Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How to reset the oil change / service interval notification?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 01:14 PM
motopokep
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I’m not sure I understand the point of this?
​​​​​​

KayJh, many car owners have the skills to work on their cars and enjoy doing it... I would only go to a mechanic for engine failure.
The following 2 users liked this post by motopokep:
black04 (06-14-2024), Stangle (01-31-2022)
Old 05-16-2021, 07:33 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Makes sense for you. But you refer to your “local independent Porsche mechanic”. What makes him a Porsche mechanic? Does he have the tools? If so, he should be able to reset you maintenance minder. If not, he’s no more a Porsche mechanic than the local oil change shop in my opinion.
I had work done at two different Porsche dealerships and another independent shop before finding my current shop specializing in German cars with all the required factory tool sets and diagnostic equipment. I believe I mentioned that they have the required tools in my previous post.

They know me by name and have performed flawless work on my 993 and various Mercedes-Benz for over 20 years. I frequently speak with my Porsche mechanic at the Cars and Coffees and park next to his Porsche 964 which he races. He takes a personal interest in my car and often looks it over and asks me how it is running. No “real” Porsche mechanic from either dealership ever provided that kind of trustworthy service.

So yes, you could say he is a Porsche mechanic.

My post in the 993 forum from 2017:
Originally Posted by Schnave
Auto Haus in Yorktown has worked on my 993 for many years. Everything from mounting tires to dropping the engine and changing the clutch. In fact, I saw a Cayman GT4 in for a DE tech inspection last month. I've tried Checkered Flag in VA Beach, Porsche in Richmond, and Stuttgart Service in Williamsburg. Auto Haus is my recommendation.

Last edited by Schnave; 05-16-2021 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (07-02-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 07:42 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 735 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
I had work done at two different Porsche dealerships and another independent shop before finding my current shop specializing in German cars with all the required factory tool sets and diagnostic equipment. I believe I mentioned that they have the required tools in my previous post.

They know me by name and have performed flawless work on my 993 and various Mercedes-Benz for over 20 years. I frequently speak with my Porsche mechanic at the Cars and Coffees and park next to his Porsche 964 which he races. He takes a personal interest in my car and often looks it over and asks me how it is running. No “real” Porsche mechanic from either dealership ever provided that kind of trustworthy service.

So yes, you could say he is a Porsche mechanic.

My post in the 993 forum from 2017:
Well if he knows your name, that makes all the difference
Old 05-16-2021, 08:15 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts

I’m not sure I understand the point of this? Is it just so you don’t have to look at the maintenance notice? Obviously if you skip service and just reset the minder Porsche will know as they have no record of service being performed. I wonder if you have a failure that could have been prevented by a maintenance inspection, etc., whether Porsche warranty will cover the repair? My dealer quotes $500.00 for the first year oil change, $1,000 for second year oil change, brake fluid change and inspection and $500 for the third year oil change. So, $2,000 for the first 3 years or $1,700 if I buy the service up front. Is that unreasonable? All prices in CAD.

I’ll try to help you understand. The benefit of using a diagnostic tool is multifaceted. You can reset your service remainders rather than traveling each time to your dealership to have it diagnosed. I would assume those folks here on Rennlist resetting service reminders or looking at CEL are folks who enjoy turning some wrenches and/or enjoy learning more about their vehicle and fixing a car issue. In the end, the diagnostic tool and doing your own work may save you some money but cost you your time. The diagnostic tool is required to reset the service interval reminders. You can’t just “reset minder” at the gauge cluster or with PCM without some type of diagnostic tool. You can certainly ignore it though as you said. The added benefits for me also are also researching CEL as my Porsche dealership is two hours from home and I’d like to make any visit to the dealership a productive and efficient one. I can use the autel on other vehicles as well. I can’t comment on your service costs as I use the dollar. Personally, I’d rather have the money in my pocket and pay as needed but lots of opinions on that topic. Good luck. Hope you enjoy your Cayenne.

Last edited by radctt1; 05-16-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:18 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Based on what I just read on the Autel Support Communities forum, after installing the May 1 2021 software update to the Autel MX808, it will no longer reset the Cayenne oil service. One person said that this happens when a manufacturer’s lawyers force Autel to disable the use proprietary software.

I’ve been considering getting an MX808. I’ll be waiting for Autel to get this issue straightened out.

If you’ve got an MX808, don’t install the software update!
Schnave (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 10:03 PM
SlickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Appreciate the heads up! Thank you.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:42 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for heads up as well!
Old 05-20-2021, 02:04 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by radctt1
I’ll try to help you understand. The benefit of using a diagnostic tool is multifaceted. You can reset your service remainders rather than traveling each time to your dealership to have it diagnosed. I would assume those folks here on Rennlist resetting service reminders or looking at CEL are folks who enjoy turning some wrenches and/or enjoy learning more about their vehicle and fixing a car issue. In the end, the diagnostic tool and doing your own work may save you some money but cost you your time. The diagnostic tool is required to reset the service interval reminders. You can’t just “reset minder” at the gauge cluster or with PCM without some type of diagnostic tool. You can certainly ignore it though as you said. The added benefits for me also are also researching CEL as my Porsche dealership is two hours from home and I’d like to make any visit to the dealership a productive and efficient one. I can use the autel on other vehicles as well. I can’t comment on your service costs as I use the dollar. Personally, I’d rather have the money in my pocket and pay as needed but lots of opinions on that topic. Good luck. Hope you enjoy your Cayenne.
I guess we are all different. I love to wrench too, but I get that with my 1976 Triumph TR6. I just pulled the engine, transmission and differential and shipped them to OH for overhaul (no reliable specialty mechanic where I live and I don't have the time to research all of the steps to do it myself). But on the Cayenne, short of doing an oil change and rotating the tires, I wonder how many of us have the tools or knowledge to really get into diagnosing and repairing these advanced cars. If the tool tells you a sensor is "outside the limit" or some other module is malfunctioning, I doubt many of us can fix them safely anyway. And, that is what the warranty is for anyway.

