Sponsored By:

Help deciding between S and GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 09:58 PM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Moneys not the issue. I could buy whatever I want. I just want to make sure I get the right vehicle for me. Unfortunately there are no GTS’s available for test drive in the area.
If this is the case and you don't ever plan to get a V8 Panamera, I would say go for a Cayenne Turbo. GTS may give you a sporty ride but at the price of comfort, less power and ultimately turbo experience which generally has firm handling and also corners VERY flat with PDCC. Turbo will let you know why the model is considered flagship for so many years.
I have a variety of Pcars in my garage - 970.2 4.8
PTT, 9Y0 2.9CS , 958 C3.0D, 993 and 951T - Having been fortunate enough to experience all the modern variants of non-flat sixes I think the later version of dry sump V8 is a gem. If you don't have it then suggest you get one.

Last edited by s85b50; 07-19-2021 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ticket Target (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 10:22 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Moneys not the issue. I could buy whatever I want. I just want to make sure I get the right vehicle for me. Unfortunately there are no GTS’s available for test drive in the area.
I'm in San Jose (mostly). If you want to drive a turbo coupe with all the sport options, we could talk.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:22 PM
arunym
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So i drove this about 871 miles down the East coast and it was a blast. some things about it and the experience:

1) Stability and control: I was blowing by 53' trailers and felt zero wind turbulence, which is a first for me out of any car i have ever had, including a 2015 M4. Basically, this car hugs the road, tight and gives you tons of confidence.
2) Youve heard this in reviews, but never once did it feel under powered. Thats fact #1. I was thinking about how this would be different than the turbo, i cant imagine needing any more straight line power unless im tracking it regularly...maybe. But then you may compromise on steering.
3) RAS! i did lots of uturns on the road and this thing can turn on a dime (well, figuratively). I dont know what it would be like without RAS, but for practicality and safety, i am super happy about this option
4) The steering column adjustment was a non-issue. Took about 15 minutes, i did it once and then drove it 870 miles, no issue. They'll retro fit that chip, but i doubt i will adjust again. Maybe, but a centimeter here or there.
5) The seats are very comfortable, and were the entire way. My 75 year old dad came along for the ride, didnt complain once about the seats, actually commented on their comfort. Love the hounds tooth fabric, needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.
6) The exterior color is just outstanding with the black contrasts. I am SUPER happy i got chalk. I stand by a comment i made earlier that you cant get a bad color in this car, but i do think some will stand out more than others. Depends on what youre looking for.
7) The car is heavy and you can feel the weight around corners. I did not get PDCC, but wondering now if i should have. Im trying to figure out the physics here; the car would have counter weights and be held more flat but my body would still be impacted by the same G-force because i dont have a counter weight (one day i will for my love handles). I could imagine the seats would grip me more with PDCC, but IDK. Anyway, if youre in doubt about this option, definitely drive a car with and without it, i did not.
8) Radio channel controls. Porsche messed up on this one. My hot key is channel up, but i have to dink with that screen to adjust channels up and down and it did not feel safe. WTF
9) love the feel of the alctantara steering wheel. I do generally like a girthier steering wheel (personal preference but BMW and Audi has done this right), but all in all happy with the wheel
10) I dont know if i look at this car as a daily driver yet. Its a bit of a production when you drive it, i mean, its a GTS...its super duper loud at start up, stiff *** steering lbeit it direct, heavy, low MPG, has ginormous wheels that are easily curbed (if you suck at driving like me) etc. Maybe because its the coupe, and i feel that the regular one would be more daily driver-ish since i test drove that one, IDK. Either way, im not daily driving it based on my work situation. That doesnt mean i dont have the urge to get in it hourly.
11) I figured out what that middle non-seat holder thing is for in the back bench! (see 3rd pic)

All in all I absolutely LOVE this car and am super happy with the decision and wanted to just share my thoughts candidly, hopefully they are helpful! Happy to answer any more questions.

