Notices

Micro scratch/spider web removal??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:14 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Micro scratch/spider web removal??

I have some mild scratches-spider webbing on my guards red 928....otherwise the paint is in very good shape..... Nothing too deep....just the type you can see under florescent light, or from the right angle. I am looking for a polish that will remove-minimize the scratches or a glaze that will fill them (but also withstand a wax coat after it like rejex) I don't want anything too abrasive, since I don't want to remove too much paint? I also want something that isn't too hard to remove

I use a random orbit buffer (1K rpm) with microfiber bonnets....I use a non abrasive chemical oxidation remover to keep the paint fresh...but want something to help on the little scratches...

Ideas? Heres a pic (hard to show scratches)
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2006, 02:23 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd try optimum polish but you have to kick up the speed on the random orbit assuming its a Porter cable to like 4 finishing with 6
Old 05-17-2006, 08:09 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by jb26jb
I'd try optimum polish but you have to kick up the speed on the random orbit assuming its a Porter cable to like 4 finishing with 6
Its not a porter cable...its a fixed speed tank I've had forever....12" width and weighs a ton!! Works great on roofs-hoods...but gets real heavy fast on doors, fenders etc.

I've been thinking about getting a portercable....since its adjustable speed, 6" pads and far lighter!!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

You seem to be describing a GEM orbital. They were designed for plane polishing and not so much for cars...hence the heavy weight.

You should get a PC or Cyclo as your orbital won't do anything when used in conjunction with a polish. In fact it may cause more marring than it removes.

When you get a PC or better a Cyclo, Optimum Hyper Compound followed by Optimum Polish should remove 90% of the marring.

ANthony
Old 05-18-2006, 09:47 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
You seem to be describing a GEM orbital. They were designed for plane polishing and not so much for cars...hence the heavy weight.

You should get a PC or Cyclo as your orbital won't do anything when used in conjunction with a polish. In fact it may cause more marring than it removes.

When you get a PC or better a Cyclo, Optimum Hyper Compound followed by Optimum Polish should remove 90% of the marring.

ANthony
I looked on the buffer but don't see any brand names...its a big two handle, all metal in a dark gray color with a pebbly texture...huge motor and weight assembly with a green SOS looking foam pad under the bonnets?

The good news is it should be easy to remove the scratches, since guards red is a base color only paint..... Time to get a new polisher!! Which porter cable do you like...the 7424 or 7336? Whats the difference?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:09 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a PC with a Swirlbuster pad from Sonus - works well with their SFX2 swirl removal polish.

I bought a black C2 and had some work to do, removing the swirls from the previous owners detailing attemps - the above with a suitable final wax did the job with ease.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/sonsbfpp.html

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-420.html

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pcdepot.html

Chris.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Used here on my Black C2 with Meguiars NXT as the final wax

Chris.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:39 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Chris
Looks sweet!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
I looked on the buffer but don't see any brand names...its a big two handle, all metal in a dark gray color with a pebbly texture...huge motor and weight assembly with a green SOS looking foam pad under the bonnets?

The good news is it should be easy to remove the scratches, since guards red is a base color only paint..... Time to get a new polisher!! Which porter cable do you like...the 7424 or 7336? Whats the difference?
If it has a metal/aluminum housing then it's most likely a GEM....big heavy suckers!!

As for the PC.....this is a nice deal here http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html

Let me know when you decide and I can help you through the steps.

Anthony
Old 05-22-2006, 06:35 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Anthony
I will take a look at that one.....I think I have a GEM now....its a tank!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:57 PM
texas911
Race Car

Can you buff out spider cracking? My 993 has a small crack on the roof. Hope it won't spread. Is there a way to get rid of it?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Bill Ball
Under the Lift
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Brian:

I missed this thread earlier. I have a Porter Cable and a variety of mild compounds. My favorite mild finishing compound for removing the fine spider web lines is 3M Finesse-It II. It is a very fine aluminum oxide liquid that dissolves to nothing as you buff. The only problem is the 1980s paint on the 928 is hard as a rock and takes a lot of buffing to clear up. One of these times when you visit, let's try the PC with this compound.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:15 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Bill
That is a good polish....it worked good on Nicoles clear coated paint.....should work better on a single stage paint!!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by texas911
Can you buff out spider cracking? My 993 has a small crack on the roof. Hope it won't spread. Is there a way to get rid of it?
If you can feel the crack with your fingernail..as in your nail catches the crack, then it is beyond the repair abilities of a compound and polisher.

If it is a light scratch where your nail does not catch then it is possible it can be corrected with the right product, pad and polisher. Is it possible to post up a picture?

Anthony
Old 06-03-2006, 10:20 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

I bought a Porter Cable for $ 110 and then had to buy the Velcro attachment for my pads. Here's the link Iwhere I found mine.
http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/r...ers/7424r.html

Also, I just used it for the first time on my old truck. I used #4 and tried out #5 with Griot's paint sealant. How hard do you need to puch down? I know it's a feel, but I am tempting on washing and buffing my 930 tomorrow.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Micro scratch/spider web removal??