Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

6th Gear Shudder/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 10:35 PM
GTSfix
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 23 GTS and started noting the vibration at about 5,000 miles, so I disagree that it is only related to the V6. I initially thought it was a tire or the road surface, but then recalled this thread and realized it was always when in 6th gear (and a slight vibration in 8th). If I was a passenger and closed my eyes, I could tell you every time it is in 6th, there is a consistent coarseness and roughness to the engine/transmission. The problem is that when in sport, it seems to settle into 6th gear for much of my driving at 40- 60 mph. I did tell my service advisor so that in case there is a fix after the warranty expires I raised the issue during the warranty.

On balance, I like the GTS so much I can live with it. But it is certainly goes in the negative column.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-14-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 01:18 AM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
Similar with my 2022 base now with 21,000 miles. The vibration didn’t show up until about the 10K mark but since then I know right away when it’s in 6th gear as I can feel the mild vibration in the steering wheel and base of the seat. The car has had 4 oil changes and that never makes a difference. Only occasionally can I notice it in 7th but never any other gear and it’s not really RPM dependent. Like others, I’m convinced it’s in the hang on transfer box or whatever they call it. So far I can live with it until perhaps eventually a fix. I’ve not reported it to the dealer as they can’t fix “they all do that” anyway and it’s got the extended warranty.
There was a poster on this board who was complaining that after 150K miles, their base 9Y0 was starting to require a top off on oil after 5-6K miles from the last oil change, and that they ran the vehicle in the 90-100 mph 1/2 the time (takes the place of an airplane in some western state scenarios I can foresee). I wanted to ask about driveline vibrations, but we never got there.

2019 Porsche Cayenne oil burn 150K miles - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Old 08-07-2024, 08:20 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 218 Posts
Default News About 6th Gear Vibration Problem

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
Similar with my 2022 base now with 21,000 miles. The vibration didn’t show up until about the 10K mark but since then I know right away when it’s in 6th gear as I can feel the mild vibration in the steering wheel and base of the seat. The car has had 4 oil changes and that never makes a difference. Only occasionally can I notice it in 7th but never any other gear and it’s not really RPM dependent. Like others, I’m convinced it’s in the hang on transfer box or whatever they call it. So far I can live with it until perhaps eventually a fix. I’ve not reported it to the dealer as they can’t fix “they all do that” anyway and it’s got the extended warranty.
My 2022 base has had the 6th gear vibration problem since about 10k mi. It’s now got 30k mi and the problem persists. I cannot stand it and have started looking to replace the car. But today, I was told by an SA at a major (read: very large) dealer that Porsche is aware of the problem and has authorized the dealer to repair the car under warranty if a customer complains. When I asked if the repair was replacing the transfer case, I was told it’s not the transfer case but rather the transmission mount. I was also told (1) there’s a service bulletin about the problem, and (2) the repair doesn’t entirely eliminate the vibration but significantly reduces it.

Has anyone with this issue heard anything similar? I’ll be bringing my car in for the repair in a couple of weeks, and will report back after it’s done.
chassis (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 08:32 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
My 2022 base has had the 6th gear vibration problem since about 10k mi. It’s now got 30k mi and the problem persists. I cannot stand it and have started looking to replace the car. But today, I was told by an SA at a major (read: very large) dealer that Porsche is aware of the problem and has authorized the dealer to repair the car under warranty if a customer complains. When I asked if the repair was replacing the transfer case, I was told it’s not the transfer case but rather the transmission mount. I was also told (1) there’s a service bulletin about the problem, and (2) the repair doesn’t entirely eliminate the vibration but significantly reduces it.

Has anyone with this issue heard anything similar? I’ll be bringing my car in for the repair in a couple of weeks, and will report back after it’s done.
There were several posts discussing this vibration/transmission-mount issue/fix some time ago..
chassis (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 08:37 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
There were several posts discussing this vibration/transmission-mount issue/fix some time ago..
Yes, that’s true. But as I recall, the people reporting it also said the transmission mount replacement didn’t work or stopped working. Then, others reported it was the transfer case. But no one, to my knowledge, reported that Porsche N.A. acknowledged the problem or agreed to cover the repair under warranty. I myself some months ago had Porsche N,A., through another dealer, refuse to repair the car. What’s different this time is the news, if it’s true (I won’t believe what I was told until I see it), that Porsche acknowledges the problem and is covering it.
chassis (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 09:09 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
Yes, that’s true. But as I recall, the people reporting it also said the transmission mount replacement didn’t work or stopped working. Then, others reported it was the transfer case. But no one, to my knowledge, reported that Porsche N.A. acknowledged the problem or agreed to cover the repair under warranty. I myself some months ago had Porsche N,A., through another dealer, refuse to repair the car. What’s different this time is the news, if it’s true (I won’t believe what I was told until I see it), that Porsche acknowledges the problem and is covering it.
You are correct..
Old 08-08-2024, 11:08 AM
skidpalace
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow. Very disappointing that PCNA has swept this under the rug. Can anyone get their hands on a copy of that bulletin?
Old 08-08-2024, 11:18 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skidpalace
Wow. Very disappointing that PCNA has swept this under the rug. Can anyone get their hands on a copy of that bulletin?
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about PCNA's actions, inactions, or intentions. As I said in my post, I was told by an SA that such a bulletin existed and that Porsche was allowing the dealership to implement repairs under warranty. But, as I also said, "I won’t believe what I was told until I see it." I hope what I was told is true, but TBD. I did a quick search on the NHTSA site for a manufacturer communication relating to this issue, but found nothing relevant.
Old 08-28-2024, 07:04 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Default 6th gear vibration update - good news!

