Sponsored By:

'25 Cayenne S E Hybrid Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 03:11 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '25 Cayenne S E Hybrid Questions

We're considering a '25 SEH and have some questions...we're going to the dealer next week and would like to gather some intel in the interim.

Is '25 going to be the last model year for the 3rd generation of Cayenne?

What are the disadvantages of the S E H?

If one already has a 220v outlet in/near their garage, do you still need to install special equipment?

How's the 8 speed PDK in these - smooth shifting in all auto/comfort applications?

How's the AC in hot climates? Been reading and have personally experienced issues with new two 25 X7's (M60/40i) and full-sized RR AB where the temp coming out of the vents even at the coldest/max setting wasn't great.

How are the massaging seats - do the lower cushions offer just as many little massaging air bags as the back cushions?

Here's the build thus far, didn't go with all leather as trying to save a cow - is the standard interior material nice, and anything specific I missed that's a must have? This will be used as the household's suv, not as our perf vehicle, already have that covered.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PSDMP1X6

Appreciate any info you can share.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:58 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Q: '25 last version of 3rd generation
A: only Porsche knows the answer to this - I'm guessing we're good on ICE/Hybrid Cayenne's until at least 2028 - probably 2032 - but who honestly knows - even Porsche doesn't "know" - since plans always change - 2025 is not the "last" hybrid - as to how many more there will be - I'd venture honestly NO ONE knows.

Q: disadvantages?
A: lots of threads on this - mostly weight and perceived complexity for some future problems - as a successful eHybrid owner I think it's mostly FUD - others will disagree - there are pro's/con's to everything - easy to focus on cons and not remember the "pro's" - in my opinion nothing definitive in the "con" column other than yes it's heavier and therefore slightly "less" sporty - by the time you're buying any SUV I'd argue you can take a reduction in "sporty" cause you pick up a lot with the hybrid in other areas - others will disagree

Q: 220V outlet
A: yes you will need to plug in the included Porsche EVSE (or purchase a non-Porsche EVSE) on this 220V outlet and you need to make sure the outlet is commerical/industrial grade socket (Hubble) as porsche notes in their tech bulletin for hybrid/EV charging - if you have a 50 amp 220V existing circuit and commerical-grade hubble socket the included Porsche EVSE will charge your vehicle at 9.6 kW (3.5 hours from empty to full) - maximum charge rate for '24 and later CAyenne's is 11 kw -this requires puchasing/installing a Wall mounted EVSE - and a 60 amp circuit (wire and breaker) - Porsche Wall Charger or other Wall Mounted chargers will do the trick, but that means you're not using hte included moible EVSE that comes with the vehicle and you need to "upgrade/add" a 60 amp circuit for this "faster" EVSE - I'll argue this is a good thing and sets you up well for future hybrid or full eV purchases - Taycan/Macan EV's also have an 11 kW max charge rate - also the Porsche EVSE included with the vehicle does not have the best reputation w/Taycan community and many Taycan owner's eschew the Porsche EVSE for a set of well documented problems (it's currently under recall by Porsche).

here is Porsche's tech bulletin discussing the suggestion/need/requirement for a industrial grade NEMA socket (Hubble) for home EVSE installation - this is best practice according to Porsche, the industry at large, long time EV owners, and people who've nearly burnt down their house from using a "normal" residential grade outlet from home depot…

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...22530-0001.pdf

Porsche recommends home owners only install industrial quality electrical NEMA receptacles and have the installation performed by qualified electricians in accordance with the National Electrical Code or applicable local equivalents.
For example, the following receptacles are recommended for their industrial quality and ability to handle high current with minimal electrical resistance for long periods of time:
• Hubbell HBL9450A = NEMA 14-50 Receptacle (4-wire)
• Hubbell HBL9367 = NEMA 6-50 Receptacle (3-wire)
also is the 220 outlet a 50 amp circuit breaker or 30 amp circuit breaker - you can get the included Porsche EVSE with any of 4 different plug-types for $0 at order time ($300'ish for separate modular cables after delivery) - but you need to ask your dealer to add the correct plug-type to the order, which means you need to know what type of plug it is. Unless the house is really old (built before the 1970's) you're likely to have one of 4 types of plugs - NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 (4 blades vs. 3 blades) - 50 amp breaker - or a NEMA 14-30 or 6-30 (4 blades vs. 3 blades) 30 amp breaker - the included Porsche EVSE can plug into any of these 4 types of plugs - it's very very unlikely your existing plugs are industrial grade Hubble NEMA sockets - so at a minimum you'll need to swap for the upgraded outlet - standard equipment list for the Cayenne Turbo eHybrfid on Posrche's North American website lists NEMA 14-50 as the "default" plug type it comes with - so you'll want the hubble version of a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed for _ANY_ mobile plug-based EVSE (not just the Porsche one) - NOTE; porsche also lists their mobile EVSE as an 11 kW EVSE - this is an error and impossible on a mobile plug-based EVSE - max output of _ANY_ mobile plug-based EVSE in North American is 9.6 kW on a 50 amp circuit - 11 kW charging _REQUIRES_ a hardwired non-mobile 60 amp EVSE and associated 60 amp circuit breaker - I've tried to get porsche to "fix" this error but they won't listen. Existing '24 Cayenne owners are charging at 11 kW with hardwired EVSE equipment in the threads I've linked and I've owned EV's 12+ years and know what I'm talking about in this space.

