Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-9y0-2019-247/)
-   -   Help deciding between S and GTS (https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-9y0-2019/1256597-help-deciding-between-s-and-gts.html)

rj2014 06-19-2021 01:58 PM

Help deciding between S and GTS

Hello folks,

This is my first post but have been lurking around the forums for a few months now. After months of researching and test driving, we finally decided on the Porsche Cayenne. This will be our first Porsche and we are coming from an Audi SQ5. I optioned the Cayenne S online with the options I want (PDCC, Rear Axle Steering, PTV are a must) but the issue is, a similarly optioned GTS is only $8k extra from my S build. I was able to get quotes from a few dealers with 3-4% off of MSRP for the S so I am guessing the GTS wont be discounted at all in this market. This makes the cost difference more like $12-13k. I plan to keep this car for 7-8 years and maintain it really well so the $12-13k difference is not a big deal in the long run and the GTS will likely depreciate much better than the S. Getting a V8 would be a bonus as well and who doesn't love the V8 sound right?

We test drove the S with PDCC and RAS and loved how it handled. I felt like we were in a sports sedan. Unfortunately, there is no GTS available to test drive where we live. My wife does not like the ride to be too harsh and from all the posts I have seen so far, it seems that the GTS rides pretty harsh. We go on a lot of road trips and will be doing 25k ish miles/year so comfort is a very important factor. But I do tend to drive my car aggressively around corners so handling is important as well. From a value perspective, I feel like I am being crazy to add $35-40k in options to the S when I can just get the GTS. Getting a sports car in addition to the Cayenne is not an option at this point so this has to be my everything car. Is the GTS ride that harsh compared to the S?

I know there have been other posts around this topic but i'd really appreciate if people that were in a similar situation as mine can suggest what to do here.

dasams 06-19-2021 02:19 PM

At that price difference, the GTS is a no brainer IMO. You'll get the adjustable air suspension that is marvelous and is not harsh when damping is on regular. You should test drive a turbo to get a feel for the air suspension. The GTS comes sport exhaust and full leather is a no cost option if you delete the Race Tex (as I've done).

icemang 06-19-2021 02:20 PM

Have you watched these? It's just their opinions but they do have opinions.

rj2014 06-19-2021 02:39 PM

Thanks for the response. Is the turbo similar in suspension setup to the GTS?

NelsonLee 06-19-2021 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17501989)
Hello folks,

This is my first post but have been lurking around the forums for a few months now. After months of researching and test driving, we finally decided on the Porsche Cayenne. This will be our first Porsche and we are coming from an Audi SQ5. I optioned the Cayenne S online with the options I want (PDCC, Rear Axle Steering, PTV are a must) but the issue is, a similarly optioned GTS is only $8k extra from my S build. I was able to get quotes from a few dealers with 3-4% off of MSRP for the S so I am guessing the GTS wont be discounted at all in this market. This makes the cost difference more like $12-13k. I plan to keep this car for 7-8 years and maintain it really well so the $12-13k difference is not a big deal in the long run and the GTS will likely depreciate much better than the S. Getting a V8 would be a bonus as well and who doesn't love the V8 sound right?

We test drove the S with PDCC and RAS and loved how it handled. I felt like we were in a sports sedan. Unfortunately, there is no GTS available to test drive where we live. My wife does not like the ride to be too harsh and from all the posts I have seen so far, it seems that the GTS rides pretty harsh. We go on a lot of road trips and will be doing 25k ish miles/year so comfort is a very important factor. But I do tend to drive my car aggressively around corners so handling is important as well. From a value perspective, I feel like I am being crazy to add $35-40k in options to the S when I can just get the GTS. Getting a sports car in addition to the Cayenne is not an option at this point so this has to be my everything car. Is the GTS ride that harsh compared to the S?

I know there have been other posts around this topic but i'd really appreciate if people that were in a similar situation as mine can suggest what to do here.

Couple of thoughts;
If the cost difference isn’t an issue, go for the GTS. It sounds like you’ve already talked yourself into one 😅
If cost and comfort is an issue, I would stick with the S.
If left on normal setting, ride comfort is good (but obviously subjective)

that all being said, you should reach out to your local dealer to see if they can even allocate or build a GTS.

I just spoke with my SA because a friend of mine wanted to get a GTS and he said all the allocations are spoken for. And there was no news if there was a 2022 GTS yet.

drcollie 06-19-2021 02:40 PM

I have a 2021 GTS, my wife a '20 Macan S (came out of an SQ5 like you), and my BIL has a '21 Cayenne S. So, good reference points. The Macan is MUCH closer to your SQ5 btw, the Cayenne is larger and more luxurious. The GTS will always have superior resale value and is unabashedly louder and sportier than an S. It does not ride harsh, not in the least. I consider mine to be a luxury vehicle that is very fast. By BIL drove my GTS and said "these were not out when I bought mine or I'd have got one of these instead".

I was able to get a $ 14K discount on my GTS in early March, the market may have changed since then.

What you will notice primarily with the GTS. 1) It's never quiet, the exhaust RUMBLES. My wife is convinced I put an aftermarket exhaust on it 2) Gas mileage is a bit dismal. 3) Oh, that V8 !

rj2014 06-19-2021 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by icemang (Post 17502022)
Have you watched these? It's just their opinions but they do have opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGr3Pk6K_l4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYflh0Dm3nc

Love Savagegeese reviews. I did watch these video but was still left cofused as they did not address the cost issue when the S is optioned up by $35-40k. From a depreciation standpoint, a $140k GTS is going to hold up much better than a $130k S is what I feel like. But if I get something that rides really harsh, I am never going to hear the end of it from my wife :banghead:.

rj2014 06-19-2021 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by NelsonLee (Post 17502052)
Couple of thoughts;
If the cost difference isn’t an issue, go for the GTS. It sounds like you’ve already talked yourself into one 😅
If cost and comfort is an issue, I would stick with the S.
If left on normal setting, ride comfort is good (but obviously subjective)

that all being said, you should reach out to your local dealer to see if they can even allocate or build a GTS.