Originally Posted by LSR

This is the promised ”report back” regarding my 6th gear vibration odyssey. My car went into the shop yesterday and I just picked it up. I am tentatively happy to say that it seems the car is fixed. I say “tentatively” because I haven’t had a real chance to critically test it. But on the high speed, interstate drive home I didn’t feel the vibrations that used to affect the car. Later this evening or tomorrow I’ll drive it some more under more controlled conditions.

As for what the dealer did to the car, I don’t know yet. The invoice wasn’t ready, so I’ll get it tomorrow and report back.

Last edited by LSR; 08-28-2024 at 09:07 PM.
chassis (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 10:48 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Good news @LSR . Looking forward to seeing the service invoice.
Old 08-29-2024, 05:05 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Default 6th gear vibration solved - it was the transmission mount

Originally Posted by LSR
This is the promised ”report back” regarding my 6th gear vibration odyssey. My car went into the shop yesterday and I just picked it up. I am tentatively happy to say that it seems the car is fixed. I say “tentatively” because I haven’t had a real chance to critically test it. But on the high speed, interstate drive home I didn’t feel the vibrations that used to affect the car. Later this evening or tomorrow I’ll drive it some more under more controlled conditions.

As for what the dealer did to the car, I don’t know yet. The invoice wasn’t ready, so I’ll get it tomorrow and report back.
This is a further update to my above posts. I've now driven my '22 base Cayenne over 100 miles since picking it up from the shop. This is a different car from the one I've driven for the past 20k miles ... the vibrations in 6th (and to a lesser extent in the other gears) are gone. So, what was the cause? Forum members have hypothesized about the cause, some saying the transfer case and others the transmission mount. The answer, at least in my case, was the transmission mount. Here is what my repair invoice says. Kudos to the tech for (a) recognizing that the car was not driving "normally" or "as designed," and (b) his tenacity in testing the car, finding the cause, and solving the problem. I'm going to give the tech (whoever he is) and my SA a big "thumbs up" when I complete the soon-to-arrive Porsche satisfaction survey. Here's the invoice explanation:

For those of you whose car suffers from excessive driveline vibrations, especially in 6th gear, I sincerely hope the above repair explanation helps you to resolve the issue in your car. Of course, each car is different and whatever caused my 6th gear vibration might not be the fault in another car. But even if the transfer case is at fault in some circumstances, at least now we know the transmission mount can be the culprit.
The following 3 users liked this post by LSR:
Greyphantom (08-29-2024), Ironman88 (08-29-2024), Schnave (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 06:02 PM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks @LSR for your response and glad to hear it’s resolved and I can certainly imagine the feeling.

Does anyone know if the same transmission mount is used across all models including the v8s and if the new part (number) has been superseded by the old one, which may suggest possible improvements?

Last edited by Greyphantom; 08-29-2024 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 06:13 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greyphantom
... Does anyone know if the same transmission mount is used across all models including the v8s ?
The answer appears to be "yes" - the part number for the transmission mount replaced on my car appears to be used on all 9Y0 models from 2019-2023. This is what a Porsche dealer's parts site says for the mount identified by my invoice - if a Cayenne model is missing from this list, I'm sure someone will spot it but I don't:

The following 2 users liked this post by LSR:
Greyphantom (08-29-2024), Ironman88 (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 06:58 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,386 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
This is a further update to my above posts. I've now driven my '22 base Cayenne over 100 miles since picking it up from the shop. This is a different car from the one I've driven for the past 20k miles ... the vibrations in 6th (and to a lesser extent in the other gears) are gone. So, what was the cause? Forum members have hypothesized about the cause, some saying the transfer case and others the transmission mount. The answer, at least in my case, was the transmission mount. Here is what my repair invoice says. Kudos to the tech for (a) recognizing that the car was not driving "normally" or "as designed," and (b) his tenacity in testing the car, finding the cause, and solving the problem. I'm going to give the tech (whoever he is) and my SA a big "thumbs up" when I complete the soon-to-arrive Porsche satisfaction survey. Here's the invoice explanation:

For those of you whose car suffers from excessive driveline vibrations, especially in 6th gear, I sincerely hope the above repair explanation helps you to resolve the issue in your car. Of course, each car is different and whatever caused my 6th gear vibration might not be the fault in another car. But even if the transfer case is at fault in some circumstances, at least now we know the transmission mount can be the culprit.
The technicians involved in sorting this problem out for you did an outstanding job. I would try to do something for them in addition to the positive write-up in a survey.

LSR (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 07:11 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Thanks @LSR for posting the invoice.

Color me skeptical that the transmission mount is the solution to the root cause.

Fresh rubber anywhere on the car always and without exception makes an improvement.

The root cause of vibration is…vibration. Rubber does not create vibration but rather attenuates it. You have a fresh new attenuator but the source of the vibration has not changed.

The source of the vibration is without question the driveline. Nothing in your driveline, rubber mount excluded, has been changed.

Last edited by chassis; 08-29-2024 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 6th Gear Shudder/Vibration