TempeAndy (07-25-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 04:26 PM
rj2014
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by arunym
So i drove this about 871 miles down the East coast and it was a blast. some things about it and the experience:

1) Stability and control: I was blowing by 53' trailers and felt zero wind turbulence, which is a first for me out of any car i have ever had, including a 2015 M4. Basically, this car hugs the road, tight and gives you tons of confidence.
2) Youve heard this in reviews, but never once did it feel under powered. Thats fact #1. I was thinking about how this would be different than the turbo, i cant imagine needing any more straight line power unless im tracking it regularly...maybe. But then you may compromise on steering.
3) RAS! i did lots of uturns on the road and this thing can turn on a dime (well, figuratively). I dont know what it would be like without RAS, but for practicality and safety, i am super happy about this option
4) The steering column adjustment was a non-issue. Took about 15 minutes, i did it once and then drove it 870 miles, no issue. They'll retro fit that chip, but i doubt i will adjust again. Maybe, but a centimeter here or there.
5) The seats are very comfortable, and were the entire way. My 75 year old dad came along for the ride, didnt complain once about the seats, actually commented on their comfort. Love the hounds tooth fabric, needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.
6) The exterior color is just outstanding with the black contrasts. I am SUPER happy i got chalk. I stand by a comment i made earlier that you cant get a bad color in this car, but i do think some will stand out more than others. Depends on what youre looking for.
7) The car is heavy and you can feel the weight around corners. I did not get PDCC, but wondering now if i should have. Im trying to figure out the physics here; the car would have counter weights and be held more flat but my body would still be impacted by the same G-force because i dont have a counter weight (one day i will for my love handles). I could imagine the seats would grip me more with PDCC, but IDK. Anyway, if youre in doubt about this option, definitely drive a car with and without it, i did not.
8) Radio channel controls. Porsche messed up on this one. My hot key is channel up, but i have to dink with that screen to adjust channels up and down and it did not feel safe. WTF
9) love the feel of the alctantara steering wheel. I do generally like a girthier steering wheel (personal preference but BMW and Audi has done this right), but all in all happy with the wheel
10) I dont know if i look at this car as a daily driver yet. Its a bit of a production when you drive it, i mean, its a GTS...its super duper loud at start up, stiff *** steering lbeit it direct, heavy, low MPG, has ginormous wheels that are easily curbed (if you suck at driving like me) etc. Maybe because its the coupe, and i feel that the regular one would be more daily driver-ish since i test drove that one, IDK. Either way, im not daily driving it based on my work situation. That doesnt mean i dont have the urge to get in it hourly.
11) I figured out what that middle non-seat holder thing is for in the back bench! (see 3rd pic)

All in all I absolutely LOVE this car and am super happy with the decision and wanted to just share my thoughts candidly, hopefully they are helpful! Happy to answer any more questions.
Gorgeous car and it does look stunning in Chalk. Glad you are enjoying it!
We are leaning towards Chalk on our GTS order too with the high gloss black package but it will be the non coupe GTS.
arunym (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 04:35 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 504 Posts

Congrats on the new car. I think it is the perfect daily driver. It's as sporty as an suv gets but it carries 5 and all of your stuff. It is a bit loud on startup but that goes away in about 20 seconds and then it is whisper quiet cruising until you step hard on the gas. I'm not sure what you mean by "counter weights" in the PDCC system. It doesn't use any, it stiffens the anti roll bars using a 48V electric motor. While my GTS SUV handles extremely well without it, if I were to order a car and select options, it would be on the list. Expensive to repair if it fails? Which option or feature (air suspension, differential, turbochargers etc.) isn't? Why pick on PDCC?

