Notices

Wax Residue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:57 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax Residue

I have several years worth of wax buildup on the rubber parts of my 996. Especially along the sides of the roof, but really everywhere there is rubber, it is discolored, white mostly. Is there a product I can use to get this off, or if not completely remove it, cover it up for any length of time?

I am usually very careful, but I suffered a heat attack a couple of years ago, and had to pay to keep my cars detailed. I am now back to normal, have the energy and strength to get back to caring for my cars like I used to. I have tried several things already, but nothing seems to help for any longer than through the first wash. It is more of an issue with the 996 because it is black, but I have the same thing with some of my other toys.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I used "P21S Total Auto Wash" on all the Rubber Trim on the Exterior. Gave it all a good brush with a soft brush (Zymol Horse Hair Wheel Brush). It all came of and lot of dirt came off as well. Then i dressed it with Mother Back-To Black.

After you do this get yoru self some Quality Wax that does nto Residue :P
Old 10-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
I used "P21S Total Auto Wash" on all the Rubber Trim on the Exterior. Gave it all a good brush with a soft brush (Zymol Horse Hair Wheel Brush). It all came of and lot of dirt came off as well. Then i dressed it with Mother Back-To Black.

After you do this get yoru self some Quality Wax that does nto Residue :P
Good Advice. You can also substitute a quick detailer for the auto wash if you don't need to wash the car.

The only way to remove the really hard stuff is very carefully with a toothpick.

This kind of detailing makes all the difference IMHO.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:16 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can also use.

Einszett Plastic and Vinyl Cleaner

and yes a Boar's Hair Brush like this one

tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 AM
car_aficionado
4th Gear

Originally Posted by smshirk
I have several years worth of wax buildup on the rubber parts of my 996. Especially along the sides of the roof, but really everywhere there is rubber, it is discolored, white mostly. Is there a product I can use to get this off, or if not completely remove it, cover it up for any length of time?

I am usually very careful, but I suffered a heat attack a couple of years ago, and had to pay to keep my cars detailed. I am now back to normal, have the energy and strength to get back to caring for my cars like I used to. I have tried several things already, but nothing seems to help for any longer than through the first wash. It is more of an issue with the 996 because it is black, but I have the same thing with some of my other toys.

The easiest thing that you can do is the next time you wash your car, use a tooth brush to get into the tighter places that you cant get into with a rag and your finger. You don't have to use any special chemicals or anything that i know of…. but you can also try Autopia Car Care Products, it’s the best…

Try it here: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/car-c...t-sealant.html
Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like this forum sponser stated Iz einzett

To remove old wax /sealant residue from plasticized rubber use Iz einszett Plastic Cleaner and a micro fibre towel. Simply spray some cleaner on the towel and work it into the rubber or wherever you need to clean. A toothpick also comes in handy in getting into tight places. This product will also provide protection for the trim - http://www.detailersdomain.com
Old 11-06-2008, 08:42 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wurth Citrus Degreaser also works very well. You can dilute, or use full strength, depending on the job required.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I would not use a tooth brush on any painted or plastic surfaces. The bristles of a tooth brush are made for hard teeth not soft paint or plastic. I made this mistake years ago and would hate to see others repeat it. The boars hair or horse hair brush is the way to go if you want to preserve the cars appearance.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:04 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone. I got it all cleaned up and my Wing on..

Old 11-10-2008, 05:18 AM
full_speed
2nd Gear

Hello, smshirk.

I also suffered a heart attack six months ago, and my doctor ordered me not to do any strenuous work. That includes cleaning my two beloved cars.

But I did find a product that allows you to retain your cars' shine but won't make you heave, groan, huff, or puff. It's called Ultima. Have you heard of it?

According to the manufacturer, it is a high-tech product that uses highly reflective nanotechlogy-based polymers that bonds to the microscopic pits on the car's paintwork. Since it is molecularly bonded, it is long lasting.

Of all the waxes, paint sealers, or coat protectors i tried, I find Ultima the easiest product to apply. In fact, i just wipe it on with a soft sponge, then leave it to dry, then it's magic does the rest. I really don't have to do a lot of work.

And the gloss is exemplary. I'll try to see if I can find a picture of my car treated with Ultima.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

No, I haven't heard of it before. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 AM
full_speed
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by smshirk
No, I haven't heard of it before. Thanks for the info.
Hi smshirk. You're welcome

Actually, I've never heard of "nanotechnology-based ploymers"; I'm not really a techie anyway. But I think this should help in explaining how Ultima works.

Pretty cool actually.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Griot's Garage has a product that comes in a shoe dye applicator type of bottle with the little sponge at the end. It works but I found while detailing my boat engine cowls that Magic Eraser that I buy at the grocery store works really well at getting dried wax off of plastic parts.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I'll second what Phil said about 1Z plastic cleaner, it really cleans off all the crap!

Quick Reply: Wax Residue