Notices

Need help with leather door panels

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 PM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with leather door panels

I have a 2002 C2 with black full leather and supple leather. I have had reasonable luck with cleaning and conditioning the leather seats with Lexol products, but my leather dash, and particularly my leather door panels, just aren't responding to the Lexol.

The door panels look dry with what looks like a white residue. I don't think there actually is a residue, just dry leather, but that's what it looks like. I'm also not thrilled with what the Lexol has done with the supple leather parts of the seats (the pillowy sections). Interestingly, the seat side bolsters are nice and black and soft.

Any recommendations/advice? I have done a few searches and have seen some reference to Leatherique and Leathermaster. Are there any more commonly available products that are any good? I've also seen some cautions / concerns about using Leatherique, so I'm a bit confused and would appreciate some help.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Jmakado
Intermediate

Leathermasters is my favorite leather dressing. The Meguiar's Aloe leather products also work great and can be found at Wal-Mart. Apply to your leather using a foam applicator, allow to sit for 30-45 minutes and then follow with a micorfiber that is damp with water, not wet, just damp. This will give a nice natural look to the leather regardless of product.

Also, leather doesn't tend to turn white when it dries. It just starts to crack. It may be a good idea to use a leather cleaner before you apply any more product to it. Perhaps it is the excess product that is giving the white look. The Aloe system I mentioned above is a two part. One cleaner and one for protection. But again, ordering Leathermasters is pretty easy and worth it IMO.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

+1000 on the Leathermasters.

Lexol never impressed me, it has minimal cleaning ability and the conditioner leaves residue and smells funky.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Jmakado
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
conditioner leaves residue
My thoughts exactly....
Old 06-07-2009, 03:45 PM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jmakado
Leathermasters is my favorite leather dressing. The Meguiar's Aloe leather products also work great and can be found at Wal-Mart. Apply to your leather using a foam applicator, allow to sit for 30-45 minutes and then follow with a micorfiber that is damp with water, not wet, just damp. This will give a nice natural look to the leather regardless of product.

Also, leather doesn't tend to turn white when it dries. It just starts to crack. It may be a good idea to use a leather cleaner before you apply any more product to it. Perhaps it is the excess product that is giving the white look. The Aloe system I mentioned above is a two part. One cleaner and one for protection. But again, ordering Leathermasters is pretty easy and worth it IMO.
I wondered about the residue. Sounds like I need to clean it up and switch to another leather care product.

So, if I go with the Leathermasters, which product(s) and where do you recommend getting them from? I've done a quick web search and there seem like a lot of choices. I'm also not sure I've found the right things.
* Leather protection cream?
* Soft cleaner?
* Leather conditioner?
* Foam cleaner?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

(Leather Master) Leather Cleaning Products

1.Leather Soft Cleaner – (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) Leather Soft Cleaner is a mild, water-based cleaner that will not affect the Leather’s original properties or finish. It is designed to remove most soiling as well as water-based stains. Leather Soft Cleaner is solvent free and works without removing the finish or harming the Leather.

Or get the Strong cleaner and dilute it

2.Strong Effect Cleaner - (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) Leather Master's "Strong Cleaner" is arguably the most powerful leather cleaner on the market. The water based formula removes ground in soil and water based stains. It can even remove blue jean transfer with a few light, repeated applications.

Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc. (for regular cleaning use Soft Cleaner) Dye transfer (from jeans, leather belts, etc)can be very difficult to remove; the longer it is on the leather the harder it will be to remove.

This product is used exactly the same as the "Leather Soft Cleaner", but its action is more intensive due to a greater concentration (twice the amount) of active ingredients. Remember to apply Strong Cleaner with a sponge to create cleaning foam. Wipe away excess residue with a soft cloth. This product does not remove the finish or coating from any OEM leathers or those prepared with proper rub resistance standards.

3.Leather Vital (Reconditioning) (A-Aniline/Non-Coated) (P-Protected/Coated)
Revitalizes Old Leather- Softens Stiff Leather -Eliminates Leather Squeaking. This product will truly revitalize older leather and soften stiff leather. Leather Vital penetrates the leather to soften and nourish. It is a formula unlike any we've encountered. It isn't thick or full of oils like conditioners. It reaches deep into the hide, which is essential for suppleness recovery, it is also used to soften the area during repairs and to dilute pigments. Leather Vital is excellent for eliminating the "squeaking" noise caused by two sections rubbing together. This noise is especially common with leather furniture.

4.Foam Cleaner- Leather Master Rapid S Cleaner (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) is a concentrated cleaner specifically designed for automotive leather that have accumulated dirt, soil, and dye transfer and body oils. .Dispense foam onto the car seats, work foam into the surface with a dampened sponge, allowing it to sit for one minute and wipe the foam away with a clean micro fibre towel, and then protect with Protection Cream once dry do not allow a leather protection product to dry as it can leave spotting

For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become engrained with creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt (Swissvax Leather Brush)

5. Leather Protection (Leather Master Leather Protection (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) is essential as it will protect the surface finish and makes dirt easier to clean off and to provide protection against oil and water stains, as well as providing resistance to the effects of daily soiling. The latest technology leather upholstery does not make the interior "maintenance free," as some car dealerships imply.

Protection is an essential element in leather care, inhibiting abrasive dirt / grit, brought in from the outside via the A/C system and stains from being absorbed. Its primary purpose is to act as a barrier between the leather surface and any soils that may settle on it, making maintenance cleaning easier.

This product provides a water-based protection for all leather types (covered or natural, except Nubuck). It places an invisible, breathable barrier between you and your leather. Protect your leather first, and then follow a routine of cleaning and re-protection, this way you are not actually cleaning the original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection

Top of The Line http://www.topoftheline.com/

An extract from “Automotive Upholstery Care “ one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved. See article in Detailing Bliss forum, Detailing School section

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-25-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Jmakado
Intermediate

http://www.topoftheline.com/aulekit.html

This has both. The soft cleaner should be plenty assuming the leather is not really dirty.
i.e. You are just trying to remove the residue left by the previous product.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I have used strong cleaner and vital conditioner and I am very pleased with the results.

I haven't tried the protection yet, curious to know if it changes appearance and if it really works.

Detailers Domain offers the leathermasters and has great deals on a regular basis.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Jmakado
Intermediate

Yeah, I should have suggested buying from Detailers Domain since they are a site sponsor. Gotta support the sponsors right!
Old 06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Thanks for all the great info, guys! I'm definitely switching to leathermaster! I'll let you know if the white stuff comes out and my supple leather returns to "suppleness"
Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmakado
Yeah, I should have suggested buying from Detailers Domain since they are a site sponsor. Gotta support the sponsors right!
Oops! I agree
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys here is the link to Leather Masters on our site.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 06-08-2009, 03:36 PM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain
Hey guys here is the link to Leather Masters on our site.
I ordered a bottle of strong cleaner and Leather Vital today from detailers domain. Looking forward to trying it out...
Old 06-08-2009, 04:43 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the order, its always great to have members support us.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 AM
"Jack"
1st Gear

I used the leather master's kit after reading about it in this forum with fantastic results. I did the job using only the stuff that came with the kit and couldn't be happier with the look and feel of my interior.

I was concerned that the 250ml wouldn't be enough. I only ended up using about 20% on all my seats and trim (981 Leather Interior Trim and 983 Leather Seats-Front and Rear on a 1987 944).

Additionally, Detailers Domain has a new fan.

Quick Reply: Need help with leather door panels