires when you're done. It's a must if you buy a car with the dealer applied tire grease. It creates the perfect foundation for their Vinyl Rubber Conditioner or a product like 303.

By the way, I used to use Griots Vinyl/Rubber but I prefer the deeper and less glossy finish of 303.

hkspwrsche 01-22-2013 01:15 PM

So the really shiney tire wet black magic stuff is a no no? Any local autoparts "over the counter" recommendations?

RogueM3 01-22-2013 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche (Post 10163254)
So the really shiney tire wet black magic stuff is a no no? Any local autoparts "over the counter" recommendations?

Yep, don't use those.

I've been using Meguiar's Hyper Dressing diluted 3:1 and its just about perfect. Not as matte as 303, but a great level of shine. Its water based and has good longevity.

CT03911 01-26-2013 01:00 PM

Simple, affordable, safe.
I dress everything on the car except the leather and paint, obviously.

MoeMistry 01-26-2013 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by CT03911 (Post 10174205)

+1...303 is by far my favorite tire conditioner. If you want a slight more sheen, just re-apply after 10 minutes.

LexVan 01-26-2013 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by CT03911 (Post 10174205)

Yup.