Sponsored By:

2024 Homelink in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 11:43 AM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 314 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by ambitin
While I certainly want Porsche to fix this problem, I’m going to lose my mind if I find out that Porsche sold me a nearly $130,000 car that they knew needed this fix. Because, if they’re rolling it out already, that means they knew about it before they even manufactured my car. There is no such thing as a quick fix when it comes to changing this kind of feature.

Has anyone else heard that this change is happening?
Realistically they can't suspend production over something like this. You might lose your mind, but they'd lose their company.

What's important is that they listened to customers and corrected their mistake. Don't penalize them for it.
The following users liked this post:
WasabiPeas (02-21-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 05:01 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
Or is there. Would it be possible to install the mirror version with the HomeLink buttons? Would your Cayenne support it without changing wiring harnesses and coding?

It's pretty straightforward to install mirrors with HomeLink buttons on Toyotas that didn't come with them.

The mirror on my 2022 Cayenne was fairly easy to remove and reinstall when I installed a FITCAMX dashcam.
I was referring to Porsche rolling this change into the manufacturing after only shipping the vehicles for a couple of months. The quick timing of the change suggests that Porsche began planning for this far before they shipped the first vehicles because R&D and testing, procurement, etc... usually have a much longer lead time than just a month or two.

They knew they were going to fix this and still shipped the first batch of vehicles with something they knew was bad.

As for retrofitting this onto a 2024 Cayenne: my SA is looking into this, but even if it can be done, I doubt it's an inexpensive fix.

Last edited by ambitin; 02-06-2024 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:05 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 233 Posts

let us know what you learn on the cost of moving to a button mirror. this is one of those cases where knowing a rep. would be amazing. they are the ones that can comp a part to a customer etc. as far as I know. Ask your dealer to talk to their rep.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:57 PM
retom
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
let us know what you learn on the cost of moving to a button mirror. this is one of those cases where knowing a rep. would be amazing. they are the ones that can comp a part to a customer etc. as far as I know. Ask your dealer to talk to their rep.
What is interesting is the fact that I cannot find a mirror with HomeLink buttons anywhere in the various Cayenne spare parts catalogues. There is only 1 type of rear view mirror without any buttons.
My Cayenne is scheduled for delivery at the end of February. Production in mid-January 2024. I ordered HomeLink, so I wonder what solution it will come with.
ThomasWShea (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 08:23 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
What is interesting is the fact that I cannot find a mirror with HomeLink buttons anywhere in the various Cayenne spare parts catalogues. There is only 1 type of rear view mirror without any buttons.
My Cayenne is scheduled for delivery at the end of February. Production in mid-January 2024. I ordered HomeLink, so I wonder what solution it will come with.
maybe it is like the red button drove mode selector switch…one part number, but two separate parts?
retom (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 08:26 PM
retom
Racer

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
maybe it is like the red button drove mode selector switch…one part number, but two separate parts?
No, I don't think so. In case of mode selector it is just the colour of the button. In case of the mirror this is completely different system. Sooner or later we will solve also this mistery
PS. I have noticed that drive mode selector has different last 3 letters. Red has 1R0 when black has 6N3.

Last edited by retom; 02-06-2024 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:12 PM
jtorrebl
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I would like to know if we can buy the button mirror. Will follow this thread. The home link recall would work better if it loaded up quicker upon turning on your car and exiting your garage quickly. The boot up process lags and doesn’t homelink doesn’t pop up quick enough.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:22 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtorrebl
I would like to know if we can buy the button mirror. Will follow this thread. The home link recall would work better if it loaded up quicker upon turning on your car and exiting your garage quickly. The boot up process lags and doesn’t homelink doesn’t pop up quick enough.
I totally agree that if the software would be improved, the virtual buttons would be livable (though never close to as good as "real" buttons):

1) buttons should work when in reverse or any time surround view is up
2) buttons should appear any time I'm about a block from my house, not when I'm practically sitting at the garage door
3) buttons should be twice as big on screen so I can hit them without having to take my eyes off of the road or my surroundings (we have a huge screen: use it)

After 6 months of ownership, I kind of can't believe #1 hasn't been fixed and rolled out.

#1 and #3 are safety issues. Right now I can't close my garage door after I pull into the garage until I put my car in Park and then count to 3. If someone wanted to sneak in with me, they'd have plenty of time. And having to focus on the screen while driving in front of my house to find the button is quite unsafe compared to physical buttons that I can press without even looking.

And yes, if Porsche is not going to fix the software, at least give us a free fix.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:58 AM
E'TLS
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I have resorted to use the old fashion clicker that comes with the garage door opener. We can't fight Porsche Corp.

Since Porsche has implemented the production running change of putting mirrors with HomeLink buttons back in 2024 Cayennes, it is guaranteed that Porsche will leave the handful of us with early production models, hanging out to dry.

Fahrfun (02-21-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 11:08 AM
ambitin
Instructor

I was put into a 2024 loaner yesterday and sure enough it has dedicated homelink buttons on the mirror. On a happier note, my service advisor told me that he believes an upcoming OTA (no trip to dealership) update to our Cayenne software will make homelink work in reverse for those unfortunate few stuck with this inferior software-only implementation. If that happens I think I'll quit griping.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:09 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus22
Assign the diamond button to homelink. That’s what I did with my turbo s.
Yes same fix I did for my Taycan and my 992. Works well enuff.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:12 PM
Woofman
Pro

Received 482 Likes on 294 Posts

Those who have a 2024 Cayenne without physical HomeLink buttons and who also have MyQ compatible garage door openers might be interested in a recent thread on the 992 forum in which a member describes how use the iPhone's voice control feature (Hey Siri) to open and close garage doors: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1405...or-opener.html

Using this technique might be especially useful when backing from a garage while relying on the backup camera. This method requires that the MyQ app be installed on the phone.

Android phones (Hey Google) have a similar capability. Select "Settings ... Accessibility ... Interaction and dexterity ... Voice Access". I did not test this.

Last edited by Woofman; 04-04-2024 at 12:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-04-2024, 01:46 PM
luvawatch
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Can anyone w/ a 2024 992 confirm whether there are buttons under the rear view mirror? I had this problem in my 2020 992 and it really bugged me!
Old 04-04-2024, 08:26 PM
retom
Racer

My car was manufactured in January 2024. The HomeLink buttons are located in the rearview mirror. This is not a very ergonomic and intuitive solution. It would be better if they were placed in the headliner lighting panel.
I don't know also why Porsche didn't finally improve their first option in MY2024 with virtual buttons on the PCM. They could have adopted this solution from Audi, where the HomeLink icon is constantly displayed on the MMI and, additionally, thanks to GPS location, all buttons appear automatically when you approach the gate.
wets1162 (05-16-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 09:47 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Mrs. Lizard’s GLE450 and my Merc have three separated HomeLink buttons on the bottom of their mirrors. I can tell them apart by feel and they’re in my line of sight.
My 911 has them on the headliner. You have to look up at them to know which garage door you’re opening. The mirror mount is superior in my opinion.

Quick Reply: 2024 Homelink in reverse