Notices

Looking for the best cutting pads for my Porter Cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 10:39 AM
trozenhorse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the best cutting pads for my Porter Cable

looking for great quality cuttings pads, from the most agressive to polishing, ones that will last more than one car waxing, not fly off, not twist, that will actually get mild scratches and marks out. The LC pads i have dont do the trick. As well if there is another system better than just the veclro holding it in place that would be great.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the meguiar's soft buff pads and they work great. 8006 and 9006 pads are what I use-8006 for polishing, and 9006 as a finishing pad.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Anthony and some of the other people on here that I have gotten advice from seem to love the Optimum stuff. Haven't gotten anything but the wax yet though so I can't comment. Hope to take on that project soon though. Paging Anthony.

josh
Old 05-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trozenhorse
looking for great quality cuttings pads, from the most agressive to polishing, ones that will last more than one car waxing, not fly off, not twist, that will actually get mild scratches and marks out. The LC pads i have dont do the trick. As well if there is another system better than just the veclro holding it in place that would be great.

Thanks in advance for the info.
The LC pads are usually pretty good quality wise so I'm surprised you have had trouble with them.

It could be not so much the pads themselves not being able to remove the scratches but rather the PC itself. The PC generates next to nothing in heat and friction and that's what's needed to remove scratches and marring.

Have you tried an orange power pad with your PC ? Several manufacturers sell these pads and they are pretty aggressive yet they finish out nicely also.

Anthony
Old 05-12-2006, 07:56 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

i have an orange cutting pad by LC, i need something more agressive for sure....
Old 05-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Well for the PC the orange pad is about as aggressive as you'll get and still be in the "workable" zone. In other words, if you go up to a wool pad then you'll most likely put more marring into the paint then you'll be able to remove. Even a yellow cutting pad I feel is too aggressive for the PC.

If you can't remove what you need to with an orange pad and your cutting product then you most likely need a high speed rotary. Because the PC operates in OPM (orbits per minute) it doesn't generate much heat and friction and heat and friction are needed to level paint defects such as scratches and swirls. A rotary operates in RPM's and it generates plenty of heat an dfriction to quickly level paint down BUT with that added power comes a greater risk to do paint damage. One pass to many over the same area and your paint is gone! The results though can be outstanding if properly performed.

Anthony
Old 05-14-2006, 12:35 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

i think i will order a few more orange LC pads, is it worth a try with the yellow? i am pretty good with my hands and detailing and taking care, i just cannot get enough friction with the orange and when i put pressure on the pad it starts to slip off the backing plate....ideas suggestions?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:12 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a great kit from sonus

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/sondas.html

Has a range of pads from hard cutting, through swirl removal and then wax/buffing.

Nice velcro plate for the PC - good pad thickness avoids bottoming out the pads on the car.

Chris.

Last edited by cdodkin; 05-22-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Try Griot's Garage and AutoGeek.com. They both stock pads for the Porter Cable and range in abrassiveness. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Looking for the best cutting pads for my Porter Cable