Sponsored By:

Cayenne S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 12:18 AM
joinauto
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pbon
I really like our S. To me, the acceleration is very close to the GTS and it feels less ponderous than the GTS even though it is only a little lighter. Our S has 20” wheels. If the car was for me rather than my wife, though, I would have gotten the Turbo as my first choice and GTS as my second choice.
Yes, power is not much different, but GTS feels much more sporty plus the low-end torque, which is the whole point of GTS. The V8 exhaust note really makes a big difference. I never enjoyed engine noise before, but I did with the GTS V8.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:39 AM
UVXY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a 21 GTS Coupe without test driving it.

My cousin in Vancouver just got his delivered last week, his thoughts:

"I test drove the S, GTS, and Turbo before buying. I was looking for a year-round daily SUV as I sold the G63 because it drives like ****. The S was a hard no for me, not enough character or bite for my liking but it would have been perfect for my wife or mom.

The GTS is the sweet spot of the cayenne line up imo, and I could tell the moment I took the first corner on the big loop onto the highway. Very nimble and precise handling, very surprising for such a "big" and heavy car. And the sound of the engine... wow, very impressive! Many people will be surprised if you let them get behind the wheel of your GTS when you get it... it sits low and drives like a sports car (no, not like a 911 but still way above average handling than other junk out there).

I passed on the turbo because I liked the sound of the GTS more and saved 30-40k -- no brainer for me. Didn't get the lightweight package, I like having quad exhaust pipes at each corner. I'll send you some more pics later, it looks quite menacing in jet black metallic with the black gloss accents, definitely getting a lot of second and third looks when I drive around town (maybe it's because they hear the sound before I get there and are curious to see what it is! Yes the soundtrack is THAT good!!)

Hope this helps! "
Old 02-04-2021, 02:01 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by UVXY
I ordered a 21 GTS Coupe without test driving it.

I passed on the turbo because I liked the sound of the GTS more and saved 30-40k -- no brainer for me. Didn't get the lightweight package, I like having quad exhaust pipes at each corner. I'll send you some more pics later, it looks quite menacing in jet black metallic with the black gloss accents, definitely getting a lot of second and third looks when I drive around town (maybe it's because they hear the sound before I get there and are curious to see what it is! Yes the soundtrack is THAT good!!)

Hope this helps! "
Agreed. The soundtrack is the best OE SUV I have heard in a long time next to the Urus. (CGT, 918, AM V12, 991.2 4.0L are on the list) Hell, the Urus is essentially the same engine.
I ordered my '21 GTS with gloss black rear emblems and flat black PORSCHE letters in the tail light.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 693 Likes on 440 Posts

IMO the 2021 GTS is without a doubt, the way to go. Best bang for your buck in terms of power, as well as in terms of aftermarket results. We have gotten fantastic results out of both, but to me personally, the GTS is on another level.

The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (02-08-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:42 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 735 Likes on 508 Posts

Power.
But where can you use the extra power? I had a GTS out yesterday and passing another car on the highway doing 65 mpg, pressing the gas pedal down about an inch or so yielded warp speed. I think I'd lean towards the turbo as it is more luxury and less raw than the GTS but the $ difference puts it off the list. the reason for me wouldn't be the extra power though. To each his own.
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:13 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I use power pretty regularly and always wish I had a little more. When I drove the GTS, I did not press the accelerator an inch from 65 and feel like I was going warp speed. I booted it to the floor from 65 and held it to just past 110 mph and did not think it was a really quick car though it is certainly quick enough to be entertaining.

Last edited by pbon; 02-04-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:50 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

or expensive.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:26 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 735 Likes on 508 Posts

I use power pretty regularly and always wish I had a little more. When I drove the GTS, I did not press the accelerator an inch from 65 and feel like I was going warp speed. I booted it to the floor from 65 and held it to just past 110 mph and did not think it was a really quick car though it is certainly quick enough to be entertaining.
If that is the case, I'm not sure the turbo will satisfy you either. That's a tough, disappointing spot to be in.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:00 PM
UVXY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
If that is the case, I'm not sure the turbo will satisfy you either. That's a tough, disappointing spot to be in.
He probably will enjoy a Urus imo.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:24 AM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes, life would be simpler if I could tap the gas in a 450 hp SUV that weighs 5000 lbs and feel like I was in a rocket ship. Cheaper, also.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:38 PM
356Fan3
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by joinauto
Yes, power is not much different, but GTS feels much more sporty plus the low-end torque, which is the whole point of GTS. The V8 exhaust note really makes a big difference. I never enjoyed engine noise before, but I did with the GTS V8.
I currently have a 992 C2S as a fun car, looking to replace a sedan with a solid road car. I am on a Cayenne GTS allocation list but realistically at the end of the year or Q1 2023. There are plenty of Cayenne S CPO’s available and I plan to drive one to see how it compares.
My local dealership recently had a CPO GTS at $14k above original sticker, demand is crazy.
I could wait to see what happens with a potential trade and even target a CPO turbo. I am somewhat tempted to also drive an X5M considering the more favorable price point and availability.
Wondering if I should just be patient for the next year.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:47 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 356Fan3
I currently have a 992 C2S as a fun car, looking to replace a sedan with a solid road car. I am on a Cayenne GTS allocation list but realistically at the end of the year or Q1 2023. There are plenty of Cayenne S CPO’s available and I plan to drive one to see how it compares.
My local dealership recently had a CPO GTS at $14k above original sticker, demand is crazy.
I could wait to see what happens with a potential trade and even target a CPO turbo. I am somewhat tempted to also drive an X5M considering the more favorable price point and availability.
Wondering if I should just be patient for the next year.

The S is a beautiful car still with lots of power, but the GTS is a sportier monster that is funner to drive. No comparison, depends on what type of vehicle you are looking for. The X5M is better priced and available for a good reason...
Old 05-13-2022, 11:04 PM
356Fan3
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by othertbone
The S is a beautiful car still with lots of power, but the GTS is a sportier monster that is funner to drive. No comparison, depends on what type of vehicle you are looking for. The X5M is better priced and available for a good reason...
I appreciate the clarity. Looking for an engaging and proper sounding daily. Thanks

Quick Reply: Cayenne S vs GTS