Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PDCC - do you have it on your Cayenne and what is your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 10:23 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 227 Posts
Default PDCC - do you have it on your Cayenne and what is your opinion?

Still have plenty of time until my build for my Turbo Coupe locks. Who ordered or has PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) on their Cayenne? What do you think about the value of the option? Does it really make the 2+ ton Cayenne handle sports car flat and does it feel synthetic or engineered? Also worries about the long term maintenance of yet another system, and this time it’s 48 volts.

i am definitely adding rear axle steering and PTV but am on the fence as to whether to include PDCC.

Feedback welcome.
The following users liked this post:
poolie (03-28-2021)
Old 08-07-2020, 11:40 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

We have PDCC and Rear-Axle Steering. Together they really do make the vehicle drive almost like a real sports car. It does not feel in any way unnatural. Just very very solid.
Gasguzlr (07-17-2021)
Old 08-07-2020, 11:44 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had this on my last 2 Cayenne Turbo's. I wouldn't order one without it.
The following 4 users liked this post by fkim011:
daveo4porsche (01-04-2021), duffman04 (04-28-2021), Heegoogoo1 (12-10-2020), poolie (01-03-2021)
Old 08-08-2020, 03:15 AM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 114 Posts

I have PDCC on my E Hybrid, it hides the extra weight of the batteries quite well. Handling seems natural, nothing artificial feeling.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:45 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 227 Posts

Thanks everyone, sounds like a must have option. Do we know how much more weight the PDCC system adds to the car?
Old 08-10-2020, 11:44 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

I'll go against the grain and say while it is noticeable from the Cayennes I've driven, my use case for a Cayenne would rarely if ever include taking a corner hard and fast. If it wasn't for me actively looking for situations to test the PDCC, the only time I would really feel it is on curvy on or off ramps. And even then, it's not like the standard Cayenne leans like the ladder frame SUVs of the previous era. In fact, I actually find a little body lean more fun because it makes me feel like I'm taking the turn harder than I actually am.

So for my intended use, PDCC doesn't make sense. I intend to use the Cayenne as a practical daily with the fun portion coming from being a straight line highway missile.
The following 7 users liked this post by obbob:
David Mackintosh (09-03-2020), Dr. G7 (07-04-2021), Heegoogoo1 (12-10-2020), Jerrym (09-11-2020), moosepogo (08-30-2023), poolie (01-03-2021), Russian Mafia (12-13-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-17-2020, 07:08 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I have it with RWS on my 20 Hybrid and love it! Keeps the top heavy SUV reasonable vertical around curves and helps avoid motion sickness.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:15 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by obbob
I'll go against the grain and say while it is noticeable from the Cayennes I've driven, my use case for a Cayenne would rarely if ever include taking a corner hard and fast. If it wasn't for me actively looking for situations to test the PDCC, the only time I would really feel it is on curvy on or off ramps. And even then, it's not like the standard Cayenne leans like the ladder frame SUVs of the previous era. In fact, I actually find a little body lean more fun because it makes me feel like I'm taking the turn harder than I actually am.

So for my intended use, PDCC doesn't make sense. I intend to use the Cayenne as a practical daily with the fun portion coming from being a straight line highway missile.
Some are not aware the PDCC also disengages the bar when going straight which improves the ride by reducing the effective spring rate. It can also alter the understeer/oversteer ratio on the fly and Porsche leverages that to offer safer driving when not flogging or give it a more tail happy (fun) feel when flogging.
The following 3 users liked this post by krabman:
Chaos (01-10-2021), duffman04 (04-28-2021), Gasguzlr (07-17-2021)
Old 08-20-2020, 04:21 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

PDCC is of little benefit when driving straight on highway, but helps a little or a lot in many other situations. Hard cornering is not necessary to feel the benefits - the transition from right to left turns in S-curves feels better. To me the biggest benefit was surprising - less motion sickness. I can get to mountains for skiing/biking 10-20% faster with it just because kids would not puke with PDCC at much higher speeds.
David Mackintosh (09-03-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 01:03 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Must have in my opinion for a car/SUV this size. We have air pasm/pdcc on our base.

