Can we make this sticky?
I second this motion!
Old 08-17-2024 | 11:18 PM
Pkick
7th Gear

Default Performance History

Originally Posted by SuperG$
I second this motion!
Hello. New forum user here after several years of observing as an unregistered spectator.

I have the same experience mentioned multiple times of battery error, software upgrade, then battery error again several months later.

This kit/swap looks absolutely perfect. Before I go through with this, a couple quick questions. 1. Do we know how many kits have been sold and successfully installed? 2. Those of you that have done the install, any regrets at all?

Thank you.
Old 08-18-2024 | 09:07 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

^^^ No complaints / regrets from me. The AGM battery is dependable and worry free. 👍🏼
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
chassis (08-18-2024), Palantir (08-18-2024)
Old 08-19-2024 | 01:08 PM
mendes9
Track Day

Be aware at least here in the US, the price for the Lithium battery has been reduced to under $1,000, a little more reasonable especially if the new versions do last the anticipated 10 years (if that becomes a reality).
The following 2 users liked this post by mendes9:
i386_64 (08-19-2024), Palantir (08-19-2024)
Old 08-20-2024 | 09:57 AM
i386_64
Rennlist Member

I have a brand new spare H9 (105Ah) battery, do you guys think I can squeeze it in there? It appears to be only 40 mm (1.57 inches) longer than the H8 battery.
Old 08-20-2024 | 12:46 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mendes9
Be aware at least here in the US, the price for the Lithium battery has been reduced to under $1,000, a little more reasonable especially if the new versions do last the anticipated 10 years (if that becomes a reality).
I wonder if the $1,000.00 battery installation labor has been reduced too..

The battery installation, and registration, is as easy as any other vehicle, which calls to the attention on why Porsche is gouging their Porsche owners.

It's a little too late for most owners, after already 5 years of large ownets battery problems, pricing, and availability nightmares..

Porsche can't remove the awful owners issues/complaints that are now all over the web, and even worst, the owners that forever left Porsche for part, service, and repair labor price gouging, which has nothing to do with being a luxury brand..

Many of us former and currrent owners think Porsche is priming part of its future profits in forcing current and future Porsche owners overpay for service, labor, and parts by making its parts custom and hard to maintain/service.. .i.e. adding a built-in controller to the battery to keep others from creating third party battery part or removing the oil dipstick location to make it hard to perform simple oil services, etc.

Without a dip stick hole area, it will force me not to get a Porsche any more.

I was being charged around around to $600 for a simple oil change, which high school kids now do, but when my warranty expired, they asked for $1,000+ for the oil service, which I denied the service.

Now I do it myself for around $75 and in about 45 minutes total using the oil dipstick tube and an oil vacuum extractor.

I guess they removed the oil stick location because they found how easy, and cheap, it was for owners to do their own oil change, oil filter, and engine filter changes..

Old 08-20-2024 | 05:09 PM
mendes9
Track Day

I agree with your comments. I did not inquire about labor costs, as I enjoy doing my own car maintenance myself and I perform my own car repairs as well. I just pulled the trigger on a 2021 Cayenne CPO, and I delayed this purchase from 11/2023 in which I had put a deposit on a car and cancelled the purchase due to this fiasco. That led me to search for a 2022 Cayenne with an AGM battery, but nothing came on the market that I wanted, or by the time I called the dealer the car was sold. With the reduced price now, and also with the aftermarket solution / conversion to AGM I felt comfortable as intend to keep the car long term. Yes, like many others here, I can afford to pay 2K for a battery, but I refuse to be robbed. I know what I'm getting into, and I'm prepared to pay Porsche prices else don't buy it, but this battery example is over the top ridiculous. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder for DIY people to work on their cars, but the internet has helped tremendously with the sharing of information. Anyway, it appears Porsche got the message on this one by the price reduction and the change back to AGM (yes too late for some).
Old 08-21-2024 | 12:49 AM
Pkick
7th Gear

Is the $1000 battery quote from the dealer? Any other way to purchase the lithium battery outside of the dealer?

One last probably stupid question. For my 2019 Cayenne base (US) is the battery under the driver side seat? I see some videos where the driver seat has to be unbolted to even get to the battery and not just a simple moving/sliding of the seat backward?
Old 08-21-2024 | 12:53 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pkick
Is the $1000 battery quote from the dealer? Any other way to purchase the lithium battery outside of the dealer?

One last probably stupid question. For my 2019 Cayenne base (US) is the battery under the driver side seat? I see some videos where the driver seat has to be unbolted to even get to the battery and not just a simple moving/sliding of the seat backward?
The battery in your car is located in the passenger side floor, forward of the seat. Easy to access.

Old 08-21-2024 | 01:56 AM
mendes9
Track Day

Yes, i first looked online for the price and then called a local dealer provided my VIN, $900 and change was the price had 2 in stock, and the parts person was aware of the ridiculous pricing on these batteries.
Old 08-21-2024 | 11:54 AM
Pkick
7th Gear

Yes, i first looked online for the price and then called a local dealer provided my VIN, $900 and change was the price had 2 in stock, and the parts person was aware of the ridiculous pricing on these batteries.
Thank you.
Per dealer in Orlando, $1192.80 for the battery ($991.05) and the additional $ is for a security plate change because the size of the battery is different. PLUS $665.00 in labor for 2 hours to change out and program the battery. So approx $1900 all in for the Porsche option….. or do the AGM swap kit.
The following users liked this post:
i386_64 (08-22-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 11:54 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pkick

It's just under the passenger's seat, just open the passenger's floor pannel, and it's there..

Old 08-21-2024 | 04:36 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would just say a bigtime.... BUYER BEWARE! This looks like a blow-out tactic to get rid of that stock of not so good Cayenne Batteries, I would promote caution that they is actually a newer version and would ask what they changed and if they give that long term warranty in writing. Here how this might work....the original Porsche Lithium Cayenne batteries will last a few years from what people are saying on Renn and then they have problems after a couple years... so Porsche, knows they can get rid of them with a cheaper price then after a few years simply deny warranties again if these batteries act up. If you can get them to quote you a long term warranty go for it, if not don't trust them... this is a $1000 dollar reduction in cost yet they are saying the upgraded the battery? Hmmmm.... You don't want to be stuck with a 1000 dollar battery that only lasts 3-4 years I honestly hate to be so cycnical, but I had a few issues with Porsche and lost my faith in there operations.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheACC (08-21-2024)
Old 08-24-2024 | 10:05 AM
JC68
Rennlist Member

Great write up. Does anyone know what month production in MY2022 did they switch over to AGM from the factory? Is it possible to retrofit the newer AGM factory parts to the cayennes with lithium batteries? Does cayennes with air suspension and dynamic chassis control draw more power resulting in this switch more “risky”?
Old 09-05-2024 | 04:31 PM
UTRacerX9
Intermediate

Well, I ordered the kit... it arrived today, broken. The battery cable connection plug is broken off completely, making it unusable. I have emailed the address listed on the website, hopefully they can resolve this quickly, as my wife's battery seems to be getting worse by the day! I don't think I got a "new" kit either, as the dongle wasn't in the anti static bag either, and was just loose in a small box.

Quick Reply: Tutorial: Lithium Battery Conversion to AGM