In the end, I just can't see how saving $300 on an oil change which is only needed once a year is going to pay off, but to each his own.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:57 AM
motopokep
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the end, I just can't see how saving $300 on an oil change which is only needed once a year is going to pay off, but to each his own.
You don't see how an extra $200 in your pocket is going to pay off? Oil and filter costs me around $100 for an oil change on the Cayenne. My work is free, plus I make sure to put everything back together carefully, screwing with the right torque, not losing any screws, not scratching my car, etc. Plus when I'm under the car, I can inspect and detect other issues, such as new rust forming, that I immediately remediate. I own 7 vehicles, if I were to take them all to a shop 1-2 times per year for an oil change, that's quite a bit of money. I enjoy doing my own oil changes and other routine maintenance. I also don't trust the shop mechanic to be as careful with my car as I am. I had my car scratched badly at a reputable BMW dealership (when it was under warranty and I took it in for free repairs), it was a huge issue that I had to take up with the manager and they ended up paying for repainting the bumper. In the old days when I wasn't that handy and took my first car to a Toyota dealership for an oil change, they didn't screw in the plastic underbody panel cover all the way in, and when I was traveling on a highway out of state, it came loose, caught the pavement and almost ripped off, I had to pull over on the side of the highway and jury rig it for the rest of the trip. I also never ever use valet parking, I'll drop off my company at the entrance and drive a few blocks to find a good parking spot away from everyone if possible. Also, even at big parking lots, I park as far away as possible, I'd rather walk for a minute then park with everyone by the entrance and come back to see my car scratched and dented and spend a lot more time fixing the damage.
Stangle (01-31-2022)
Old 05-20-2021, 02:47 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by motopokep
You don't see how an extra $200 in your pocket is going to pay off? Oil and filter costs me around $100 for an oil change on the Cayenne. My work is free, plus I make sure to put everything back together carefully, screwing with the right torque, not losing any screws, not scratching my car, etc. Plus when I'm under the car, I can inspect and detect other issues, such as new rust forming, that I immediately remediate. I own 7 vehicles, if I were to take them all to a shop 1-2 times per year for an oil change, that's quite a bit of money. I enjoy doing my own oil changes and other routine maintenance. I also don't trust the shop mechanic to be as careful with my car as I am. I had my car scratched badly at a reputable BMW dealership (when it was under warranty and I took it in for free repairs), it was a huge issue that I had to take up with the manager and they ended up paying for repainting the bumper. In the old days when I wasn't that handy and took my first car to a Toyota dealership for an oil change, they didn't screw in the plastic underbody panel cover all the way in, and when I was traveling on a highway out of state, it came loose, caught the pavement and almost ripped off, I had to pull over on the side of the highway and jury rig it for the rest of the trip. I also never ever use valet parking, I'll drop off my company at the entrance and drive a few blocks to find a good parking spot away from everyone if possible. Also, even at big parking lots, I park as far away as possible, I'd rather walk for a minute then park with everyone by the entrance and come back to see my car scratched and dented and spend a lot more time fixing the damage.
I don't think you are an average car owner with 7 cars, more like a fleet operator. Like I said, to each his own. After spending $140,000+ on a new GTS, I think I'll just let the dealer change the oil the once a year it needs it. They can come pick up the car, service it and return it and in the time it would take me to drive to the dealer (auto store), buy the parts and oil, drive home, jack the car up, do the service and then clean up, I'll just sit at my desk and turn a few thousand in earnings. Let's not forget the cost of the tool to read and reset the maintenance minder. Anyway, enjoy.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:59 PM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Alpine-al, any update on Autel support for oil and service reset support? I could not find the reference you indicated that they do Not support on the Cayenne 9Y0.
Does anyone have a positive experience accomplishing the resets. Waiting to purchase and can't get response from their tech support line. Thanks
Old 06-24-2021, 10:06 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT
Alpine-al, any update on Autel support for oil and service reset support? I could not find the reference you indicated that they do Not support on the Cayenne 9Y0.
Does anyone have a positive experience accomplishing the resets. Waiting to purchase and can't get response from their tech support line. Thanks
On Autel Support Communities forum in May 2021, several people posted that the couldn't reset the oil installing the latest update to thier MX808. Here's snapshot of the last two comments. It appears the "DeZhen" couldn't reset his oil service at first, but then he tried again and it worked.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:13 PM
pmunaga
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have Cayenne 2019 and i'm trying to re-set the oil maintenance indicator. I have few questions
1) When you say connect to internet is it connecting to wifi. I have connected it to my wifi and when I went to re-set maintenance interval it says you have to connect to internet before performing online functions and when I click ok it saying 'Network Data Initializing please wait' and it's keeps on going for 5 mins and says this function is not supported. Can you please help me here. Thank You!
Old 07-02-2021, 05:13 PM
pmunaga
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have Cayenne 2019 and i'm trying to re-set the oil maintenance indicator. I have few questions
1) When you say connect to internet is it connecting to wifi. I have connected it to my wifi and when I went to re-set maintenance interval it says you have to connect to internet before performing online functions and when I click ok it saying 'Network Data Initializing please wait' and it's keeps on going for 5 mins and says this function is not supported. Can you please help me here. Thank You!
Old 08-19-2021, 12:17 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickOne

Boom! Great success!
I just got this and the unit is indicating “function not supported” after trying to connect to network when resetting oil interval.

Could you go over the steps you used? did your unit try to connect to internet for oil reset?

Quick Reply: How to reset the oil change / service interval notification?