Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

9Y0 common problems and failures

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 04:18 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Location for V6 is on the left/driver's LHD cam carrier. Location for V8 is same as V6, and the second OVS is on the right/driver's LHD cam carrier, forward position.

Signs of failure can be misfire or other air-fuel-ignition related CEL.

I hold the view that they are not visually inspectable. The failures are internal and relate to sludged check valves and diaphragms, typically. These are cheap parts which are relatively inexpensive and relatively easy to replace. These should be replaced before 100k miles in my view. DIY not a bad job. Dealer would be expensive as usual.

Failed OVS on the MB M17x 4.0TTV8 causes the collateral failure of rear main crankshaft oil seal. So far this does not seem to be the case with Cayenne. Although the Cayenne water pump active shroud rod seal failure carries with it the collateral risk of failing the vacuum pump. Regarding the OVS, the Cayenne engines seems to be better than the MB engine from a potential of collateral damage point of view.

Last edited by chassis; 08-25-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:50 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Broken wastegate lever also experienced on 971 Panamera with EA839 2.9TTV6.
Old 08-29-2024, 10:51 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
Location for V6 is on the left/driver's LHD cam carrier. Location for V8 is same as V6, and the second OVS is on the right/driver's LHD cam carrier, forward position.

Signs of failure can be misfire or other air-fuel-ignition related CEL.

I hold the view that they are not visually inspectable. The failures are internal and relate to sludged check valves and diaphragms, typically. These are cheap parts which are relatively inexpensive and relatively easy to replace. These should be replaced before 100k miles in my view. DIY not a bad job. Dealer would be expensive as usual.

Failed OVS on the MB M17x 4.0TTV8 causes the collateral failure of rear main crankshaft oil seal. So far this does not seem to be the case with Cayenne. Although the Cayenne water pump active shroud rod seal failure carries with it the collateral risk of failing the vacuum pump. Regarding the OVS, the Cayenne engines seems to be better than the MB engine from a potential of collateral damage point of view.

Thank you. Do you have replacement instructions or can you describe very high level whats involved?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-01-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 12:57 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Thank you. Do you have replacement instructions or can you describe very high level whats involved?
I have not done this job. I think it has been posted for a V6.

In principle:
- remove plastic hoses and tubes
- remove oil-vapor separators
- reinstall

The steps above are dependent on having access to the tubes and oil-vapor separators. For the V6 this means removing the air filter assembly. V8 might require more/different disassembly, I don’t know.
Old 09-01-2024, 08:45 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
… Transmission mount replacement is not the problem or the solution, we agree.

The problem is believed to be rooted in the wet multi-plate clutch device.
New information as of August 2024 requires updating and changing this answer. The 6th gear vibration problem in my ‘22 Cayenne was 100% resolved by replacing the transmission mount. In my car’s case, the transmission mount had failed (worn rubber). The repairs were made under warranty and my car drives again like it used to. No more vibrations. Whether the vibrations will return at some point remains to be seen. But in the meanwhile, I’m just happy my car drives like it used to again..
chassis (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 09:42 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
New information as of August 2024 requires updating and changing this answer. The 6th gear vibration problem in my ‘22 Cayenne was 100% resolved by replacing the transmission mount. In my car’s case, the transmission mount had failed (worn rubber). The repairs were made under warranty and my car drives again like it used to. No more vibrations. Whether the vibrations will return at some point remains to be seen. But in the meanwhile, I’m just happy my car drives like it used to again..
How many miles? Do you think one could visually see the failure?
chassis (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 09:58 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by toma nova
How many miles? Do you think one could visually see the failure?
The problem on my car started between 10-15k mi and I now have 31k miles.. Apparently a worn transmission mount cannot be visualized without removing the mount. I posted the invoice description of the fix on the 6th gear vibration thread a few days ago, which explains how the tech determined the problem was the transmission mount before removing and replacing it. See post #461 here - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post19620100

Last edited by LSR; 09-01-2024 at 10:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LSR:
chassis (09-01-2024), toma nova (09-01-2024)
Old 09-30-2024, 10:09 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Updated list:
  • .1 lurching, surging or lurging when downshifting - believed to be related to the dual mass torque converter damper and lockup clutch release programming
  • .1 6th gear vibration or shudder - believed to be related to the wet multi-plate torque transfer clutch mounted on the rear of the transmission - mainly affects V6 powertrains
  • controllable water pump shroud seal failure - causes collateral damage to the vacuum system - can affect V6 and V8 engines. Can occur with no CEL and no overheating. Can be observed by low coolant level in the reservoir and dried coolant on any component for example coolant shutoff valve or vacuum solenoids.
  • oil vapor separators - regular maintenance item on all modern German direct injection engines - can cause excessive crankcase vacuum or pressure which can fail seals and gaskets - can affect V6 and V8 engines.
  • .1 Porsche Surface Coated Brakes - squealing, no known solution other than changing to standard rotors and pads
  • early .1 LiFePO4 main battery - can fail prematurely - members have reported the battery is replaceable under warranty. Late .1 and all .2 use AGM batteries.
  • PSCB noise complaints when new and apparently an emerging issue with “bumps” on the rotors as they age. Porsche no longer offers PSCB so it suggests they are aware of the problems. No solution to noise, warranty rotor replacement with “bumps” might be possible depending on the dealer and your persistence.
  • broken turbo wastegate lever near approaching 100k miles
  • leaking coolant shutoff valve <50k miles
  • early .1 PCM5 screen goes black without warning. Eventually it reboots itself and returns to normal function.

Last edited by chassis; 10-03-2024 at 05:48 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by chassis:
c-dubmobile (10-03-2024), mgx1020 (10-02-2024), PorscheACC (09-30-2024), whistler80 (10-01-2024)

Quick Reply: 9Y0 common problems and failures