Help deciding between S and GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 06:51 PM
Laki021
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rj2014
Hello folks,

This is my first post but have been lurking around the forums for a few months now. After months of researching and test driving, we finally decided on the Porsche Cayenne. This will be our first Porsche and we are coming from an Audi SQ5. I optioned the Cayenne S online with the options I want (PDCC, Rear Axle Steering, PTV are a must) but the issue is, a similarly optioned GTS is only $8k extra from my S build. I was able to get quotes from a few dealers with 3-4% off of MSRP for the S so I am guessing the GTS wont be discounted at all in this market. This makes the cost difference more like $12-13k. I plan to keep this car for 7-8 years and maintain it really well so the $12-13k difference is not a big deal in the long run and the GTS will likely depreciate much better than the S. Getting a V8 would be a bonus as well and who doesn't love the V8 sound right?

We test drove the S with PDCC and RAS and loved how it handled. I felt like we were in a sports sedan. Unfortunately, there is no GTS available to test drive where we live. My wife does not like the ride to be too harsh and from all the posts I have seen so far, it seems that the GTS rides pretty harsh. We go on a lot of road trips and will be doing 25k ish miles/year so comfort is a very important factor. But I do tend to drive my car aggressively around corners so handling is important as well. From a value perspective, I feel like I am being crazy to add $35-40k in options to the S when I can just get the GTS. Getting a sports car in addition to the Cayenne is not an option at this point so this has to be my everything car. Is the GTS ride that harsh compared to the S?

I know there have been other posts around this topic but i'd really appreciate if people that were in a similar situation as mine can suggest what to do here.
There’s another possibility, get a GTS without PDCC and RWS. It will cost you almost the same as Cayenne S but you will undoubtedly get a better car (lower and stiffer, better handling).

You should try cars with and without those systems and decide. Many people do not like RWS due to the unnatural feeling of rear end sliding away while cornering. I have it on my current car and tested in on Cayenne GTS, don’t want it. The benefits are minimal, reducing turning radius from 12 to 11.5 meters, that’s hardly even noticeable. Personally I find all those stories about increased maneuverability while parking a total BS, marketing and simply people justifying their decision.
Interesting, BMW does not offer RWS with any of their M models, they claim (rightfully) that it adds weight and compromises driving feeling.

PDCC, take a look here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...r-opinion.html

Again a very questionable choice for a GTS. I was thinking to order it, but even my SA advised me against.

Finally, I would expect that those two systems add about 200lbs of extra weight (just PDCC adds two actuators, 48V battery, control unit), not sure you really want that extra weight, you will even hurt your car’s straight line performance.

Last edited by Laki021; 06-19-2021 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-19-2021, 07:43 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 248 Posts

Hello folks,

This is my first post but have been lurking around the forums for a few months now. After months of researching and test driving, we finally decided on the Porsche Cayenne. This will be our first Porsche and we are coming from an Audi SQ5. I optioned the Cayenne S online with the options I want (PDCC, Rear Axle Steering, PTV are a must) but the issue is, a similarly optioned GTS is only $8k extra from my S build. I was able to get quotes from a few dealers with 3-4% off of MSRP for the S so I am guessing the GTS wont be discounted at all in this market. This makes the cost difference more like $12-13k. I plan to keep this car for 7-8 years and maintain it really well so the $12-13k difference is not a big deal in the long run and the GTS will likely depreciate much better than the S. Getting a V8 would be a bonus as well and who doesn't love the V8 sound right?

We test drove the S with PDCC and RAS and loved how it handled. I felt like we were in a sports sedan. Unfortunately, there is no GTS available to test drive where we live. My wife does not like the ride to be too harsh and from all the posts I have seen so far, it seems that the GTS rides pretty harsh. We go on a lot of road trips and will be doing 25k ish miles/year so comfort is a very important factor. But I do tend to drive my car aggressively around corners so handling is important as well. From a value perspective, I feel like I am being crazy to add $35-40k in options to the S when I can just get the GTS. Getting a sports car in addition to the Cayenne is not an option at this point so this has to be my everything car. Is the GTS ride that harsh compared to the S?

I know there have been other posts around this topic but i'd really appreciate if people that were in a similar situation as mine can suggest what to do here.
I have a 2019 Cayenne S with air, RAS, etc.

The Cayenne S V6 is a great vehicke and has a great engine, It even get upto 25/26 mpg on long trips here in Texas.

But if you really want a good torque experience, fast engine response, and better overall driving experience, you should go with the GTS, if the cost difference is minimal... Around $10k to 15K loaded..

My $0.02...

