Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Concours & Car Care (https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/)
-   -   Macan Fender Wells & Underside Cleaning (https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/1054193-macan-fender-wells-and-underside-cleaning.html)

Type 2 02-27-2018 04:29 PM

Macan Fender Wells & Underside Cleaning

The Macan (2018 and older) has black composite plastic, with a rough surface, installed as fender liners, and underneath trays. The rough surface acts almost like a microfiber and clings to and retains road debris (especially cut vegetation). What methods and/or products have been used by others in detailing those areas, to achieve a decent finish look of those underneath black rough areas? Thanks in advance for any input. Type 2

brad@tirerack.com 02-27-2018 05:44 PM

I'm a big fan of Griot's Garage Undercarriage spray. It always makes my F-150 wells look like new.

Type 2 02-27-2018 09:05 PM

Damon, thanks for the recommendation. Type 2

Krampus 02-28-2018 01:03 AM

Best luck I have with textured liners like that is P21S and a EZ Detail Brush. that way it can scrub in the texture to clean it really well. Plus you can bend the detail brush to the curvature of the liner. It will help speed up and do a better job cleaning.

Type 2 02-28-2018 02:32 PM

Macan Fender Liners & Undertray Cleaning

Originally Posted by Krampus (Post 14835563)
Best luck I have with textured liners like that is P21S and a EZ Detail Brush. that way it can scrub in the texture to clean it really well. Plus you can bend the detail brush to the curvature of the liner. It will help speed up and do a better job cleaning.

Kramps, I have P21S, in both Autowash, and in Wheel Cleaner, so all I need is the Detail Brush ( I generally do not use nylon brushes, but microfiber tools) for the first cleaning. I may still follow up with Griot's Undercarriage Spray if the fenderwell liners need to be darkened. I will post may experience in a week or so, after Werks at Amelia Island. Thanks, Type 2

Bxstr 03-01-2018 07:28 PM

All purpose cleaner, and then a bucket of soapy water with wheel woolies. Use the larger wheel woolly in that area. Or any sort of thick brush. That will take care of it. I have them on my Audi.

bcgreen 07-02-2019 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Type 2 (Post 14836784)
Kramps, I have P21S, in both Autowash, and in Wheel Cleaner, so all I need is the Detail Brush ( I generally do not use nylon brushes, but microfiber tools) for the first cleaning. I may still follow up with Griot's Undercarriage Spray if the fenderwell liners need to be darkened. I will post may experience in a week or so, after Werks at Amelia Island. Thanks, Type 2

So what was your experience- update?

LexVan 07-02-2019 04:16 PM

Once a year, prior to winter hibernation, I pull the wheels and clean ther black plastic wheel well liners with Simple Green, rinse well, blow dry, and treat with Aerospace 303.

bcgreen 07-02-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 15947683)
Once a year, prior to winter hibenation, I pull the wheels and clean ther black plastic wheel well liners with Simple Green, rinse well, blow dry, and treat with Aerospace 303.

I have a problem with those fuzzy fiberboard fragments and filaments. Its so hard to clean and keep that way.

Type 2 07-03-2019 02:00 PM

Report, No Silver Bullet, Use the Products You Have

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ba87ed8192.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...542ffa8b1b.jpg

Originally Posted by bcgreen (Post 15947672)
So what was your experience- update?

In my first post (the thread starter) it was noted "The Macan (2018 and older) has black composite fiberboard (strike "plastic"), with a rough surface similar to short Velcro, installed as fender liners, and underneath trays. The rough surface acts almost like a microfiber and clings to and retains road debris (especially cut vegetation)."

The best method that I found for the fiberboard fender liners and underneath trays, after gaining access by putting our Macan up on jackstands, and dropping the tires and wheels, is a stiff hand brush, pictured above with some of the products I tried, along with P21 diluted wheel wash, or P21 diluted Auto Wash. I tried using the Griot's Undercarriage Spray (pictured) to darken the fiberboard up with vigourous brushing using the stiff brush, and the results were satisfactory, but not awe inspiring.

After driving 1200 miles plus, we showed our Macan in Full Preparation II at the 2018 Ozark Parade, and (after gaining access) used the stiff brush and 303 Aerospace Protectant to help repel dirt and cut vegatation being collected by the grey-black fiberboards driving from the Concours Prep Site to the Concours field on the golf course. I did use Oil-Flo Safety Solvent Cleaner, with the stiff brush, prior to using the 303. The stiff brush was the principle work tool, even on the Concours field. I did not identify any one of the products mentioned or shown in the photo as my go-to product in conjunction with the stiff brush. As an aside, I would have paid Porsche AG for an option on the Macan of hard black plastic liners and under trays rather than the pressed fiberboard that is shown in the second photo. Type 2, who is thankful that our 997.2 has plastic liners!

bcgreen 07-03-2019 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Type 2 (Post 15949690)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ba87ed8192.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...542ffa8b1b.jpg

In my first post (the thread starter) it was noted "The Macan (2018 and older) has black composite fiberboard (strike "plastic"), with a rough surface similar to short Velco, installed as fender liners, and underneath trays. The rough surface acts almost like a microfiber and clings to and retains road debris (especially cut vegetation)."

The best method that I found for the fiberboard fender liners and underneath trays, after gaining access by putting our Macan up on jackstands, and dropping the tires and wheels, is a stiff hand brush, pictured above with some of the products I tried, along with P21 diluted wheel wash, or P21 diluted Auto Wash. I tried using the Griot's Undercarroage Spray (pictured) to darken the fiberboard up with vigourous brushing using the stiff brush, and the results were satisfactory, but not awe inspiring.

After driving 1200 miles plus, we showed our Macan in Full Preparation II at the 2018 Ozark Parade, and (after gaining access) used the stiff brush and 303 Aerospace Protectant to help repel dirt and cut vegatation being collected by the grey-black fiberboards driving from the Concours Prep Site to the Concours field on the golf course. I did use Oil-Flo Safety Solvent Cleaner, with the stiff brush, prior to using the 303. The stiff brush was the principle work tool, even on the Concours field. I did not identify any one of the products mentioned or shown in the photo as my go-to product in conjunction with the stiff brush. As an aside, I would have paid Porsche AG for an option on the Macan of hard black plastic liners and under trays rather than the pressed fiberboard that is shown in the second photo. Type 2, who is thankful that our 997.2 has plastic liners!

Werd you and your Mac in Pano?

Type 2 07-03-2019 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by bcgreen (Post 15949860)
Were you and your Mac in Pano?

Yes, MAC and my spouse were featured in a Pano article earlier this year.

bcgreen 07-03-2019 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Type 2 (Post 15950122)
Yes, MAC and my spouse were featured in a Pano article earlier this year.

Loved reading the article and sympathizing with the wheel well issue. Thought of contacting PCA for contact info to get your secret to cleaning the wheel well.
Nice to find you here.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.