Sponsored By:

Porsche Export Hold

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 03:13 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Just got off the phone with my SA. Note to them this AM are cars can be shipped, no production delays, admin hold for updated part required for release was what they were told. ETA as said part(s) arrive in US and are swapped out likely at Port as part of clearance to release process to respective dealers. No word on what part is from him but If backlogged that explains some of it possibly. Fingers crossed 🤞 also for all!
if this is true that it is something to do with the cars, not administrative at all…right?
Old 02-02-2024, 03:37 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
if this is true that it is something to do with the cars, not administrative at all…right?
without knowing the part then we don’t know but if it affects ALL of VW exports then it is not just our cars…Cayenne’s only and could be something as simple as a universal part like a gas cap or even door jam sticker or the Mulroney Sticker which are printed at the port but must be 100% correct or cars cannot be released from port so it is hard to say without knowing but across the board suggests a more general fix as we’re talking a bunch of different cars across a whole lot of cars that encompass VW Group. Unlike a Cayenne design specific issue as before I think with the software problem previously one would think.
Old 02-02-2024, 04:13 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
without knowing the part then we don’t know but if it affects ALL of VW exports then it is not just our cars…Cayenne’s only and could be something as simple as a universal part like a gas cap or even door jam sticker or the Mulroney Sticker which are printed at the port but must be 100% correct or cars cannot be released from port so it is hard to say without knowing but across the board suggests a more general fix as we’re talking a bunch of different cars across a whole lot of cars that encompass VW Group. Unlike a Cayenne design specific issue as before I think with the software problem previously one would think.
i get your point. my point is someone was told it was administrative and nothing to do with the cars. imo, if they have to install a different gas cap, that is simple, yes, but still not administrative too me. that is a physical part for the car. so the term administrative hold doesn’t mean what I would think it means, in this case.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 02-02-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:40 PM
ricktu
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I received a little more information - the hold is due to a part that needs to be replaced. Here's the wording I received: "At issue is a small electronic component that is a part of a larger control unit, which will be replaced." Also, Porsche is going to update projected delivery dates. My projected delivery date was 2/8/2024, it's been pessimistically updated to 4/12/2024. So, they're buffering delivery by 2 months to resolve this issue. I'm told that the new projected date is being applied for ALL vehicles affected by the hold, so not necessarily accounting for where it is in the process already, etc. I'm hoping against hope that they can ship parts and update my Cayenne sooner than that.

Lastly - it looks like it's not all VW Group vehicles as I previously relayed. Even within Porsche not all models are affected - for instance Macan deliveries are not being held.
The following 2 users liked this post by ricktu:
donsladek (02-02-2024), mdrobc1213 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 06:42 PM
ricktu
Track Day

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
i get your point. my point is someone was told it was administrative and nothing to do with the cars. imo, if they have to install a different gas cap, that is simple, yes, but still not administrative too me. that is a physical part for the car. so the term administrative hold doesn’t mean what I would think it means, in this case.
I was the one who relayed that it was an administrative hold as that was what was told to me by my SA. Agree, that doesn't appear to be the right characterization now. It's a part that needs to be replaced.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 10:12 PM
jayshi827
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ricktu
I received a little more information - the hold is due to a part that needs to be replaced. Here's the wording I received: "At issue is a small electronic component that is a part of a larger control unit, which will be replaced." Also, Porsche is going to update projected delivery dates. My projected delivery date was 2/8/2024, it's been pessimistically updated to 4/12/2024. So, they're buffering delivery by 2 months to resolve this issue. I'm told that the new projected date is being applied for ALL vehicles affected by the hold, so not necessarily accounting for where it is in the process already, etc. I'm hoping against hope that they can ship parts and update my Cayenne sooner than that.

Lastly - it looks like it's not all VW Group vehicles as I previously relayed. Even within Porsche not all models are affected - for instance Macan deliveries are not being held.
Thank you for sharing that info. I wonder if that means some of the current Cayenne needs to be recalled??
The following 2 users liked this post by jayshi827:
donsladek (02-02-2024), ThomasWShea (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 11:53 PM
ricktu
Track Day

Originally Posted by jayshi827
Thank you for sharing that info. I wonder if that means some of the current Cayenne needs to be recalled??
I actually asked about this as well - and no recall as of yet. Don’t know if one will come or not.
Old 02-03-2024, 01:37 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by ricktu

thanks...that kinda jives in part with what I hear this AM. Something needs to be swapped out...now sounds like a part maybe a plug to or harness that wasn't made up to standards they found...across multiple vehicles. Great they found it...bad in terms of quality control and delays.. Guess global supply chain issues continue all around. In any event they will fix and I'll get my car when it arrives....early June or later as long as it is done correctly and this is not an ongoing thing with Porsche and the car...am okay with giving them some slack for now. Now their version/definition of admin needs updating for sure and my advice is to tighten up quality and increase transparancy as this gonna cost them more $$ am sure down the line with customer to keep orders and future ones. My 2 cents...