The following users liked this post:
rj2014 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 10:32 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I really like our 21 S. I don’t think the GTS has much on it in terms of acceleration. I thought the GTS rode fine (even with 21” wheels) and that the S also with 21 did not ride any better. 20” wheels instead of 21s would improve the ride (we went with 20” wheels
on our S). We did not get the GTS mainly because my wife complained about the truck like sound of the V8. I was fine with it, but the car was for her.

Last edited by pbon; 06-20-2021 at 11:24 AM.
rj2014 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 01:23 AM
rj2014
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Laki021
There’s another possibility, get a GTS without PDCC and RWS. It will cost you almost the same as Cayenne S but you will undoubtedly get a better car (lower and stiffer, better handling).

You should try cars with and without those systems and decide. Many people do not like RWS due to the unnatural feeling of rear end sliding away while cornering. I have it on my current car and tested in on Cayenne GTS, don’t want it. The benefits are minimal, reducing turning radius from 12 to 11.5 meters, that’s hardly even noticeable. Personally I find all those stories about increased maneuverability while parking a total BS, marketing and simply people justifying their decision.
Interesting, BMW does not offer RWS with any of their M models, they claim (rightfully) that it adds weight and compromises driving feeling.

PDCC, take a look here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...r-opinion.html

Again a very questionable choice for a GTS. I was thinking to order it, but even my SA advised me against.

Finally, I would expect that those two systems add about 200lbs of extra weight (just PDCC adds two actuators, 48V battery, control unit), not sure you really want that extra weight, you will even hurt your car’s straight line performance.
Point noted. I did drive the CS with PDCC and RWS and it felt very well balanced around the corners. I thought the base I drove without PDCC and RWS was a bit floaty. I will try to get my hands on a GTS with and without PDCC and compare to the S. Appreciate the advice.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:27 AM
rj2014
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fahrfun
To the OP, my best advice is to try your best and find a gts to test ride with your wife. It seems to be the only unknown preventing you from being 100% sure. I would make a trip to the other poster’s reference location quoted above, if it’s the only option for a hands on experience. Although not at all comparable at all (intended double emphasis here), one of my colleagues recently bought a Macan gts for his wife because he wanted the engine for the two times a year she was going to let his hands on it. She would have been happy with the S. A week later he called me to say they drove up the central coast and after the trip the wife told him she no longer wants to go on road trips with it due to the ride. So now it’s her 90k grocery getter. Seriously, unless you have so much wealth that you just don’t care, I would make a couples trip if necessary, even to a Porsche day at one of their centers, before settling on a long term acquisition of that dollar value. The only caveat here is due to exceptional current circumstances, if you were to get one right now from a lot and not like it a week later, it might be a small hit to return it for exchange. But that all depends how low you get in and who you deal with. Just IMHO. I’m hoping she’ll fall in love with it too though!
Yep, going to take this advice and probably plan a day trip to the closest location from us that has a GTS. My main worry with the Cayenne GTS is if it's ride quality is even half as bad as the Macan GTS, I will not hear the end of it from my wife haha! Based on the responses from others with a GTS, I am hoping that the ride quality in comfort is atleast decent.
Fahrfun (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 01:28 AM
rj2014
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George from MD
Bethesda Porsche has a couple of GTS's in stock and they are discounting a lot more than 4%. Ask for Sam.
Thank you! I don't see any GTS stock on their website but will reach out to Sam.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:48 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

You are expressing two concerns: (1) Ride quality/handling and (2) value proposition. I test drove several Cayenne variants in a months long search to the right vehicle for me. Here is what I found:

A Cayenne S optioned lightly provides a very nice driver, that is quiet and relatively fuel efficient. I optioned an S to around $118,000 (CAD) and got the following: Spyder RS wheels, air suspension, premium package plus, lane change assist, surround view, trailer tow package, sport chromo, white paint. I didn't get, full leather, sport exhaust, sport design package. If I had wanted those options, the suv would have been within around $8,000 of a GTS so the GTS would have been the better value proposition. But, of course, value isn't the only consideration.

A GTS adds sport exhaust as standard, Spyder RS (black), lowered suspension, full leather, sport design package. the GTS rides about 10 - 15% firmer than an S. In comfort mode, the S has more than a hint of "float" when you hit abrupt rises in the road or drive over a "lifting" railroad crossing. The GTS has almost no float in "comfort mode". The S removes almost all of it when you switch to sport mode. The GTS seems to have quicker steering and turn in. It is definitely set up different in the front end and you notice it on the highway in a cross wind where it gets pushed around more than an S. Its not a problem, but it is noticeable. The GTS is an easier step in than an S because it is lower - something I appreciate. Overall, in base form the GTS is a better handling suv. The GTS comes closer when optioned with PDCC.

