Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How to reset the oil change / service interval notification?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 03:47 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Any updates on the latest and greatest scan tool? iCarsoft looks compelling. I would also like to release the brakes for a brake job on my nephew's base Bacon. For me, and my CTT, need for oil etc. Your kind thoughts appreciated...
iCarsoft CR Pro is my target device when the time comes.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:58 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

I have spent hours reviewing the various units, watching YouTube videos and reading. What is consistent is that the performance is inconsistent on all of them.
What I have found thus far:
  1. Very few work on the late model Cayennes
  2. Some you cannot return if they don't work on your car
  3. Support is poor, and ultimately most are made in China, and in the last year quality has gone down on most China products--political sabotage.
  4. Autel in particular now charges a yearly fee of several hundred dollars, BUYER BEWARE.
  5. There are some new entrants where you plug in a bluetooth device and pay for only what you need done; ie, an oil reset costs $17, a steering adjustment $25...
  6. Porsche is not making it easy, if a manufacturer attempts to use anything considered proprietary, well they are on the hit list for a cease and desist. Ironically, fortunately most are from China so they could care less, but it still creates issues in getting updates.
  7. It may work today, but not next time. The update does not always help.
  8. There is no "one answer"
  9. The higher the cost the more the unit can diagnose and possibly adjust, or (not and) the more manufacturers it can service.
  10. Define what you need it for. If you're like me it's oil, maybe brakes and it would be nice to have a little runway for other crap.
If you have a 2019 Cayenne and can share your experience, as of late, please do. I don't think any of us are really looking to spend several hundred dollars a year for small resets, nor do we want Chinese support...

Porsche does fine work on my car, and I am always happy with it. But I am feeling a little raped on minor service items, and those I want to take over...

Last edited by SilverSteel; 06-14-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:34 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I have the iCarsoft Por V3.0 and did the software update. It has worked just fine to reset the service reminder after changing the oil on my ‘22 Base. I’ve now used it twice. I have had a reason to contact them a couple of times about using it on my 997.2 and they have been very responsive by email. I am about to use it this weekend to flush the ABS on the 997.2 now that they have confirmed with my VIN number that it will work. So far at least I’m happy with it for what I need.
The following 2 users liked this post by jtsmith18:
chassis (06-25-2023), SilverSteel (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 04:46 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

JT, have you done brake release for pads and rotor? Not all support that function. Also, SAS for steering wheel adjustment?
Old 06-25-2023, 05:10 PM
kippjones11
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good day. Please advise if the icarsoft POR V3 works on a 2017 971?

I am looking to reset oil, inspection and battery.

Thank you.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:04 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

The iCarsoft doesn’t recognize my 997.2 even if I input the vin. Apparently I need to try the update again which I haven’t done. I used my Durametric instead.
Old 07-13-2023, 01:19 AM
Andy U
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Just want to share my recent experience with the icarsoft POR v3.0. I bought it for a 2013 911 (991.1) and it worked fine to reset the oil service. We are due for an oil change on the 2020 Cayenne in about a month so while still within the Amazon return window I tried it out on the Cayenne. The oil reset does not work.

For the 911, although it pulls up the VIN, it can't find the vehicle so it instructs to ID the car manually for which I picked 991. No problem. For the Cayenne it was very deceptive and I didn't notice until trying it for the third time. The iCarsoft identifies the VIN and presents a screen that shows 2020 Cayenne...but the model name is 9YA. Should be 9Y0. Then just for giggles, I tried selecting the model manually and the latest Cayenne offered in the list is 2018 (9YA). Very sneaky. When I try to reset the oil service anyway, it comes back with "vehicle not supported".Seems scary to me that some people have had success seems random and scary at best.

The unit is going back and I think I'm going to try the Autel MX808 or maybe even the new MX900. For those who are wondering, as of today, the annual subscription for both of these is about $!24/year but the rep today said that oil reset should continue to work beyond the first year without subscription. To be honest, he was a bit cryptic on what would and would not work after the first year.

Why can't this be easier?
Old 07-13-2023, 01:54 AM
PorscheBMW
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy U;[url=tel:18904903
18904903[/url]]Just want to share my recent experience with the icarsoft POR v3.0. I bought it for a 2013 911 (991.1) and it worked fine to reset the oil service. We are due for an oil change on the 2020 Cayenne in about a month so while still within the Amazon return window I tried it out on the Cayenne. The oil reset does not work.

For the 911, although it pulls up the VIN, it can't find the vehicle so it instructs to ID the car manually for which I picked 991. No problem. For the Cayenne it was very deceptive and I didn't notice until trying it for the third time. The iCarsoft identifies the VIN and presents a screen that shows 2020 Cayenne...but the model name is 9YA. Should be 9Y0. Then just for giggles, I tried selecting the model manually and the latest Cayenne offered in the list is 2018 (9YA). Very sneaky. When I try to reset the oil service anyway, it comes back with "vehicle not supported".Seems scary to me that some people have had success seems random and scary at best.

The unit is going back and I think I'm going to try the Autel MX808 or maybe even the new MX900. For those who are wondering, as of today, the annual subscription for both of these is about $!24/year but the rep today said that oil reset should continue to work beyond the first year without subscription. To be honest, he was a bit cryptic on what would and would not work after the first year.

Did you install the latest firmware from iCarsoft? My unit from amazon needed the update before I was able to reset oil or maintenance on my 2019. I was able to read vin and continue through all the steps easily. FYI you can set a date in the past but not the mileage. It will reset 10k/20k to next service once you confirm if you want oil or maintenance. I hope you can get it to work.

