Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 06:15 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

Can you upgrade the 6-piston 390 mm/4-piston 330 mm brakes (which seems to get most of the entries with issues on this post) to what's on the GTS, PSCBs or PCCBs?

Old 12-15-2021, 06:45 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I think we are crossing each other here. More than one person is posting here. Any vibration on the pedal is not normal. I was referring to the groan noise that is shown in the recent videos when you are stationary and start "creeping" forward while riding the brake. I have observed this noise on every Cayenne I test drove (6 I think), from base Cayenne to Turbo, 2019 to 2021, regular SUV to coupe. Every... single... one.... made the noise. It would not annoy me as much because my other cars make much more annoying brake noises and unlike these groin noise those cars brake noise is non stop. You come to a red light and the noise starts from 300-400 ft and everyone stares at you. My GT350 does it. C7 ZR1 does it. GT3RS does it. Steels, ceramics dont matter. Its the aggressive brake pad compound that causes this.
did you have a chance to watch the second video in the #1 post? The car coming to a complete stop makes the noise and the vibration that can be felt by everyone in the car.
The car is not creeping by any means here as you can see from the speedo. I don't know if we were referring to different problem but i am pretty sure Don kim's cayenne would make the same noise coming to a stop (although his videos don't show it)
Old 12-15-2021, 06:52 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by jamtinge
did you have a chance to watch the second video in the #1 post? The car coming to a complete stop makes the noise and the vibration that can be felt by everyone in the car.
The car is not creeping by any means here as you can see from the speedo. I don't know if we were referring to different problem but i am pretty sure Don kim's cayenne would make the same noise coming to a stop (although his videos don't show it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK0i...ture=emb_title
Its impossible to gauge the vibration severity from the video. But the noise (groan) is entirely due to how one applies the brakes and how you have bedded them prior. Let me actually ask you, have the brakes been bedded?
Old 12-16-2021, 09:47 AM
Pushinit
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine has groaned since I bought it at 6000 miles. Now at 30K it has greatly decreased. Still does it but much less noticeable. I normally don't hear it but if I want to I can make it make the sound. It seems like usage/miles is your friend, and then you get to replace them with different ones!
Old 12-16-2021, 10:22 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 717 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Interesting, what year is yours? Mine's a '21 Coupe.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:01 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Right. Times have changed. Used to be that we had to understand cars more than average mechanics these days. I remember most of European countries had minimum 3-6 month driving schools where you have to pass tests around various aspects of the mechanics of the car, driving in various conditions, etc. Here in the states, driver's license may as well be next to the gift cars by Whole Foods cashiers. Drivers are absolutely clueless, most wouldn't even explain how a car engine works short of "igniting gas". Do you know what a camshaft is? Or how a high pressure fuel system operates? You probably dont (and you here isn't the person I quoted, it's a general statement) even know you should never run your turbo charged car's tank less than 1/3 fuel. Want to know what happens to those high pressure fuel pumps when you are climbing a 22 degree hill and jerk the car around? They go bye bye

There is nothing wrong with those brakes. Car has aggressive brakes because its a Porsche. Transmission holds gears and becomes jerky because its a Porsche. It's clear some of these complainers are in the wrong brand. Be honest with yourself, you bought the Porsche because of the status symbol it is not because you are the Porsche enthusiast that Porsche cars were all about (Sorry!).
What the hell are you talking about?! I don't have a noise, nor are complaining about one. LOL

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 12-16-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:57 AM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by abokor;[url=tel:17846262
17846262]Can you upgrade the 6-piston 390 mm/4-piston 330 mm brakes (which seems to get most of the entries with issues on this post) to what's on the GTS, PSCBs or PCCBs?
Here is the answer to my own question:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ature=emb_logo

Not a practical option but interesting to know I suppose.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:53 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Cross posting:

Originally Posted by Schnave
Porsche released an updated Advanced Technical Information document, dated 30 March 2022, addressing brake squeal. It details a new technique that uses a frequency analyzer to help pinpoint the source of the squeal.