If you don't care for the exhaust rumble at start off from a stop sign or lower speeds, the GTS is not for you. It is like a friend that never goes away, exceptionalities when at stead cruise. All Cayenne models (except GTS) have a distinct drone at highway speeds (60 - 70 mph). The base and eHybrid are the loudest (non PSE) at highway speeds, the PSE reduces that sound a bit, but it is always there. I find it tiring to listen to. The GTS exhaust is silent and cruise (any speed). At city speeds, the engine loafs along at 1,100 rpm in comfort mode and you don't hear anything.

While I may get criticized for writing this, my impression of the VW V6 engines in the Cayenne is that they are not very refined. The base engine while producing plenty of power once you are moving is laggy off the line. The S engine is a great performer but I found it was a bit buzzy at idle in the winter. I drove one in early May when it was warmer out and it was less buzzy and after 45 minutes of driving it was smooth at idle. Engine mounts?

The GTS is an extremely smooth engine and with PSE is not too loud and there is no drone. It feels heavier handling than the S though - maybe its the extra weight of the V8 or maybe its just in my head. It is otherwise a brilliant suv, save for the unwanted exhaust noise (most people buying a Porsche GTS model value the rumble though).

So the choice between the two really comes down to what you preference is. I find the GTS ride to be fine. It is a bit firmer than the S but not so much that your wife would notice. It is firmer than a BMW X5 which is tuned more for comfort. What would be interesting would be to hear your wife's comments on ride between the SQ5 (a Macan sized vehicle) and the Cayenne S you drove. Did she find the ride firmer or softer? I found the Cayenne S to have an overall better ride than the Macan GTS. Its a bigger, heavier vehicle.

As to value; I don't think any of these vehicles will have much value after 8 years and I'll go against the grain in saying the GTS will have a higher value than the S because of the V8. It may be the exact opposite due to the shift to electric cars and the amount of gas the V8 burns.

My advise? Drive a GTS with your wife in the car, back to back with an S on the same roads. After that I think you'll know which is best for you. Adding $30,000 - $40,000 worth of options to an S won't turn it into a GTS. As to PDCC, RWS etc. I drove an S with PDCC and think it is a brilliant option. If I was doing a custom order, I would have included it.

So my bottom line advice? No one can really tell you what is best for your taste. I think you have to drive both and see which you prefer. Am I happy with my GTS choice? Mostly.

What would make it better for me? A quieter exhaust, PDCC and better fuel economy. Do I miss anything? Yes - being able to mash the bas pedal down 75% of the way. Why don't I? Because there is always a car in front of me and when there isn't after about 3 seconds, I'm at triple digits (120 km/h - 70 mph) and I have to release or face a ticket. Some automotive journalists have opined that in the 911 lineup, the best model is the base Carerra. Why? because it is fun to use the cars engine, something that is harder to do with the S and other more powerful models. I find the same with the GTS.

Good luck!
Fahrfun (06-20-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 12:02 AM
rj2014
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kayjh
You are expressing two concerns: (1) Ride quality/handling and (2) value proposition. I test drove several Cayenne variants in a months long search to the right vehicle for me. Here is what I found:

A Cayenne S optioned lightly provides a very nice driver, that is quiet and relatively fuel efficient. I optioned an S to around $118,000 (CAD) and got the following: Spyder RS wheels, air suspension, premium package plus, lane change assist, surround view, trailer tow package, sport chromo, white paint. I didn't get, full leather, sport exhaust, sport design package. If I had wanted those options, the suv would have been within around $8,000 of a GTS so the GTS would have been the better value proposition. But, of course, value isn't the only consideration.

A GTS adds sport exhaust as standard, Spyder RS (black), lowered suspension, full leather, sport design package. the GTS rides about 10 - 15% firmer than an S. In comfort mode, the S has more than a hint of "float" when you hit abrupt rises in the road or drive over a "lifting" railroad crossing. The GTS has almost no float in "comfort mode". The S removes almost all of it when you switch to sport mode. The GTS seems to have quicker steering and turn in. It is definitely set up different in the front end and you notice it on the highway in a cross wind where it gets pushed around more than an S. Its not a problem, but it is noticeable. The GTS is an easier step in than an S because it is lower - something I appreciate. Overall, in base form the GTS is a better handling suv. The GTS comes closer when optioned with PDCC.