Q: smooth PDK
A: one it's not a PDK (PDK isn't appropriate for towing I'm told) and it's pretty smooth and a great 8 speed transmission

Q: air conditioning?
A: for my 2021 it's pretty good - I have no personal experience with '24 or later models

Q: massage seats
A: great feature if you like this sort of thing you'll enjoy them - we love ours - no lower cushion air bags - just the back rest.

Q: all leather
A: I recently spent time in a '23 Cayenne S loaner with "basic" interior - it did not please me or my wife vs. our upgraded '21 Leather Interior - YMMV - but I'm pretty sure you don't want to cheap out in this space.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-26-2024 at 11:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
500RJC (07-26-2024), Fahrfun (07-27-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 11:00 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

existing threads on charging for Hybrids/full-EV

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ma-socket.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post19557873 - post #18 is the one you want for your specific question

https://www.macanevowners.com/forum/...….16974/

these threads will fix any insomnia problems you may have and set you up for all things home EV charging…

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-charging.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/macan-ev...ev-owners.html
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-….2343/

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-26-2024 at 11:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
500RJC (07-26-2024), Fahrfun (07-27-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 11:23 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Mods - we need a sticky with a “best of” @daveo4porsche for new hybrid owners. His posts are the go to source for accurate information on the hybrids, especially setting up your garage for charging your new hybrid.

Thanks Dave!

The following 8 users liked this post by Schnave:
500RJC (07-26-2024), CayenneTE1510 (07-26-2024), daveo4porsche (07-26-2024), Fahrfun (07-27-2024), MAXFPS (07-28-2024), mgx1020 (07-27-2024), Needsdecaf (07-26-2024), TXSchnee (07-26-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-26-2024, 11:25 AM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

There are lots of articles indicating Porsche is not abandoning gas engines in the Cayenne for a number of years. Here's one:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...-hybrid-2030s/
The following 2 users liked this post by Ticket Target:
500RJC (07-26-2024), daveo4porsche (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 01:24 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
Mods - we need a sticky with a “best of” @daveo4porsche for new hybrid owners. His posts are the go to source for accurate information on the hybrids, especially setting up your garage for charging your new hybrid.

Thanks Dave!
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...chargingo.html
Old 07-26-2024, 01:34 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by 500RJC
We're considering a '25 SEH and have some questions...we're going to the dealer next week and would like to gather some intel in the interim.

Is '25 going to be the last model year for the 3rd generation of Cayenne?.
Absolutely not. If you look at my "4th gen cayenne goes EV thread" it clearly states the current gen cayenne will be sold along side the new one until at least 2030. They do say it will be updated again, though.
The following users liked this post:
500RJC (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 06:44 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Absolutely not. If you look at my "4th gen cayenne goes EV thread" it clearly states the current gen cayenne will be sold along side the new one until at least 2030. They do say it will be updated again, though.
Thanks, this part is key, when was the last facelift/update?
Old 07-26-2024, 07:00 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Q: '25 last version of 3rd generation
A: only Porsche knows the answer to this - I'm guessing we're good on ICE/Hybrid Cayenne's until at least 2028 - probably 2032 - but who honestly knows - even Porsche doesn't "know" - since plans always change - 2025 is not the "last" hybrid - as to how many more there will be - I'd venture honestly NO ONE knows.

Am also curious about the timing of last/next facelift?

Q: disadvantages?
A: lots of threads on this - mostly weight and perceived complexity for some future problems - as a successful eHybrid owner I think it's mostly FUD - others will disagree - there are pro's/con's to everything - easy to focus on cons and not remember the "pro's" - in my opinion nothing definitive in the "con" column other than yes it's heavier and therefore slightly "less" sporty - by the time you're buying any SUV I'd argue you can take a reduction in "sporty" cause you pick up a lot with the hybrid in other areas - others will disagree

Sportiness isn't paramount with this vehicle as we have that covered in another vehicle. Prefer it to be more of a lux-based ride ...would you suggest I forgo the S variant. or is it plush riding in comfort either way?