I just spoke with my SA because a friend of mine wanted to get a GTS and he said all the allocations are spoken for. And there was no news if there was a 2022 GTS yet.

So from what I gathered, new allocations should open up in July-August with an end of the year delivery and I am ok with that wait. My main issue is not the cost but the comfort haha!

rj2014 06-19-2021 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by drcollie (Post 17502055)
I have a 2021 GTS, my wife a '20 Macan S (came out of an SQ5 like you), and my BIL has a '21 Cayenne S. So, good reference points. The Macan is MUCH closer to your SQ5 btw, the Cayenne is larger and more luxurious. The GTS will always have superior resale value and is unabashedly louder and sportier than an S. It does not ride harsh, not in the least. I consider mine to be a luxury vehicle that is very fast. By BIL drove my GTS and said "these were not out when I bought mine or I'd have got one of these instead".

I was able to get a $ 14K discount on my GTS in early March, the market may have changed since then.

What you will notice primarily with the GTS. 1) It's never quiet, the exhaust RUMBLES. My wife is convinced I put an aftermarket exhaust on it 2) Gas mileage is a bit dismal. 3) Oh, that V8 !

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I have the air suspension on my SQ5 and although it handles corners decently, its a little too soft for me although it makes for a great highway cruiser. I felt like the air suspension was setup much better in the Cayenne S. The way I see it, we only have a few more years to enjoy the gasoline engines, so I might as well get what I want but at the same time I do need to take my wife's preferences into consideration. As they say, "happy wife, happy life". I will need to test drive a GTS but you are definitely making me feel the FOMO :D

Regarding the discount, were you able to get it on a new build or did you pick one up from the dealer lot?

CanuckGT4 06-19-2021 03:20 PM

GTS all the way. The V8 is so much better than the V6, no question about it. Plus the exhaust sound is insane in the GTS. It rides very well, you won't have any issues, Porsche performs magic with their suspension setups that Audi can't touch.
I currently have a Panamera 4S ST with the V6 engine and the throttle response in the Cayenne GTS is so much better. The V6 is very slow to respond under 4-5k. Even though it puts out similar power, the way it delivers it is simply inferior imho.

Ericson38 06-19-2021 03:41 PM

Does the rear wheel steering run on a separate 48V actuator and battery ? I did read up on how it works, No ball joints, just bushing flex in the normal swing arm bushings.

Schnave 06-19-2021 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ericson38 (Post 17502155)
Does the rear wheel steering run on a separate 48V actuator and battery ? I did read up on how it works, No ball joints, just bushing flex in the normal swing arm bushings.

Good question. Porsche states that the PDCC is 48v and has a separate 48v battery on PDCC equipped vehicles. Porsche installs the 48v battery only on PDCC equipped vehicles.

They do not specifically say how the RWS motor is powered. Dasams states that the RWS also uses 48 volts. Lending credence to his statement, I found a picture of the RWS that shows it powered by the telltale orange high voltage cables (over 30 volts).

Originally Posted by dasams (Post 17484021)
Indeed an interesting find. BTW, the rear axle steering actuators also use 48V but I have seen no info that suggests there's a 48V battery. More likely they use an inverter to convert 12V to 48V.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d7afe041d.jpeg

George from MD 06-19-2021 05:18 PM

Bethesda Porsche has a couple of GTS's in stock and they are discounting a lot more than 4%. Ask for Sam.

Fahrfun 06-19-2021 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by George from MD (Post 17502289)
Bethesda Porsche has a couple of GTS's in stock and they are discounting a lot more than 4%. Ask for Sam.

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17502085)
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I have the air suspension on my SQ5 and although it handles corners decently, its a little too soft for me although it makes for a great highway cruiser. I felt like the air suspension was setup much better in the Cayenne S. The way I see it, we only have a few more years to enjoy the gasoline engines, so I might as well get what I want but at the same time I do need to take my wife's preferences into consideration. As they say, "happy wife, happy life". I will need to test drive a GTS but you are definitely making me feel the FOMO :D

Regarding the discount, were you able to get it on a new build or did you pick one up from the dealer lot?

To the OP, my best advice is to try your best and find a gts to test ride with your wife. It seems to be the only unknown preventing you from being 100% sure. I would make a trip to the other poster’s reference location quoted above, if it’s the only option for a hands on experience. Although not at all comparable at all (intended double emphasis here), one of my colleagues recently bought a Macan gts for his wife because he wanted the engine for the two times a year she was going to let his hands on it. She would have been happy with the S. A week later he called me to say they drove up the central coast and after the trip the wife told him she no longer wants to go on road trips with it due to the ride. So now it’s her 90k grocery getter. Seriously, unless you have so much wealth that you just don’t care, I would make a couples trip if necessary, even to a Porsche day at one of their centers, before settling on a long term acquisition of that dollar value. The only caveat here is due to exceptional current circumstances, if you were to get one right now from a lot and not like it a week later, it might be a small hit to return it for exchange. But that all depends how low you get in and who you deal with. Just IMHO. I’m hoping she’ll fall in love with it too though!

dasams 06-19-2021 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by rj2014 (Post 17502051)
Thanks for the response. Is the turbo similar in suspension setup to the GTS?

The GTS sits 10 mm lower than Turbos or S's or Base models with air suspension. I don't how they they are set up as the valving could be different. If you can find a demo with air suspension, it's worth a drive regardless of whether it is a Turbo, S or Base.

I had air suspension in my 2006 CS and liked it a lot.