Sponsored By:

Where are the lift points?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 12:13 PM
911car
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Where are the lift points?!

To change all 4 wheels, the cayenne should be on jack stands. But there is only 1 lift point at each corner, which means you can lift it, but there’s no where to put a jack stand.

Where should the lift go??

I called the dealer and they said the suspension bolts, pictured below. The front bolts aren’t flat and the rear bolts are tucked into the frame and hard to access. The rest of the underbody is all covered in protective material. This is nuts. No pun intended.

Old 03-12-2022, 01:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

I jack the front up from the plastic inserts where the factory jack goes and place the jackstand under the front subframe bolt location as pictured.

I jack the rear from the support brace under the diff and put stands on the factory jack locations
The following 3 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
mkposche (05-05-2024), niedae (05-30-2022), Tedster (10-19-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 02:04 PM
Fuddy77
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great question. I too am planning to use jack stands and it’s hand to believe there is no other info on this topic. I wouldn’t be comfortable going with what the dealer suggested. I notice there are 4 round flat plastic caps, on all 4 corners. It seems like there is stiff metal behind them. Could these be the lift points? I could see using flat top jack stands under them.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 04:42 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,115 Posts

The plastic pieces are the lift points.

Dealers use a lift, which functions for them as a jack stand.

To change all four tires with no automotive service lift, four jacks and could be employed.

Rennstands could be used:
https://rennstand.com/product/audi-r8-tt-jack-pad/
https://rennstand.com/

Last edited by chassis; 10-08-2023 at 04:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
CayenneFrank (10-16-2023), Greyphantom (01-04-2024)
Old 10-08-2023, 08:01 PM
Fuddy77
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The rectangle plastic mounts, as shown in the first picture of this thread, wasn’t what I was referring to. Here is what I’m trying to solve for. I’m trying to bring both front wheels off the floor, having the front of the vehicle on jack stands. Where would I place 2 jack stands and how is it done using one floor jack? The problem is how does the floor jack and jack stand share the singular jacking point under the vehicle? No where online is this shared.
chassis (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 09:20 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fuddy77
The rectangle plastic mounts, as shown in the first picture of this thread, wasn’t what I was referring to. Here is what I’m trying to solve for. I’m trying to bring both front wheels off the floor, having the front of the vehicle on jack stands. Where would I place 2 jack stands and how is it done using one floor jack? The problem is how does the floor jack and jack stand share the singular jacking point under the vehicle? No where online is this shared.
Two jacks, each fitted with a plastic jackpad adapter and engaged into the plastic vehicle-side lifting receivers, will do what you wrote. This is how I rotate staggered tires side-to-side.

Rennstands will do what you wrote.

What is the specific task you are seeking to accomplish?

Last edited by chassis; 10-08-2023 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:00 AM
wageslave
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I think what fuddy is asking is if there is a central-front jacking point, which you would use to raise the car, and then you lower it onto jack stands at the “jacking points”, which is the traditional way of raising the car for an at home oil change or whatever.

yes, rennstands will accomplish this, but many people already have the floor jack and jack stand combo in their garage.

Old 10-09-2023, 07:07 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wageslave
I think what fuddy is asking is if there is a central-front jacking point, which you would use to raise the car, and then you lower it onto jack stands at the “jacking points”, which is the traditional way of raising the car for an at home oil change or whatever.

yes, rennstands will accomplish this, but many people already have the floor jack and jack stand combo in their garage.
There is no factory documented central lift point in the same way MB and BMW provide.
Old 10-09-2023, 09:53 AM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