If you don't care for the exhaust rumble at start off from a stop sign or lower speeds, the GTS is not for you. It is like a friend that never goes away, exceptionalities when at stead cruise. All Cayenne models (except GTS) have a distinct drone at highway speeds (60 - 70 mph). The base and eHybrid are the loudest (non PSE) at highway speeds, the PSE reduces that sound a bit, but it is always there. I find it tiring to listen to. The GTS exhaust is silent and cruise (any speed). At city speeds, the engine loafs along at 1,100 rpm in comfort mode and you don't hear anything.

While I may get criticized for writing this, my impression of the VW V6 engines in the Cayenne is that they are not very refined. The base engine while producing plenty of power once you are moving is laggy off the line. The S engine is a great performer but I found it was a bit buzzy at idle in the winter. I drove one in early May when it was warmer out and it was less buzzy and after 45 minutes of driving it was smooth at idle. Engine mounts?

The GTS is an extremely smooth engine and with PSE is not too loud and there is no drone. It feels heavier handling than the S though - maybe its the extra weight of the V8 or maybe its just in my head. It is otherwise a brilliant suv, save for the unwanted exhaust noise (most people buying a Porsche GTS model value the rumble though).

So the choice between the two really comes down to what you preference is. I find the GTS ride to be fine. It is a bit firmer than the S but not so much that your wife would notice. It is firmer than a BMW X5 which is tuned more for comfort. What would be interesting would be to hear your wife's comments on ride between the SQ5 (a Macan sized vehicle) and the Cayenne S you drove. Did she find the ride firmer or softer? I found the Cayenne S to have an overall better ride than the Macan GTS. Its a bigger, heavier vehicle.

As to value; I don't think any of these vehicles will have much value after 8 years and I'll go against the grain in saying the GTS will have a higher value than the S because of the V8. It may be the exact opposite due to the shift to electric cars and the amount of gas the V8 burns.

My advise? Drive a GTS with your wife in the car, back to back with an S on the same roads. After that I think you'll know which is best for you. Adding $30,000 - $40,000 worth of options to an S won't turn it into a GTS. As to PDCC, RWS etc. I drove an S with PDCC and think it is a brilliant option. If I was doing a custom order, I would have included it.

So my bottom line advice? No one can really tell you what is best for your taste. I think you have to drive both and see which you prefer. Am I happy with my GTS choice? Mostly.

What would make it better for me? A quieter exhaust, PDCC and better fuel economy. Do I miss anything? Yes - being able to mash the bas pedal down 75% of the way. Why don't I? Because there is always a car in front of me and when there isn't after about 3 seconds, I'm at triple digits (120 km/h - 70 mph) and I have to release or face a ticket. Some automotive journalists have opined that in the 911 lineup, the best model is the base Carerra. Why? because it is fun to use the cars engine, something that is harder to do with the S and other more powerful models. I find the same with the GTS.

Good luck!
Thank you for the thorough comparison. I would imagine the S to feel lighter due to less weight on the front axle. The biggest difference I noticed between the Audi and Porsche was the steering and how everything just seemed to be better put together. I hate Audi's steering and Porsche's seemed like levels above which sold me on the Cayenne. Problem is that the Cayenne S I optioned came to $128k as the wife wants the assistance package and full leather interior. The GTS came upto $136k but I would imagine the 4-5% discount on S would make it relatively more cheaper than the GTS.

My wife found the S to be a tad bit more firmer than the SQ5 but the steering was much better than the Audi. We have air suspension on the SQ5 and also used to own an AMG which had a very firm ride. She drives the SQ5 in comfort mode where it feels very floaty. She also found the ride to be more planted in the CS but I am not sure how much of that is due the presence of PDCC on the CS we drove. Regarding the V8, I do appreciate the rumble and better low end torque and would love to have it. We are planning to go on a day trip to a near by city that has both GTS and S in stock. Problem is, none of the dealerships here in Texas have a GTS currently so we will have to fly somewhere.

Finally, since you also drove the Macan GTS, would you mind comparing the drive between Cayenne GTS and Macan GTS please? Is the ride in Cayenne GTS less harsh than the Macan?
Old 06-21-2021, 12:36 AM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts

The Porsche inventory tool is kind of a pain since you can't search for the submodel, only the model, but if you're willing to do some scrolling and refreshing you can see what's where: https://www.porsche.com/usa/inventorysearch/
Old 06-21-2021, 01:19 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Finally, since you also drove the Macan GTS, would you mind comparing the drive between Cayenne GTS and Macan GTS please? Is the ride in Cayenne GTS less harsh than the Macan?
I last drove a Macan GTS in summer 2020 and found it to have a very good ride. In both Macan and Cayenne, the air suspension makes for a compliant ride and great handling. The Cayenne offers a more solid and insulated feel than the Macan, but the Macan is a much sportier drive I really liked the PDK. I don’t think either vehicle has a harsh ride but Cayenne has been reviewed as having a firmer ride than other vehicles in its class (Audi, BMW), so it is a personal choice you have to make.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:42 AM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

