Notices

Macan Fender Wells & Underside Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 04:29 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Macan Fender Wells & Underside Cleaning

The Macan (2018 and older) has black composite plastic, with a rough surface, installed as fender liners, and underneath trays. The rough surface acts almost like a microfiber and clings to and retains road debris (especially cut vegetation). What methods and/or products have been used by others in detailing those areas, to achieve a decent finish look of those underneath black rough areas? Thanks in advance for any input. Type 2

Last edited by Type 2; 02-27-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: MSP
Old 02-27-2018, 05:44 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a big fan of Griot's Garage Undercarriage spray. It always makes my F-150 wells look like new.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Damon, thanks for the recommendation. Type 2
Old 02-28-2018, 01:03 AM
Krampus
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best luck I have with textured liners like that is P21S and a EZ Detail Brush. that way it can scrub in the texture to clean it really well. Plus you can bend the detail brush to the curvature of the liner. It will help speed up and do a better job cleaning.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Default Macan Fender Liners & Undertray Cleaning

Originally Posted by Krampus
Best luck I have with textured liners like that is P21S and a EZ Detail Brush. that way it can scrub in the texture to clean it really well. Plus you can bend the detail brush to the curvature of the liner. It will help speed up and do a better job cleaning.
Kramps, I have P21S, in both Autowash, and in Wheel Cleaner, so all I need is the Detail Brush ( I generally do not use nylon brushes, but microfiber tools) for the first cleaning. I may still follow up with Griot's Undercarriage Spray if the fenderwell liners need to be darkened. I will post may experience in a week or so, after Werks at Amelia Island. Thanks, Type 2

Last edited by Type 2; 02-28-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: MSP
Old 03-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,979 Likes on 2,054 Posts

All purpose cleaner, and then a bucket of soapy water with wheel woolies. Use the larger wheel woolly in that area. Or any sort of thick brush. That will take care of it. I have them on my Audi.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:12 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Type 2
Kramps, I have P21S, in both Autowash, and in Wheel Cleaner, so all I need is the Detail Brush ( I generally do not use nylon brushes, but microfiber tools) for the first cleaning. I may still follow up with Griot's Undercarriage Spray if the fenderwell liners need to be darkened. I will post may experience in a week or so, after Werks at Amelia Island. Thanks, Type 2
So what was your experience- update?
Old 07-02-2019, 04:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Once a year, prior to winter hibernation, I pull the wheels and clean ther black plastic wheel well liners with Simple Green, rinse well, blow dry, and treat with Aerospace 303.

Last edited by LexVan; 07-02-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:59 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
Once a year, prior to winter hibenation, I pull the wheels and clean ther black plastic wheel well liners with Simple Green, rinse well, blow dry, and treat with Aerospace 303.
I have a problem with those fuzzy fiberboard fragments and filaments. Its so hard to clean and keep that way.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:00 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Default Report, No Silver Bullet, Use the Products You Have

Originally Posted by bcgreen
So what was your experience- update?
In my first post (the thread starter) it was noted "The Macan (2018 and older) has black composite fiberboard (strike "plastic"), with a rough surface similar to short Velcro, installed as fender liners, and underneath trays. The rough surface acts almost like a microfiber and clings to and retains road debris (especially cut vegetation)."

The best method that I found for the fiberboard fender liners and underneath trays, after gaining access by putting our Macan up on jackstands, and dropping the tires and wheels, is a stiff hand brush, pictured above with some of the products I tried, along with P21 diluted wheel wash, or P21 diluted Auto Wash. I tried using the Griot's Undercarriage Spray (pictured) to darken the fiberboard up with vigourous brushing using the stiff brush, and the results were satisfactory, but not awe inspiring.

After driving 1200 miles plus, we showed our Macan in Full Preparation II at the 2018 Ozark Parade, and (after gaining access) used the stiff brush and 303 Aerospace Protectant to help repel dirt and cut vegatation being collected by the grey-black fiberboards driving from the Concours Prep Site to the Concours field on the golf course. I did use Oil-Flo Safety Solvent Cleaner, with the stiff brush, prior to using the 303. The stiff brush was the principle work tool, even on the Concours field. I did not identify any one of the products mentioned or shown in the photo as my go-to product in conjunction with the stiff brush. As an aside, I would have paid Porsche AG for an option on the Macan of hard black plastic liners and under trays rather than the pressed fiberboard that is shown in the second photo. Type 2, who is thankful that our 997.2 has plastic liners!

Last edited by Type 2; 07-03-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Delete word, and add word
Old 07-03-2019, 03:16 PM
bcgreen
Pro

In my first post (the thread starter) it was noted "The Macan (2018 and older) has black composite fiberboard (strike "plastic"), with a rough surface similar to short Velco, installed as fender liners, and underneath trays. The rough surface acts almost like a microfiber and clings to and retains road debris (especially cut vegetation)."

The best method that I found for the fiberboard fender liners and underneath trays, after gaining access by putting our Macan up on jackstands, and dropping the tires and wheels, is a stiff hand brush, pictured above with some of the products I tried, along with P21 diluted wheel wash, or P21 diluted Auto Wash. I tried using the Griot's Undercarroage Spray (pictured) to darken the fiberboard up with vigourous brushing using the stiff brush, and the results were satisfactory, but not awe inspiring.

After driving 1200 miles plus, we showed our Macan in Full Preparation II at the 2018 Ozark Parade, and (after gaining access) used the stiff brush and 303 Aerospace Protectant to help repel dirt and cut vegatation being collected by the grey-black fiberboards driving from the Concours Prep Site to the Concours field on the golf course. I did use Oil-Flo Safety Solvent Cleaner, with the stiff brush, prior to using the 303. The stiff brush was the principle work tool, even on the Concours field. I did not identify any one of the products mentioned or shown in the photo as my go-to product in conjunction with the stiff brush. As an aside, I would have paid Porsche AG for an option on the Macan of hard black plastic liners and under trays rather than the pressed fiberboard that is shown in the second photo. Type 2, who is thankful that our 997.2 has plastic liners!
Werd you and your Mac in Pano?
Old 07-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcgreen
Were you and your Mac in Pano?
Yes, MAC and my spouse were featured in a Pano article earlier this year.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:10 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Yes, MAC and my spouse were featured in a Pano article earlier this year.
Loved reading the article and sympathizing with the wheel well issue. Thought of contacting PCA for contact info to get your secret to cleaning the wheel well.
Nice to find you here.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Quick Reply: Macan Fender Wells & Underside Cleaning