Sponsored By:

Where are the lift points?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 09:47 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Glad you shared your firsthand experience, it was exactly what I have seen happen to others.. Happens super quick when you're just doing something simple. Glad nothing worse happened. Even putting a Jack stand with no weight as a "backup" under a solid body/subframe mount is better than nothing
I didn't mean to imply that the vehicle wasn't resting on the jack stands. One should always lower a vehicle so that it is resting on the jack stands although it's OK to let the floor jack share some of the load.
Old 10-16-2023, 03:15 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

I thought it time to order a Rennstand and Cayenne adaptor for it since I'll be switching to its winter wheels in four weeks. I bought only one for now since I don't need to elevate the entire front or back .... it's just for safety while lifting one corner with my floor jack. If others are interested in getting one or more, a discount code that currently works for getting 10% off is: FALLSAVINGS

The discount code brings the price for one Rennstand and Cayenne adaptor down to $202.48 not including shipping by UPS which to me in Kansas was an additional $20.25.
Old 10-16-2023, 03:54 PM
911car
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I am OP here and looks like I never updated on my solution.

I got the rennstand jack stand as Woofman suggests above. It’s a really great device.

I also ordered a couple extra wheel guide bolts to keep the brake disc safe when removing wheels. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99957107430.html?

Other helpful things for changing wheels:
Lastly, always remember to put the security lug adapter back in the trunk in case you need it in an emergency!

Last edited by 911car; 10-17-2023 at 10:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911car:
Oldboy52 (10-16-2023), Woofman (11-15-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 04:28 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911car
Lastly, always remember to put the security lug adapter back in the trunk in case you need it in an emergency!
LOL, and remember to remove the security adapter from a lug nut before driving away! Duh! My wife came out of the house and told me that I needed to pick up a prescription for a pain killer "right now!" so I jumped in the Cayenne and drove to the pharmacy. It wasn't until I got back home and continued the winter-to-summer wheel switchover that I realized what I had done. I was amazed that I found the security adapter in the middle of an intersection a few blocks away. The sunlight reflected off the now beat-up security adapter just right.

I immediately ordered a backup security adapter at the local Porsche dealership but it's still on backorder and might never arrive. I searched online for an OEM security adapter of the correct type code and all the suppliers were out of them. I ended up buying a "TEMO Anti-Theft Wheel Lug Nut Removal Socket Key for Porsche" of the correct type code on Amazon for $10.99. I'm now carrying both the original, now beat-up, security adapter and the TEMO adapter in the tray over the spare wheel. There was an empty slot in the tray that the TEMO adapter fits in perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 07:03 PM
dragan
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

This is how I did it today

The following 3 users liked this post by dragan:
chassis (11-11-2023), DC1960 (07-24-2024), Tedster (11-15-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 08:59 PM
CayenneFrank
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
My floor jack failed last Spring with a whoosh while I was doing the winter-to-summer wheel switchover on the Cayenne. Fortunately, I had only loosened the lug nuts and had not yet removed the wheel. I don't know what I would have done if the floor jack had failed while a wheel was off. The brake disc would have hit the concrete and I don't know if I would have been able to pull the collapsed floor jack out from under the Cayenne's jack point so I could use a different floor jack to lift it back up. The old floor jack was 40 years old and I had used it countless times. On almost all the other vehicles I've owned, I've used the floor jack to lift at front or rear central lift points and then slipped jack stands under the side lift points in case the floor jack failed. I'll be using a RennStand with my new floor jack when I do the winter wheel switchover on the Cayenne next month.
Glad you still had the wheel on. I’m looking into the RennStand.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:33 AM
lucian95
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding cars with active suspension, is jack activation mode in car chassis settings still required when using conventional service lift (one SA told me this is not needed).
chassis (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 09:09 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by lucian95
Regarding cars with active suspension, is jack activation mode in car chassis settings still required when using conventional service lift (one SA told me this is not needed).
What is a "conventional" service lift?

If the wheels are not supported, vehicles with air suspension should be placed in jack mode in the PCM.
CayenneFrank (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 09:22 AM
lucian95
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

With conventional I meant a full service lift

Old 11-14-2023, 06:50 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

It's a pain to lift and support the vehicle given the lift points are great, but the support points are terrible.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:23 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 911car
To change all 4 wheels, the cayenne should be on jack stands. But there is only 1 lift point at each corner, which means you can lift it, but there’s no where to put a jack stand.

Where should the lift go??

I called the dealer and they said the suspension bolts, pictured below. The front bolts aren’t flat and the rear bolts are tucked into the frame and hard to access. The rest of the underbody is all covered in protective material. This is nuts. No pun intended.

I just got this wide based lift jack that has a lock bar, which locks the jack and prevents any accidents.

Works great, I just used it to change my front brakes about a week ago.

No need to use another jack stand..

Old 05-05-2024, 12:47 PM
mkposche
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I jack the front up from the plastic inserts where the factory jack goes and place the jackstand under the front subframe bolt location as pictured.

I jack the rear from the support brace under the diff and put stands on the factory jack locations
Hello Quadcammer,
thanks for your insight.

So here, trying to figure out how to lift up front side both sides.
From your comment, I assume "front subframe bolt" I can put jack stands is this location in picture?

I will be putting some jack stand with rubber round end to do the job.

I was able to lift up the car with floor jack at the factory jack point and trying to put jack stand at your suggested point to survive thruout the job.

Anyone else had experience please confirm as well! thanks all!

Old 05-05-2024, 01:59 PM
retom
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 293 Posts

If you are using hydraulic jack and factory lift points I would recommend you jack pads adapters: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1693532...18a529082e40cb

Cayenne and Audi Q7/Q8 has the same jack points.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:39 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Ron, my only recommendation is to never trust a Jack only not matter how reliable you think it is. Hydraulic seals fail and they fail abruptly. Even if I had $2k Snap-On floor Jack, I would never get a body part under a vehicle without jackstands.
I have been using this low profile Powerbuilt 3000 pound lift garage jack with a locking safety bars, and I got rid of my jacks because it works great.

I got it from Amazon some time ago and used it when I changed my brakes on my Cayenne S.

Old 07-24-2024, 07:08 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mkposche
Hello Quadcammer,
thanks for your insight.
So here, trying to figure out how to lift up front side both sides.
From your comment, I assume "front subframe bolt" I can put jack stands is this location in picture?
I will be putting some jack stand with rubber round end to do the job.
I was able to lift up the car with floor jack at the factory jack point and trying to put jack stand at your suggested point to survive thruout the job.
Anyone else had experience please confirm as well! thanks all!
I jacked the front the other day to work on brakes.
I placed a jack stand under "A" with a hockey puck although the curve on my jack stand seemed to fit nicely.
Other posts have suggested to place the jack stand at "B". This looks like it would work but you would want to use a hockey puck because it's jagged.
I also placed a jack stand at the rear jack point.
I lowered the jack to relieve some pressure and the goal was to evenly distribute the weight between the front jack stand, the hydraulic jack and the rear jack stand.
The "yellow" arrow doesn't seem beefy enough to me.

On a 911, the rear jack point can keep the entire side of a car lifted. Not sure on a Cayenne as I use a low profile lightweight jack that can barely lift a Cayenne high enough that I use two hockey pucks on the lift.

Last edited by 3Series; 07-24-2024 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Where are the lift points?!