Sponsored By:

Help with e-hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 11:04 PM
juliantrost
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with e-hybrid

Hello everyone. New to the forum and very new to Porsche ownership. Just picked up a 2019 Porsche Cayenne e-hybrid. On the drive home from the dealership I received a warning (twice) that the Hybrid Coolant level was low. I guess, my first question is: is there a separate coolant for the battery? My second question, or rather 2nd and 3rd, if someone could help: Where do I fill this up? and What is a recommended coolant for the hybrid battery? I also found very odd that the car didn't come with a user manual in it and I tried finding the answers in the on-line versions, but had no luck. Thank you kindly in advance!
Old 03-05-2022, 11:08 PM
juliantrost
3rd Gear

And of course, a rookie mistake of not searching here first. Just found a similar thread and now understand where to top the coolant. The only thing I could still use help with if I can buy a regular coolant that would go into the engine reservoir or is it a separate, special one for the battery? Thanks
Old 03-06-2022, 12:01 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Congratulations on your new e-Hybrid and welcome to Rennlist. You jumped in the deep end of the Porsche pool. The e-Hybrid is the most complex vehicle Porsche has ever designed. Not to worry, this forum has lots of smart folks that can help out.

Check out this thread below. It describes the same issue. The OP ultimately took his e-Hybrid to the dealership to diagnose the low Hybrid Coolant warning. Only issue is the OP hasn’t yet reported back and verified that regular Porsche antifreeze is the same as the e-Hybrid battery coolant. So far, all we have is a web site showing the coolant is compatible with the Taycan. Best to call your dealer to verify compatibility before adding fluid.

And do us a favor please — once you find out the coolant type, please come back and post it to this thread. You’ll be helping out the whole community, particularly the next person who will likely have the same problem some day soon.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...t-too-low.html

Last edited by Schnave; 03-06-2022 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:27 AM
papb
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you get it from Porsche? Was it CPO'd? In either case, I would imagine a Porsche dealer would check the coolant before sending you off. Give them a call, I am sure they will do a quick top off for you. I am curious what coolant it uses; I haven't had issues with my '17 S eHybrid but it's always good to know.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:49 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
And do us a favor please — once you find out the coolant type, please come back and post it to this thread. You’ll be helping out the whole community, particularly the next person who will likely have the same problem some day soon.
@juliantrost Wondering how things worked out. Any word on the coolant type?
Old 03-14-2022, 10:57 PM
juliantrost
3rd Gear

My apologies for not getting back to this sooner. I ended up taking it to the dealership I bought the car from and they just added the coolant. They weren't too keen on disclosing what coolant they used, other than insisting I should come there for all of my service needs

However, there was a guy at the counter who overheard our conversation and he came out with me and told me that since owning his Panamera e-hybrid he had this issue once and used PEAK OT Antifreeze and Coolant for European vehicles. He explained that the difference in it is 1) it is pink in color and 2) it is 50/50 premixed consistency. Unfortunately it is all I can share at this time.

Oh yeah, other than that, this SUV is a dream to drive!
Old 03-15-2022, 12:02 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update, Julian! That confirms it; battery coolant is the same as engine coolant.
Glad you are enjoying your Cayenne. It’s a great vehicle.

Quick Reply: Help with e-hybrid