Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tutorial: Lithium Battery Conversion to AGM

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2024 | 10:07 PM
Pkick
7th Gear

Originally Posted by UTRacerX9
Yes, I will. What bothers me the most about this is that it was broken before they put it in the box to be shipped, as there are no broken pieces in the box. I either got some kit that was returned and they didn't inspect it, or they put a broken cable in without noticing.

(Small world, I see your sig says you're in Allen TX, I'm just up the road in Prosper.)
Received my kit today from ABL and my blue programmer was also loose in the box with the nut bouncing around and not in the static bag. Planning to keep the kit until my current (circuit board reset) battery dies.
Old 09-18-2024 | 11:34 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by runbuh
PIWIS shows different options, and seems to have only one AGM option. I may go use PIWIS on my car tonight and code it "properly".
Do you know if you just code the Lithium -> AGM change in Gateway / Maintenance Repairs, or do you also need to change the Maintenance or Vehicle Data and then do some autocoding?
Old 09-22-2024 | 05:40 PM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by Mech33
Do you know if you just code the Lithium -> AGM change in Gateway / Maintenance Repairs, or do you also need to change the Maintenance or Vehicle Data and then do some autocoding?
The simulator doesn't show any options for setting AGM batteries, the amperage, etc. There's only a 60Ah lithium option, and that's not even what my car had. The other battery options you see relate to the hybrid battery/. At this point, I don't plan to hook PIWIS up to the actual car and check it out.

Old 09-22-2024 | 06:12 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

I installed the ABL kit and an Everstart AGM battery last week in my 2019 Cayenne. Thanks to Schnave for the tutorial. Like Runbuh, I struggled with the tiny blue plug in the Lin connector. It took about 30 minutes to poke and pull it out.

I had been monitoring the battery for a few months with the Anti-Gravity bluetooth Battery Tracker. Two weeks ago, I noticed that the charge level was down at 54%. I didn't get any warnings on the dash. I charged it with my CTEK lithium charger but, after charging it to 100%, it drop down to 54% +/- after a 30 minute drive. I'd put back on the charger and the same thing happened again several times. The Cayenne is my wife's daily drive so I decided to get the ABL kit and not wait for any warnings.

For anyone who is about to buy the ABL kit, I will sell you my blue OBD dongle for $30 shipped and you can save $160 on your purchase of the kit. The full kit is $459 and the kit w/o dongle is $299. Send me a message.
The following 2 users liked this post by alpine-al:
chassis (09-22-2024), Schnave (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024 | 08:26 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by runbuh
The simulator doesn't show any options for setting AGM batteries, the amperage, etc. There's only a 60Ah lithium option, and that's not even what my car had. The other battery options you see relate to the hybrid battery/. At this point, I don't plan to hook PIWIS up to the actual car and check it out.
Under Batterien when hooked up to my 2020 Turbo, I can see the J2A Lithium 60 AH, as well as three different AGM options (75, 92, and 105 AH).

Just not sure which modules would require coding after that change… a full auto-code would do funky things to stuff like my matrix lights and CarPlay settings.
Old 09-30-2024 | 09:14 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I For anyone who is about to buy the ABL kit, I will sell you my blue OBD dongle for $30 shipped and you can save $160 on your purchase of the kit. The full kit is $459 and the kit w/o dongle is $299. Send me a message.
The blue OBD dongle is on its way to another Rennlister.

Quick Reply: Tutorial: Lithium Battery Conversion to AGM