Sponsored By:

Hybrid Coolant too low

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 07:43 AM
agaladari
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hybrid Coolant too low

First time I get this message on my Cayenne e-Hybrid 2019.
"Hybrid Coolant too low" and some more messages to stop the car to cool down.
I was wondering, where to find the "Hybrid Coolant" reservoir and is it the same coolant as engine coolant?
The Engine coolant level seems perfect and did not show any sign of overheat or being low.
Any ideas on what is the issue? I already scheduled a maintenance at the dealer, but strange that I couldn't find anything on the net that is mentioning "Hybrid Coolant Low" messages.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:02 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Your e-Hybrid has a completely separate cooling system exclusively for the battery pack and the power module. It consists of a reservoir, radiator, electric pump, and plumbing. The system also incorporates an electric heater to warm the battery coolant in cold weather.

The reservoir is located on the left side of the vehicle in the engine compartment, opposite the engine coolant reservoir.

See attached picture of the reservoir cap. Note the cap label has a hybrid battery depiction in the center.

Last edited by Schnave; 02-26-2022 at 11:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (02-23-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 11:23 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Here’s a couple pictures showing the location of the battery coolant reservoir in the e-Hybrid (top) and Turbo SE (bottom)

Last edited by Schnave; 02-26-2022 at 11:41 PM.
daveo4porsche (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 03:44 PM
agaladari
Track Day

Thanks for the information.. This is clear now. actually the car is at the service/dealer and they will take care of the issue.
I was just wondering, is the coolant liquid used same as the one we usually use for engine coolant?
Old 02-27-2022, 04:51 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by agaladari
I was just wondering, is the coolant liquid used same as the one we usually use for engine coolant?
EDIT: Rennlister juliantrost confirmed that the battery coolant is the same glycol-based coolant as is used for the engine coolant. See post #6 here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-e-hybrid.html

The Taycan also uses glycol based coolant with reservoirs, radiators, and electric pumps.

Side note — It also uses a refrigerant-based chiller to further aid cooling in high ambient temperatures. The HV electric compressor pipes refrigerant to the evaporator normally used to cool cabin air. A portion of the cold refrigerant runs from the evaporator to a heat exchanger, where it cools the warm glycol coolant. That’s some cool technology!

The screen grab below shows the same coolant used for ICE as well as the Taycan. While I can’t find a reference specifically for PHEV battery coolant, this may be the same as used in your e-Hybrid.

That would be a great question to ask your dealer and post back to this thread. 👍🏼

Last edited by Schnave; 03-15-2022 at 12:08 AM.
daveo4porsche (02-27-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 12:55 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

@agaladari Any update? There’s another Rennlister with the same problem who is wondering what type of coolant to use.

Last edited by Schnave; 03-06-2022 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:52 PM
agaladari
Track Day

Originally Posted by Schnave
@agaladari Any update? There’s another Rennlister with the same problem who is wondering what type of coolant to use.

Finally, I got my car back after 35 days at the dealer. Seems they needed spares and had to fly it from Germany. Anyway, seems there was a leak and since Hybrid is system is not very common here, the manufacture recommended to take the engine and the gear box out in order to fix the leaks. Lucky all were covered by warranty and I didnt have to pay anything other than being without my car for 35 days.
Now a new problem started which could be related to how missing some sensors. Seems I am not able to able to shif into "P" anymore. Or sometimes I have to struggle by shifting from P to D to R and then it works. The warning specifically says that the car may roll if not in P. I have to visit the dealer again.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:22 AM
TheGaraged
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

This issue has just popped up our our 2018 E-Hybrid, it’s at the dealer now, awaiting diagnosis from a ‘high voltage Tech’…doesn’t sound great…

Quick Reply: Hybrid Coolant too low