Also contains a wealth of technical information on brake squeal causes and fixes. Well worth the read.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...09901-0001.pdf
Old 04-30-2022, 01:17 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
Cross posting:
Given all the customer complaints Porsche seems to get every year, it’s amazing to me it took them until now to issue something like this.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:14 PM
jamtinge
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Guys,
As the op of this thread, i wanted to give you guys a quick update on the situation.
The brake has improved a lot ( in terms of noise & vibration) after the initial break in period (after having the S Brake parts installed), it doesn't bother me any more.
Yes the car still makes the same noise & vibration sometimes, but its got better to a point where i think i can live with the car.
So if you have the same problem, ask Porsche for the brake upgrade and don't give up.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:25 PM
2022AudiS6
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRSQ7
I purchased an 2021 Audi SQ7 a couple months ago and have the same brake crunch noise that so many are experiencing. I believe Audi and Porsche might share some components, maybe same brake pads? Already took car to dealership once and was told the same BS, normal for performance oriented vehicles.

Video1
Video2
I have an Audi S6 and got the same issue but it went away after I started the brakes bedding process.
https://www.autozone.com/diy/brakes/bedding-brakes
Old 07-31-2023, 06:55 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

I wanted to revive this thread to see if there have been any updates in the past year.

I have a 2021 Macan base with 4 piston calipers and it seems to be making a very similar sound when slowing down using a specific amount of pedal pressure.

I had the dealer take a look and went on a test drive with a technician. I was told it was normal and he referenced the issue with Cayennes which brought me here. I was unable to find any other posts or videos about this for Macans and I was told the base loaner I was driving during my service visit had revised pads and/or rotors that prevent it from happening in 2023 model years.

If that's correct I will try the updated hardware when brake service time comes around however I did notice that my brakes have a better bite than the 2023 which may be the trade-off of the more aggressive pad for some of the groaning noise.

I have a lot of experience solving squealing in a variety of high performance brake systems and I'm happy this is not the issue but it seems a hardware change may be the only resolution.

Below are some videos:

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZVR3B3wl0vI?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/r6R-S-LzDM0?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/h0J0iDpzAPQ?feature=share

Last edited by BMinSFL; 07-31-2023 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:13 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
I wanted to revive this thread to see if there have been any updates in the past year.

I have a 2021 Macan base with 4 piston calipers and it seems to be making a very similar sound when slowing down using a specific amount of pedal pressure.

I had the dealer take a look and went on a test drive with a technician. I was told it was normal and he referenced the issue with Cayennes which brought me here. I was unable to find any other posts or videos about this for Macans and I was told the base loaner I was driving during my service visit had revised pads and/or rotors that prevent it from happening in 2023 model years.

If that's correct I will try the updated hardware when brake service time comes around however I did notice that my brakes have a better bite than the 2023 which may be the trade-off of the more aggressive pad for some of the groaning noise.

I have a lot of experience solving squealing in a variety of high performance brake systems and I'm happy this is not the issue but it seems a hardware change may be the only resolution.
My 2019 base Cayenne made a crunching noise when braking but my 2022, now with 18k miles on it, does not make any unusual brake noise (neither squeal nor crunch) and never did. Whatever was wrong back in 2019 seems to have been dialed out. Hope this helps you. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:09 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,089 Posts

When creeping a very low speed with brakes applied, my brakes sound like the first trumpet in the Boston Philharmonic. It doesn't bother me.

I assign the cause to the massive dust-creating factory pads. I intend to do nothing about this except drive and enjoy the Cayenne.

I have grey standard S calipers and factory pads+rotors.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:24 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
When creeping a very low speed with brakes applied, my brakes sound like the first trumpet in the Boston Philharmonic. It doesn't bother me.

I assign the cause to the massive dust-creating factory pads. I intend to do nothing about this except drive and enjoy the Cayenne.

I have grey standard S calipers and factory pads+rotors.
LOL, mine too. Except that it does bother me. Quite a bit. I even had a co-worker comment on it when we pulled up to the parking gate a few weeks ago. She said "why did you honk?". Sounded just like it.

To the OP, I have that same exact sound as both your videos.

@BMinSFL yours sounds a little odd. It's also much faster than when mine hits. I can't make noises at speeds above 3-4 MPH.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brake Noise - is this really normal?