Notices

Layering Wax - Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008 | 07:39 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Default Layering Wax - Timing?

I just purchased an 89 Carrera Coupe and, since I live in the Northeast, I don't have much time before it has to be stored.

I'd like to get a couple coats of wax on the car prior to storage (plus for aesthetics) but my question is this:

Ordinarily, I would add layer by layer as I washed the car over a few weeks. Since I will likely only have one opportunity to do a full detail does applying two coats of wax in the same session buy me anything or does the first coating not have the opportunity to properly crystalize before adding the second coat?

Hoping one of our experts weigh in here since the festivities begin tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2008 | 09:48 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
I just purchased an 89 Carrera Coupe and, since I live in the Northeast, I don't have much time before it has to be stored.

I'd like to get a couple coats of wax on the car prior to storage (plus for aesthetics) but my question is this:

Ordinarily, I would add layer by layer as I washed the car over a few weeks. Since I will likely only have one opportunity to do a full detail does applying two coats of wax in the same session buy me anything or does the first coating not have the opportunity to properly crystalize before adding the second coat?

Hoping one of our experts weigh in here since the festivities begin tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
You can't layer waxes. The second layer is just replacing the first. There is no bonding happening with waxes, only polymers.

So your best bet is to lay down a polymer for durability and then add a layer of wax after the polymer has properly bonded.

Anthony
Old 11-08-2008 | 10:40 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Actually, you can layer pure waxes. It's the cleaner waxes and all in ones that can't be layered because of what you noted - the second layer displaces the first.

Trust me; I had a black BMW 540 that I had a few layers of Pinnacle built up on and it was candy for the eyes after I got two layers down.

I did some googling and it appears that at least several hours are needed for carnauba so I'll try to get a coat on before I hit the sack tomorrow night, then hit it again Monday morning.
Old 11-09-2008 | 12:59 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
Actually, you can layer pure waxes. It's the cleaner waxes and all in ones that can't be layered because of what you noted - the second layer displaces the first.

Trust me; I had a black BMW 540 that I had a few layers of Pinnacle built up on and it was candy for the eyes after I got two layers down.

I did some googling and it appears that at least several hours are needed for carnauba so I'll try to get a coat on before I hit the sack tomorrow night, then hit it again Monday morning.
Sorry, but there is no such thing as a "pure wax". They all contain solvents in them and a form of talcum powder which can, like fine corn starch, be somewhat of an abrasive.

If there was such a thing as pure wax then you would have a brick of wax, not a soft butter like wax. It's the solvents that make it soft.

If a wax claims "100% pure carnauba" it does not mean that it is 100% carnauba but rather the amount of wax it contains, which might only be 20 or 30%, is pure carnauba and not parafin and/or beeswax.

Now you can layer all you like, as many times as you like,But there's really no benefit to it and this information comes from various chemists and manufacturers of waxes. Even with polymers there isn't much benefit after 3 layers. Most pros I know might put on 2 layers of wax but this is more for full coverage more so than thinking it can be layered and increase gloss and such.

Anthony
Old 11-09-2008 | 06:19 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

I've been layering Carnauba wax for many years (forty years ago on my RAF boots) and ever since on Concours d’élégance vehicle entrants

There is a lot of discussion about whether or not it is possible to layer Carnauba on a paint surface, it works on leather boots (see 'spit shining') and in my experience it also works, up to a point, on a cars paint service. “When you apply fixed and variable inputs beyond a point or limit, the out come will be less and less utility with each additional unit”; which basically signifies that beyond a certain number of layers you are no longer providing more shine nor increasing durability.

Spit shining is used for ‘layering’ Carnauba wax to produce a ‘depth of shine’ providing you take the necessary precautions to prevent the solvents both re-liquefying and removing the previous wax layers. Usually a spit shined surface is slicker, smoother, and has different beading characteristics; with even smaller tighter water beads. The durability is about the same (or slightly better) and although spit shining is very time consuming, the improved depth of shine and glossy appearance is worth it

For more information see the “Carnauba (Brasil) Wax” article; one of a collection of detailing articles I’ve written for DetailingWiki; a series of informative, knowledge based, unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing
Old 11-12-2008 | 02:09 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

I've found that a couple layers of Opti-seal (a polymer) really make the car pop.....but I do it one day apart too...... I've tried 3 but it really doesn't make much improvement past 2...which honestly is only a little bit better than 1....but I'm a freak.....

Like anything else the key lies in the polishing...with proper paint prep-polishing almost any wax will look great....
Old 11-12-2008 | 04:32 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
Sorry, but there is no such thing as a "pure wax". They all contain solvents in them and a form of talcum powder which can, like fine corn starch, be somewhat of an abrasive.

If there was such a thing as pure wax then you would have a brick of wax, not a soft butter like wax. It's the solvents that make it soft.

If a wax claims "100% pure carnauba" it does not mean that it is 100% carnauba but rather the amount of wax it contains, which might only be 20 or 30%, is pure carnauba and not parafin and/or beeswax.

Now you can layer all you like, as many times as you like,But there's really no benefit to it and this information comes from various chemists and manufacturers of waxes. Even with polymers there isn't much benefit after 3 layers. Most pros I know might put on 2 layers of wax but this is more for full coverage more so than thinking it can be layered and increase gloss and such.

Anthony
+1, as the solvents evaporate and wear down, all that's left is the hard carnauba. It is hard as dried corn. Just wash it good and apply a good coat of wax with this...
- http://www.cyclotoolmakers.com/

Best money you'll ever spend. Doesn't swirl or streak. I've owned three black vehicles and wouldn't have it any other way. Ebay for $150
Old 11-12-2008 | 09:02 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

In my experience very few waxes will make a visual difference beyond two layers. All waxes and sealants do look better with two coats and to insure proper coverage you really should use at least two coats. The only exceptions to date for me has been Pinnacle Souveran which looks best with three layers.

Products I have layered included:
Zaino Z2, Z5
S100 Carnauba
Zymol Carbon
Meguiars #26
Meguiars NXT
Griots Best of Show
Gliptone
A few others not worth mentioning....
Old 11-13-2008 | 07:01 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

You can only layer high end carnuba waxes, the synthetics just peal off the other layer. Zaino, is the one exception on synth layering.

Zymol, with the estate glazes have in the instructions to put on 2 coats over a 12hr period.

In my experience, you really don't gain much durability over time with layering. Of course, if you wax once a week, it will be protected better then if you only wax 4 times a year.

Quick Reply: Layering Wax - Timing?