It's not really about cornering at the limit of the vehicle per say (which I do sometimes when I'm on my own and it's definitely fun), but more about how composed the car is on just any non-straight section of road w air susp + PDCC. So the car carries speed with such ease through any highway merge, high speed sweeper or twisty road, that you can confidently brake much less for things and just maintain your speed. Add the softer straight line suspension it allows, and almost zero body roll to that, combined w less need to accelerate and decelerate, and a long road trip becomes a true Boeing 747 experience. Add the acoustic glass on top and it makes for very comfortable passengers who don't have a clue/never complain that you might be going at a decent clip. I like that since historically i've had a lot of complaints.

If it was a sporting vehicle for me I probably wouldn't have optioned it as I like to feel how I load up the suspension and feedback that comes w that on track or backroads, but for a luxury cruiser I feel it's a must.

Having said all that, I did really push it earlier this year in NC mountains and it is extremely capable w PDCC.
The following 5 users liked this post by erko1905:
David Mackintosh (09-03-2020), poolie (01-03-2021), Ruikosta (04-26-2021), Russian Mafia (12-13-2020), TempeAndy (08-22-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:44 AM
turbo power
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered my turbo with PDCC along with the other performance gizmos based on press test reviews....all the Cayennes that Porsche was sending to journalists had PDCC/ RWS/ PASM/ PTV etc etc. I did not have a chance to test drive beforehand on dealer lot- and perhaps some "FOMO" effect- so I checked the boxes. Coming from a M5, wanted to minimize body roll in a heavy SUV plus a daily driver ride. Not disappointed at all. Agree with the comments above - works seamlessly on highway sweepers and city turns - no body roll - especially with RWS and "Low" suspension setting.
poolie (01-03-2021)
Old 12-11-2020, 04:04 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all,

I was wondering about the pdcc too. My dealer said that some customers weren't too convinced because it's rather harsh on speed bumps and they live in areas with many of them. Since you can't turn off the pdcc, these customers wished they hadn't chosen the option.
I wonder if the adaptive air suspension allows the softer ride when needed with pdcc on? In my panamera this certainly helps, although I don't have pdcc in it.

Any experience anyone can share?

I personally do like the pdcc idea on a high car like this. I have it on my 911 gts, and there I'd be inclined to say it doesn't add much value, not even on the track.

Cheers
Old 12-11-2020, 06:08 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by pietpara
Hi all,

I was wondering about the pdcc too. My dealer said that some customers weren't too convinced because it's rather harsh on speed bumps and they live in areas with many of them. Since you can't turn off the pdcc, these customers wished they hadn't chosen the option.
I wonder if the adaptive air suspension allows the softer ride when needed with pdcc on? In my panamera this certainly helps, although I don't have pdcc in it.

Any experience anyone can share?

I personally do like the pdcc idea on a high car like this. I have it on my 911 gts, and there I'd be inclined to say it doesn't add much value, not even on the track.

Cheers
I am fairly certain that you have to order the Air suspension in order to get PDCC, at least on the Cayenne. I have air & PDCC on my '20 E Hybrid, and it is a fantastic set up, no harshness that I have noted, but then I prefer firmer, sport suspensions to begin with.
poolie (01-03-2021)
Old 12-12-2020, 12:18 AM
8378hjlafdljfads
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the PDCC on my Turbo and I think it is amazing. The vehicle is super flat, almost no body roll, feels natural too! I had a Macan S loaner for 2 months without PDCC and it felt like a total boat, huge body roll compared to my Cayenne Turbo with PDCC. Very, very glad I have it.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:09 AM
pietpara
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSchnee
I am fairly certain that you have to order the Air suspension in order to get PDCC, at least on the Cayenne. I have air & PDCC on my '20 E Hybrid, and it is a fantastic set up, no harshness that I have noted, but then I prefer firmer, sport suspensions to begin with.
thanks for sharing.
So, does the air suspension on the cayenne also allow 3 stiffness settings? And pdcc keeps it flat in all levels?

Quick Reply: PDCC - do you have it on your Cayenne and what is your opinion?