BTW. This is from the Taycan forum from an owner who got his car held also. This is what he/she posted they got today from Porsche..

"2/1/2024 UPDATE: We recently informed you of a delay in delivering certain Porsche vehicles from ports due to a customs issue. We have been working diligently to address this, but it has now become apparent that this process will take some time to resolve, and we are consequently updating the delivery dates on certain cars currently either at ports, or due to arrive shortly. This delay does not affect either the 718 or Macan, deliveries of which continue as normal.

At issue is a small electronic component that is a part of a larger control unit, which will be replaced. Arrangements for replacement parts are being made to begin this work as soon as possible. We are working as a priority to resolve this issue and to provide you and our customers with more regular updates. In the meantime - and out of caution - we are revising the estimated delivery dates to reflect the likely delay more accurately. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work together to support our customers."

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 02-03-2024 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2024, 11:32 AM
retom
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 229 Posts

This is starting to really worry me. Yes, I know, all manufacturers have bigger or smaller problems with incorrectly manufactured cars. However, as a long-time participant of several car forums, I notice that the number of holds in handing over new cars to Porsche customers is starting to be astonishing. First, problems with the high voltage wiring harnesses in hybrids, then a multi-month problem with the hybrid software, and now this. And all these within only 1 year.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:19 AM
lvlvdou
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like both the Taycan and the Cayenne are having the same electronic component swapped. Is this true or are we confusing one’s issue with the other’s? (Btw my Cayenne has been held at Davisville port since 1/22 and I’m also waiting for whatever issue to be resolved.)

Last edited by lvlvdou; 02-04-2024 at 01:28 AM.
mdrobc1213 (02-04-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 03:04 AM
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by lvlvdou
It sounds like both the Taycan and the Cayenne are having the same electronic component swapped. Is this true or are we confusing one’s issue with the other’s? (Btw my Cayenne has been held at Davisville port since 1/22 and I’m also waiting for whatever issue to be resolved.)
Every car except 718 and Macan is having the same issue. My GT3 RS is stuck as well.
mdrobc1213 (02-04-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 06:45 AM
Defratos
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You know hearing all of this brings me back to my dealer when I tried placing an order back in November 2023. This was for a Cayenne Turbo E-Hybrid and he informed me because of the E-hybrid model it has still not received clearance to be imported into KSA.

All other non-hybrid Cayennes were ok to order and import but not the E-hybrid models. When I asked for an estimated time on when it might be cleared for import he mentioned February 2024.

Seeing all the above I now have no idea if this was part of his initial guestimate or if this is just an additional problem on the already mountain of problems Porsche has managed to pile up on their 24 models.

Honestly I find myself looking at BMW X5's X6's and Audi RSQ8's as an alternative because with all the chaos Porsche has managed to create I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel
Old 02-04-2024, 09:16 AM
jayshi827
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
You know hearing all of this brings me back to my dealer when I tried placing an order back in November 2023. This was for a Cayenne Turbo E-Hybrid and he informed me because of the E-hybrid model it has still not received clearance to be imported into KSA.

All other non-hybrid Cayennes were ok to order and import but not the E-hybrid models. When I asked for an estimated time on when it might be cleared for import he mentioned February 2024.

Seeing all the above I now have no idea if this was part of his initial guestimate or if this is just an additional problem on the already mountain of problems Porsche has managed to pile up on their 24 models.

Honestly I find myself looking at BMW X5's X6's and Audi RSQ8's as an alternative because with all the chaos Porsche has managed to create I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel
I am in the same boat. Do you think the dealer allows customers to cancel order and take deposit back?
Old 02-04-2024, 09:18 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Defratos

Go read about the Audi BSG issues on audiworld, the RSQ8 is included in that.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
donsladek
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From a general forum posting today:

Originally Posted by acd683
I have heard from a reliable source that a major headache is about to come down.
apparently all models (except Macan and 718) are being held at the port and denied entry to US. They have a part, a chip, that is made in Belarus and is currently sanctioned and not eligible for import.
Apparently dealers are being told to buy cars ASAP so they have stock.
has anyone heard similar?
jhillard (02-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche Export Hold