Sponsored By:

Cayenne S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 05:59 PM
joinauto
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cayenne S vs GTS

People may have discussed this topic many times, just would like share some of my experience on short test drives with both.

The Cayenne S I test drove was a bit bare bone. It was on a 19in wheel and did not equip with air suspension, but with sport chrono. The car drives well, but not special to me. I like the tight but compliance ride, but I hear a lot road noise and the car sways a little bit on normal driving, not as planted as I would expect. The engine noise was not that pleasant on low rpms, more like a droning noise.

Then I jumped onto the GTS. wow, the difference was HUGE! The little V8 really adds excitement to the driving experience. It's on 21in wheel but I forgot about the road noise actually. The car felt so much more planted compared to Cayenne S, and really gave a sport car feeling. The GTS I test drove did not come with PDCC, which will only make the car better.

I wanted to test drive a Cayenne S with air suspension. But there was not one on the dealer lot. Not sure if the air suspension on Cayenne S will help the car to be more planted or not.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:26 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

The S is better with 20” wheels but obviously still won’t compare to 21s or 22s or a car with PDCC. I am not sure air is critical. Set PASM to Sport or Sport Chrono to Sport Plus and the car stiffens up a bit. I drove both S and GTS and bought an S, but from your description, I think you would be happier with the GTS. It has a heavier, more powerful, better handling feel. I probably would have bought one but the car was really for my wife and she did not like the GTS.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:39 PM
joinauto
Advanced

Originally Posted by pbon
The S is better with 20” wheels but obviously still won’t compare to 21s or 22s or a car with PDCC. I am not sure air is critical. Set PASM to Sport or Sport Chrono to Sport Plus and the car stiffens up a bit. I drove both S and GTS and bought an S, but from your description, I think you would be happier with the GTS. It has a heavier, more powerful, better handling feel. I probably would have bought one but the car was really for my wife and she did not like the GTS.
Yeah, it's possible that the wheel size matters, as well as the air suspension. I just did not expect the driving experience so different between S and GTS. I was considering S, but now may stretch my budget for a GTS. Will find an S with 21in wheel and air suspension for a test drive next.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:57 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 250 Posts

Air suspension set to LOW makes a big difference in the Cayennes. Just wait till you drive one with Rear Axle Steering. Feels like a Macan.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:23 AM
MFC993
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a 2019 S with the air suspension and RAS (no PDCC) along with 22in. Exclusives
I like a firm ride so I keep the air setting on LOW at all times along with suspension in Sport Plus (engine setting in Sport)
It's tight.
I would trade up to a GTS for me personally only for the Engine with the Lightweight Sports Package Exhaust, but not for the ride.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:14 AM
joinauto
Advanced

Originally Posted by MFC993
I have a 2019 S with the air suspension and RAS (no PDCC) along with 22in. Exclusives
I like a firm ride so I keep the air setting on LOW at all times along with suspension in Sport Plus (engine setting in Sport)
It's tight.
I would trade up to a GTS for me personally only for the Engine with the Lightweight Sports Package Exhaust, but not for the ride.
So you mean the ride is too firm on GTS? I didn't notice it probably because I was too impressed by the overall experience. Will make another trip to the dealership.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:02 AM
pbon
Racer

If you really liked the GTS, you should buy it rather than buy an S and spend the next few years or maybe longer (we keep cars for about 10 years) wishing you had bought the GTS.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:09 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 733 Likes on 508 Posts

I have driven both, but not back to back, the GTS I drove in late October was on 21" summer performance tires and it tramlines a bit and the ride was a bit too firm for my liking. The dealer said the firmer ride was due to the almost frozen tires (air temp was about 40F) and would be more compliant in summer with warmer temps or overall better ride with all season tires. The dealer just got a GTS in with 21" all season. I'm test driving it this afternoon.

I drove a 2020 Cayenne S with 21" (non air suspension) and all season tires in July and found the ride pretty compliant, but still a bit on the firm side. I passed on the vehicle as I wanted air suspension.

The truth is, where I live, I can never use the power of the GTS, but once you start adding options to an S (sport design apron, full leather, air suspension), you aren't too far away form a GTS. I wonder whether the best vehicle for me is a 2021 Cayenne eHybrid. gets rid of the turbo lag on the base cayenne, does 0 -50 in 5.2 seconds, which is plenty quick and gets good fuel economy to boot. I wonder what these Turbo and GTS V8 models are going to be worth in 4 years as manufacturers start shifting to EV sales. I know most people on these forums are automotive enthusiasts ("long live the ICE") but momentum is starting to shift. Even Porsche has embraced EVs with the tacan and in 2 years there will be a full EV Macan.

Anyway, getting back on topic, if you want a lot of power, get the GTS. If you are happy with a lightly equipped S, I think that would be the better choice. You'll know after you drive them.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:31 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Air suspension set to LOW makes a big difference in the Cayennes. Just wait till you drive one with Rear Axle Steering. Feels like a Macan.
It's great. I ordered a 2021 GTS and took delivery in November. The best SUV!
Old 02-03-2021, 12:33 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 452 Posts

If you really liked the GTS, you should buy it rather than buy an S and spend the next few years or maybe longer (we keep cars for about 10 years) wishing you had bought the GTS.
Agreed! GTS hands down for me. Especially when compared to other models (base & S) I specified before buying. The not much extra $ is worth it to get a much improved driving experience and GTS specific components.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:41 PM
MFC993
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by joinauto
So you mean the ride is too firm on GTS? I didn't notice it probably because I was too impressed by the overall experience. Will make another trip to the dealership.
No not too firm
I would not trade up to a GTS just for a firmer ride since my set up works fine
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 07:26 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Any thoughts on steering effort on GTS vs S? I spent an hour in one this afternoon and came away with lightly sore forearms. I noticed the same when I bought my 2013 535 M Soort but the steering effort lightened up after a few thousand kilometres.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:27 PM
pbon
Racer

I really like our S. To me, the acceleration is very close to the GTS and it feels less ponderous than the GTS even though it is only a little lighter. Our S has 20” wheels. If the car was for me rather than my wife, though, I would have gotten the Turbo as my first choice and GTS as my second choice.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:51 PM
kayjh
Drifting

I really like our S. To me, the acceleration is very close to the GTS and it feels less ponderous than the GTS even though it is only a little lighter. Our S has 20” wheels. If the car was for me rather than my wife, though, I would have gotten the Turbo as my first choice and GTS as my second choice.
What would lead you to pick turbo over GTS?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:56 PM
pbon
Racer

Power.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S vs GTS