Q: 220V outlet
A: yes you will need to plug in the included Porsche EVSE (or purchase a non-Porsche EVSE) on this 220V outlet and you need to make sure the outlet is commerical/industrial grade socket (Hubble) as porsche notes in their tech bulletin for hybrid/EV charging - if you have a 50 amp 220V existing circuit and commerical-grade hubble socket the included Porsche EVSE will charge your vehicle at 9.6 kW (3.5 hours from empty to full) - maximum charge rate for '24 and later CAyenne's is 11 kw -this requires puchasing/installing a Wall mounted EVSE - and a 60 amp circuit (wire and breaker) - Porsche Wall Charger or other Wall Mounted chargers will do the trick, but that means you're not using hte included moible EVSE that comes with the vehicle and you need to "upgrade/add" a 60 amp circuit for this "faster" EVSE - I'll argue this is a good thing and sets you up well for future hybrid or full eV purchases - Taycan/Macan EV's also have an 11 kW max charge rate - also the Porsche EVSE included with the vehicle does not have the best reputation w/Taycan community and many Taycan owner's eschew the Porsche EVSE for a set of well documented problems (it's currently under recall by Porsche).

here is Porsche's tech bulletin discussing the suggestion/need/requirement for a industrial grade NEMA socket (Hubble) for home EVSE installation - this is best practice according to Porsche, the industry at large, long time EV owners, and people who've nearly burnt down their house from using a "normal" residential grade outlet from home depot…

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...22530-0001.pdf

also is the 220 outlet a 50 amp circuit breaker or 30 amp circuit breaker - you can get the included Porsche EVSE with any of 4 different plug-types for $0 at order time ($300'ish for separate modular cables after delivery) - but you need to ask your dealer to add the correct plug-type to the order, which means you need to know what type of plug it is. Unless the house is really old (built before the 1970's) you're likely to have one of 4 types of plugs - NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 (4 blades vs. 3 blades) - 50 amp breaker - or a NEMA 14-30 or 6-30 (4 blades vs. 3 blades) 30 amp breaker - the included Porsche EVSE can plug into any of these 4 types of plugs - it's very very unlikely your existing plugs are industrial grade Hubble NEMA sockets - so at a minimum you'll need to swap for the upgraded outlet - standard equipment list for the Cayenne Turbo eHybrfid on Posrche's North American website lists NEMA 14-50 as the "default" plug type it comes with - so you'll want the hubble version of a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed for _ANY_ mobile plug-based EVSE (not just the Porsche one) - NOTE; porsche also lists their mobile EVSE as an 11 kW EVSE - this is an error and impossible on a mobile plug-based EVSE - max output of _ANY_ mobile plug-based EVSE in North American is 9.6 kW on a 50 amp circuit - 11 kW charging _REQUIRES_ a hardwired non-mobile 60 amp EVSE and associated 60 amp circuit breaker - I've tried to get porsche to "fix" this error but they won't listen. Existing '24 Cayenne owners are charging at 11 kW with hardwired EVSE equipment in the threads I've linked and I've owned EV's 12+ years and know what I'm talking about in this space.

Q: smooth PDK
A: one it's not a PDK (PDK isn't appropriate for towing I'm told) and it's pretty smooth and a great 8 speed transmission

Is it a ZF? Their 8 speeds are quite good.

Q: air conditioning?
A: for my 2021 it's pretty good - I have no personal experience with '24 or later models

Is yours a mild/hybrid

Q: massage seats
A: great feature if you like this sort of thing you'll enjoy them - we love ours - no lower cushion air bags - just the back rest.

Hoping that's been updated since, it is a great plus in addition to just the one's in the backrest.

Q: all leather
A: I recently spent time in a '23 Cayenne S loaner with "basic" interior - it did not please me or my wife vs. our upgraded '21 Leather Interior - YMMV - but I'm pretty sure you don't want to cheap out in this space.
Good to know, trying to be animal friendly but if it feels like a 1970's vinyl interior then I may need to sacrifice a cow
Thank you very much. please see my responses above in blue.