They are on sale on Amazon right now for $145. Which is a steal to reset your oil/maintenance light.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Andy U
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I forgot to mention that I did update the software after the first time it didn't work. I'm showing Firmware v23.02 and Porsche v32.60. From your description, it does seem like you are able to go down a different UI path than I saw. I'll hold onto it for a few more days to see if anymore hints come through on what to try!
Old 07-13-2023, 08:03 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy U
The iCarsoft identifies the VIN and presents a screen that shows 2020 Cayenne...but the model name is 9YA. Should be 9Y0. Then just for giggles, I tried selecting the model manually and the latest Cayenne offered in the list is 2018 (9YA). Very sneaky. When I try to reset the oil service anyway, it comes back with "vehicle not supported".Seems scary to me that some people have had success seems random and scary at best.
You may wish to try again and let the scanner proceed with the VIN identification, which was actually correct. A 2020 Cayenne is correctly identified as 9YA. You have the regular SUV, right? A Coupé is a 9YB; we’ll get to that later.

Confused yet? It gets worse!😀 Here we go . . .

The third generation Cayenne was released as a 2018 model year in Europe and 2019 model year in North America. So here in North America (and on this forum) we call this generation 2019+. Occasionally, a European will post about their 2018 here and wrongfully get told to post on the 958.2 forum. Silly Yankees!

So yes, there is a 2018 9YA Cayenne and iCarSoft is correctly listing it as a heading for the category of 3rd Gen Cayenne (9Y0).

The third generation was designated type 9Y0 (Nine Wye Zero) and came in only the SUV body style. When the Coupé was released in 2020 Porsche needed an easy way to differentiate the two. Easy — 9YA for the original SUV and 9YB for the Coupé. When referring to any generic third generation Cayenne, 9Y0 is correct. Not done yet . . .

Another variation you might see is 9Y3, with the “3” referring to the third generation. Some people (mainly Europeans) call the third generation Cayenne a Porsche 536.

So now we have any 2018+ Cayenne may be called 9Y0, 9Y3, or 536. More specifically, 9YA for SUV and 9YB for Coupé.

But what about the 2024 models? Major Porsche updates (not generational changes) use naming convention similar to software. Therefore, some on this forum have and I suspect that Porsche will soon also begin naming the 2024 model the 9Y0.2. This will retroactivity change the 2018-2023 models to 9Y0.1 but only really necessary when referring to features which are different.

Last edited by Schnave; 07-13-2023 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wageslave (07-15-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 09:06 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 574 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy U
Just want to share my recent experience with the icarsoft POR v3.0. I bought it for a 2013 911 (991.1) and it worked fine to reset the oil service. We are due for an oil change on the 2020 Cayenne in about a month so while still within the Amazon return window I tried it out on the Cayenne. The oil reset does not work.

I have the iCarsoft Pro from Amazon and it worked in my 2020 Base with no problems or updates
Old 07-13-2023, 11:53 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
I have the iCarsoft Pro from Amazon and it worked in my 2020 Base with no problems or updates
Watch out with AUTEL, it's a marketing deceptive/scummy company. They don't mention in their sales information, or even talking directly to them, that in addition to stopping the expected software updates, they will disable all your advanced key online based features.. They could provide an online access fee, but they don't want that. They want half the price of your device original cost every year, or your $1000+ device becomes practically useless..

Me and countless other buyers were scammed by AUTEL's deceptive marketing practices.

If you are buying any device that requires online access, i.e. Coding, ECU programming, etc. If you don't pay half the value of your device every year to renew your software updates, all your mayor advanced online features in your device will stop working.. Your $1000+ device becomes a $50 device..

=======

Scam: AUTEL DISABLES ONLINE KEY FEATURES (ECU, Coding, etc) WITHOUT A $595.00 YEARLY SUBSCRIPTION.!!
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on June 18, 2022
AUTEL DECEPTIVELY WILL DISABLE ALL ONLINE KEY FEATURES (ECU, Coding, etc.) WITHOUT A CURRENT SUBSCRIPTION, WHICH COSTS $595.00.!! That's in addition to the expected software updates that is expected.

Below is AUTEL's response on the MK906BT, and where I am not able to use key features any more because it requires an online connection that can happen only with a valid subscription.

From Autel:

"We are really sorry that is Autel's marketing strategy, for all the Autel diagnostic tablets, there are annual fee. Only advanced functions such as ECU Coding/ Programming functions will be limited if not renewed because to code/ program a new ECU, that requires access to Autel online server, if the one doesn't renew the software, he can't access to Autel server data to process the coding or programming. The subscription fee is charged by Autel. "

Last edited by PorscheACC; 07-13-2023 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 11:59 AM
PorscheBMW
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy U;[url=tel:18904995
18904995[/url]]I forgot to mention that I did update the software after the first time it didn't work. I'm showing Firmware v23.02 and Porsche v32.60. From your description, it does seem like you are able to go down a different UI path than I saw. I'll hold onto it for a few more days to see if anymore hints come through on what to try!
I might have some time tonight to make a step by step PDF. You have to do things in an exact order for it to work. If that doesn’t work. You might have an updated ecu or something that blocks products like iCarsoft. I have no idea if that’s an accurate statement but I could see it as a possibility.
Old 07-13-2023, 01:09 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Last week I got the annual update for my Autel MX808 for $74. The update regularly costs $124, Autel has a 40% off sale during the first week of July every year.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:54 PM
cchedges
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Icarsoft v3.0 reset my 2019 Cayenne base service interval with no issues

Quick Reply: How to reset the oil change / service interval notification?