The easy solution is to simply do one wheel at a time. Set Jack mode to eliminate the theft warning. Then Jack up one wheel (and if you want) set a Jack stand for safety. I have a good reliable Jack and don’t bother with the Jack stand. The slight increased time doing them individually will take less time that it takes to mess with 4 Jack stands and the stands will be less stable, less safe, since there is no great contact point. I complete the last torque setting after all four wheels are done. In spring it’s not a bad idea to deal with the rust on the hubs.
Old 10-12-2023, 05:40 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 574 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.s
The easy solution is to simply do one wheel at a time. Set Jack mode to eliminate the theft warning. Then Jack up one wheel (and if you want) set a Jack stand for safety. I have a good reliable Jack and don’t bother with the Jack stand. The slight increased time doing them individually will take less time that it takes to mess with 4 Jack stands and the stands will be less stable, less safe, since there is no great contact point. I complete the last torque setting after all four wheels are done. In spring it’s not a bad idea to deal with the rust on the hubs.
Ron, my only recommendation is to never trust a Jack only not matter how reliable you think it is. Hydraulic seals fail and they fail abruptly. Even if I had $2k Snap-On floor Jack, I would never get a body part under a vehicle without jackstands.
The following 4 users liked this post by 95_993:
Greyphantom (01-04-2024), mc-pgts (10-12-2023), ry.k (11-15-2023), Tedster (10-19-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 10:58 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95_993
...never trust a Jack only not matter how reliable you think it is. Hydraulic seals fail and they fail abruptly. Even if I had $2k Snap-On floor Jack, I would never get a body part under a vehicle without jackstands.
Mostly agree. Rotating tires and doing brake work does not require putting oneself in harm's way from a jacking/lifting point of view. I have no concerns about doing these jobs when the vehicle is on jacks.

I would not get under the center of the car with a car on jacks.
Tedster (11-15-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 12:42 AM
95_993
Race Car

I am sure those with ninja reflexes can get their hands, fingers and any other appendages out from getting pinched/crushed between the wheel and hub, rotor and ground or any other potential injuries that can occur even while not underneath a car. I don't have ninja reflexes and like my appendages so I slide a Jack stand under. .... Just me. You do you.

I was really commenting about the belief that Jack stands are not required because someone has a good quality floor. Good quality floor jacks fail.

Last edited by 95_993; 10-13-2023 at 08:51 AM.
CayenneFrank (10-16-2023), chassis (10-13-2023), dalves11 (10-13-2023), Tedster (10-19-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 09:08 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

I am sure those with ninja reflexes can get their hands, fingers and any other appendages out from getting pinched/crushed between the wheel and hub, rotor and ground or any other potential injuries that can occur even while not underneath a car. I don't have ninja reflexes and like my appendages so I slide a Jack stand under. .... Just me. You do you.

I was really commenting about the belief that Jack stands are not required because someone has a good quality floor. Good quality floor jacks fail.
Agreed.
CayenneFrank (10-16-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 04:40 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

My floor jack failed last Spring with a whoosh while I was doing the winter-to-summer wheel switchover on the Cayenne. Fortunately, I had only loosened the lug nuts and had not yet removed the wheel. I don't know what I would have done if the floor jack had failed while a wheel was off. The brake disc would have hit the concrete and I don't know if I would have been able to pull the collapsed floor jack out from under the Cayenne's jack point so I could use a different floor jack to lift it back up. The old floor jack was 40 years old and I had used it countless times. On almost all the other vehicles I've owned, I've used the floor jack to lift at front or rear central lift points and then slipped jack stands under the side lift points in case the floor jack failed. I'll be using a RennStand with my new floor jack when I do the winter wheel switchover on the Cayenne next month.
The following 2 users liked this post by Woofman:
CayenneFrank (10-16-2023), chassis (10-13-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 06:26 PM
95_993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Woofman
My floor jack failed last Spring with a whoosh while I was doing the winter-to-summer wheel switchover on the Cayenne. Fortunately, I had only loosened the lug nuts and had not yet removed the wheel. I don't know what I would have done if the floor jack had failed while a wheel was off. The brake disc would have hit the concrete and I don't know if I would have been able to pull the collapsed floor jack out from under the Cayenne's jack point so I could use a different floor jack to lift it back up. The old floor jack was 40 years old and I had used it countless times. On almost all the other vehicles I've owned, I've used the floor jack to lift at front or rear central lift points and then slipped jack stands under the side lift points in case the floor jack failed. I'll be using a RennStand with my new floor jack when I do the winter wheel switchover on the Cayenne next month.
Glad you shared your firsthand experience, it was exactly what I have seen happen to others.. Happens super quick when you're just doing something simple. Glad nothing worse happened. Even putting a Jack stand with no weight as a "backup" under a solid body/subframe mount is better than nothing
CayenneFrank (10-16-2023), chassis (10-13-2023), Greyphantom (01-04-2024), Tedster (10-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Where are the lift points?!