Enjoy your GTS, it is a great choice.
arunym (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 08:15 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pbon
I have an 18 M5 and 21 Cayenne S. The M5 is way faster and handles better, but has no personality. I actually like the sound and feel of the little 2.9L TT motor more — it has a little personality. I would have bought the Cayenne Turbo but the SUV is for my wife. We test drove a GTS as a compromise but she thought it sounded like a truck. I am not ready to go to an SUV as my primary driver. Maybe if I also had a 911 Turbo to satisfy my speed need.
Well said and Imagine if you had a GTS, w/ all the performance options that Porsche offers as I do (less the CF brakes). It makes the M5 feel adolescent and disconnected w/ the road.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:56 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,975 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Its really really hard to go wrong with a Cayenne - wife I just completed 2 day Napa trip (400'ish miles round trip) in our 2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid - what a car!! Way way way too much power - it's so awesome: PDCC, RWS, Sports Exhaust and the extra oomph of the EV motor make this an all around GEM of an SUV - and so so so comfy for the longer stretches - ACC for SF Bay Area traffic and plenty of oomph for when you get away from the Traffic - I'm thinking pretty much anything other than the base is hard to beat: Cayenne eHybrid, Cayenne S, Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo, Cayenne TurboS eHybrid - if you options the performance/handling bits it's really really hard to imagine a better SUV you can actually purchase.

14-way seats w/Massage is super duper according to the wife.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:29 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Again, she's a beauty and only other color for me, besides my Black GTS. You got the banana idea from a you tube review, right? I recall seeing it, one of many.
arunym (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 10:00 PM
arunym
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Again, she's a beauty and only other color for me, besides my Black GTS. You got the banana idea from a you tube review, right? I recall seeing it, one of many.
lol no, but I am now going to look for that video
SARGEPUG (07-28-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 06:24 PM
rj2014
Racer

Change in plans. We ended up needing a new car lot sooner than we initially expected. Din't find a GTS with the options we want but found a very well optioned Cayenne S with the performance package and the exact color combo we wanted so ended up pulling the trigger on it. After the discount on S, our custom build was going to cost an additional $20k + 6 months wait so just decided to go with this car for now and build a GTS in 1-2 years. Car is on route to Texas and should be here within the next few days. Attaching some pics from the dealer below:

Old 07-30-2021, 08:31 PM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That is a nice find with the performance package, a hard to find option. Your are going to love the truffle/cohiba brown leather. I was in the same boat, I wanted a GTS but could not find one optioned like I wanted in white, and was getting estimates of 6 -9 month wait, so I pulled the trigger on an S with truffle/cohiba and really like it.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:40 PM
rj2014
Racer

Originally Posted by shaginwagon
That is a nice find with the performance package, a hard to find option. Your are going to love the truffle/cohiba brown leather. I was in the same boat, I wanted a GTS but could not find one optioned like I wanted in white, and was getting estimates of 6 -9 month wait, so I pulled the trigger on an S with truffle/cohiba and really like it.
Thank you. There was only one available in the country and this one has massage seats as a nice bonus too. Dealer said they usually dont order cars this way but wanted to see how it would sell if they jack it up with options. I paid the deposit on it the day the car arrived at their dealership so I am guessing they will order well optioned cars in the future. Glad you are liking the truffle brown interior. We sat in one few months ago and were very impressed by it.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:01 AM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I really like the S. We have had ours for 12k miles. The engine feels athletic—I like the sound with the standard exhaust and the way it revs and shifts. We have sport chrono but not the performance package. I just put a JB4 on ours to bring the straightline performance into or beyond GTS levels and close to base turbo level.

Last edited by pbon; 07-31-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:54 AM
rj2014
Racer

Originally Posted by pbon
I really like the S. We had had ours for 12k miles. The engine feels athletic—I like the sound with the standard exhaust and the way it revs and shifts. We have sport chrono but not the performance package. I just put a JB4 on ours to bring the straightline performance into or beyond GTS levels and close to base turbo level.
Does JB4 affect your warranty?
Old 07-31-2021, 06:46 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

Only if you get caught.
rj2014 (07-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Help deciding between S and GTS