Old 07-26-2024, 07:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Thanks, this part is key, when was the last facelift/update?
2024 - digital dash - new interior - modified drive train - etc…2024 _IS_ the latest bump/change - if porsche holds true to historical norms 2028 will be next revision
Old 07-26-2024, 07:03 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ticket Target
There are lots of articles indicating Porsche is not abandoning gas engines in the Cayenne for a number of years. Here's one:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...-hybrid-2030s/
Thanks, have you seen this?

EV owners around the world want to go back to buying gas cars (cnbc.com)
Old 07-26-2024, 07:08 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much. please see my responses above in blue.
last update was 2024 - you're looking at the "latest" for a while

airsuspension is an option for all of them - so if you want sporty/cushy ride "on demand" the air-suspension is quite good - my recent experience with a 2023 loaner Cayenne and no air suspension made me appreciate mine w/air - the loaner wasn't bad - but on roads I 'know' the steel suspension was a bit bumpier than mine - but still quite good.

yes I believe it's a ZF transmission - https://www.zf.com/products/en/cars/...automatic.html

2021 TurboS eHyrbrid - 30 miles range EV only - 17.9 kWh battery - 130 HP EV motor? 640 HP total w/V8 - not sure about what consitutes a full/mild hybrid

no change in massage seat design that I'm aware of with the 2024 - still no butt massage but someone/dealer will have to confirm with a 2024 or later

the plastic dash is all you need to see/feel to know the full leather is the way to go - my wife was unimpressed…and noted the lack of leather touch points.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-28-2024 at 02:13 PM.
500RJC (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 07:11 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

with out any analysis as to why it's an interesting headline but that's it - and 70% don't want to go back - this will also change over time…the reason to return to ICE may have nothing to do with being EV but rather other non-EV changes they don't like - a friend of mine wants to go back to ICE because he doens't like the "subscription" model for his car's information system - nothing to do with being an EV and he'll be equally dissastfieid with an new ICE with the same subscription service requirements…

transiions are hard and never smooth - but 70% approval is great and it can only get better from there.

Compared to the 46% of U.S.-based EV owners who say they may switch back to ICEs, only 18% of Norwegian owners want to switch. In 2023, Norway had the highest electric vehicle adoption rate in the world.
I betcha all the US owners are dissatified with EA a VW run organization that has decimated EV good will - in countries with functional eV charging infrastructure the appreoval rating is much higher - 18% want to go back in Norway - so 80% don't want to go back...

good news - charging can be fixed and the rate of going back to ICE is much lower for Tesla and in other countries

but that's not relevant to a hybrid discussion

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-26-2024 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2024, 09:10 PM
500RJC
Instructor

last update was 2024 - you're looking at the "latest" for a while

airsuspension is an option for all of them - so if you want sporty/cushy ride "on demand" the air-suspension is quite good - my recent experience with a 2023 loaner Cayenne and no air suspension made me appreciate mine w/air - it wasn't bad - but on roads I 'know' the steel suspension was a bit bumpier than mine - but still quite good. Agree AS is a worthwhile option.

yes I believe it's a ZF transmission - https://www.zf.com/products/en/cars/...automatic.html Good news, luv them

2021 TurboS eHyrbrid - 30 miles range EV only - 17.9 kWh battery - 130 HP EV motor? 640 HP total w/V8 - not sure about what consitutes a full/mild hybrid I believe mild means the low voltage 48v boost vs full up to ~600v.

no change in massage seat design that I'm aware of with the 2024 - still no butt massage but someone/dealer will have to confirm with a 2024 or later I hope so and will post back once I know, hopefully those with the updated version can chime in

the plastic dash is all you need to see/feel to know the full leather is the way to go - my wife was unimpressed…and noted the lack of leather touch points Mooo...lol
​​​​​​​Thanks

daveo4porsche (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 09:10 PM
500RJC
Instructor

with out any analysis as to why it's an interesting headline but that's it - and 70% don't want to go back - this will also change over time…the reason to return to ICE may have nothing to do with being EV but rather other non-EV changes they don't like - a friend of mine wants to go back to ICE because he doens't like the "subscription" model for his car's information system - nothing to do with being an EV and he'll be equally dissastfieid with an new ICE with the same subscription service requirements…

transiions are hard and never smooth - but 70% approval is great and it can only get better from there.

I betcha all the US owners are dissatified with EA a VW run organization that has decimated EV good will - in countries with functional eV charging infrastructure the appreoval rating is much higher - 18% want to go back in Norway - so 80% don't want to go back...

good news - charging can be fixed and the rate of going back to ICE is much lower for Tesla and in other countries

but that's not relevant to a hybrid discussion
Agree
daveo4porsche (07-26-2024)

Quick Reply: '25 Cayenne S E Hybrid Questions