My wife found the S to be a tad bit more firmer than the SQ5 but the steering was much better than the Audi. We have air suspension on the SQ5 and also used to own an AMG which had a very firm ride. She drives the SQ5 in comfort mode where it feels very floaty. She also found the ride to be more planted in the CS but I am not sure how much of that is due the presence of PDCC on the CS we drove. Regarding the V8, I do appreciate the rumble and better low end torque and would love to have it. We are planning to go on a day trip to a near by city that has both GTS and S in stock. Problem is, none of the dealerships here in Texas have a GTS currently so we will have to fly somewhere.
Glad you are planning on testing out both back to back. It’s the only way to truly find out what works for you and your spouse personally. I like how Porsche tuned their electric steering on their midsize SUV. Very reminiscent of hydraulic sensory perfection of bygone days. It’s the only vehicle in its class that brings a smile to my face when I drive. That, combined with excellent automatic gearshift timings, sets them apart from the rest, including their domestic competitors. I may amend that statement if and when I ever get behind the wheel of a Ferrari suv.

I just wanted to pass on a tip for when you go on that testing day. When you drive the S with air, try a short stretch with manually lowered suspension level while keeping the rest in normal. Some make it an individual setting. It lowers the center of mass closer to the GTS for slightly more responsiveness (ie car like feel) while maintaining ride comfort. It will never be a gts though obviously.

The most comfortable ride configuration I can say I’ve experienced in the Cayenne was the most basic 19” wheels i.e. tallest sidewalls on a base model with air suspension and nothing else. That drive was followed by one with steel suspension and 21” wheels, again nothing else. The surprise was that the ride in the latter was not dramatically harsher as I would have expected. The ride was certainly louder from tire noise and a bit jittery, but nothing harsh. In other words, not a world of difference in ride sacrifice. Porsche really nails it with their suspensions, unless your objective is a Lincoln level of plushness. And not AMG degrees of pain either.

Last, I would encourage you to try other configured chassis if available on the dealer lot especially PDCC vs non, and RWS vs non. I’m one the few (but not the only one) who felt undue business from the constantly active PDCC (or in my case hyperactive) to the point of getting lightly car sick on irregular road surfaces which seem to be everywhere now. Only two other vehicles did that to me... our late GLS which we couldn’t wait to “torpedo” fast enough, and a recent test drive of an X7 m50i with never settling active dampers. Anyway, most important of all, have fun!
rj2014 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 11:49 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fahrfun
I’m one the few (but not the only one) who felt undue business from the constantly active PDCC (or in my case hyperactive) to the point of getting lightly car sick on irregular road surfaces which seem to be everywhere now.
I'll go the other way on PDCC. One of my over the weekend test drives was in a Cayenne S with air and PDCC. I noticed that not only did the suv corner much flatter but that side to side motion which normally causes "head toss" was much reduced. Whether this was due to the air suspension or the PDCC, I don't know. But, I felt the Cayenne S with air suspension and PDCC handled very close to the GTS. As to getting sick on irregular surfaces, that feeling was present in a Cayenne eHybrid on steel springs. It went back after a test drive as a solid "no" for me. In any event, these are expensive vehicles and I agree that the OP should try before he buys, even if he has to travel to do so.

Last edited by kayjh; 06-21-2021 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Fahrfun (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 12:17 PM
Fahrfun
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I’ll take the same advice and give PDCC another go before the final decision. Maybe that particular test drive was a fluke for other unknown reasons to me at the time.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:14 AM
joinauto
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I was in the same shoe few months back. First test drove Cayenne S (no air) and felt it was too floaty and ride was harsh with 21wheel. Then test drove Cayenne S with air and PDCC, it was much improved but didn't like the slow response of the engine and drone engine noise. Then I test drove a GTS without PDCC. For driving experience, Cayenne S with PDCC was no comparison to GTS to me, and the GTS was quite comfortable. So I went to GTS route and optioned it with PDCC and RWS for their advertised driving experience (note that GTS tested by car journalists were optioned with PDCC and RWS).
rj2014 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 06:44 AM
Laki021
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts

So you would say that GTS without PDCC handles and drives better than Cayenne S with PDCC and PASM?

If I understand correctly, you liked the drive of the GTS without PDCC and RWS, but added them to your config hoping that it will make the ride even better (based on the advertisements)?

Quick Reply: Help deciding between S and GTS