Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Modifying a Cayenne (tune/software)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 12:11 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Default Modifying a Cayenne (tune/software)

I tend to never leave any of my cars completely factory, I prefer putting my own touches on them striving for an OEM+ theme.

Have my allocation secured for the new Coupé Turbo. Went and drove the regular Cayenne Turbo yesterday to get a feel for the car (to make sure the wife loved it, easy sell). Car is absolutely amazing overall, but I can feel the factory tuning/software severely limiting the twin turbo V8. I’m very familiar with this powerplant as its very similar to my Audi S6. With just a tune/software adjustment, this platform really wakes up.

I then had a conversation with our salesman about Porsche and how mod-friendly they tend to be with their customers. Having modified cars of many brands over the years, my experience is that it typically comes down to your relationship with your service advisor/technician/dealership, although the brand does have an impact (Audi is horrible, for example). He did say Porsche doesn’t tend to make a stink if you simply tune the car. When you start modifying tangibles that affect performance, you enter a gray area.

So my question, has anyone looked into software/tuning with this new gen of Cayenne? I only plan to tune the car, nothing beyond. Thanks in advance
Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

I am sure eventually there will be tuners to build performance flashes etc. It is a bit early now. Maybe take a look in the Panamera forum to see if there is something. Since many of the engines are similar, there may be some rumblings of tunes etc.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:56 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I am sure eventually there will be tuners to build performance flashes etc. It is a bit early now. Maybe take a look in the Panamera forum to see if there is something. Since many of the engines are similar, there may be some rumblings of tunes etc.
Great point there, I'll take a look.

I thought the 9Y0 Cayenne Turbos have been available for nearly a year now. When a new Audi model drops, the big tuners usually have a product withing 6 months given they receive the cars a bit before the average consumer. Maybe that doesn't translate to the Porsche brand.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:52 PM
SUPWAGON
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2018 Panamera Turbo and suggest you wait until you get your car. The Panamera has the same engine but with a dual clutch transmission. In sport or sport plus it responsive and have not seen a need for more. I have seen a package for the Panamera, I think Techart, that will boost the HP by 90 up to 640 HP and shaves .2 sec off the 0 to 60 time
Old 04-09-2019, 09:53 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
I thought the 9Y0 Cayenne Turbos have been available for nearly a year now. When a new Audi model drops, the big tuners usually have a product withing 6 months given they receive the cars a bit before the average consumer. Maybe that doesn't translate to the Porsche brand.
Makes sense, but the Turbo has only been available since December of 2018 here in the U.S. and Canada. With North American environmental regulations being substantially different than Europe, I am sure tuners had to start over again when the car finally dropped here.

If you add even more horsepower to the Turbo, you may find yourself launched into orbit quite by accident.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:54 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SUPWAGON
I have a 2018 Panamera Turbo and suggest you wait until you get your car. The Panamera has the same engine but with a dual clutch transmission. In sport or sport plus it responsive and have not seen a need for more. I have seen a package for the Panamera, I think Techart, that will boost the HP by 90 up to 640 HP and shaves .2 sec off the 0 to 60 time
I drove the new Cayenne Turbo last week. And while it's very impressive for an SUV, it left me wanting a bit more. I would never order software/tune without first having the car. I'm gauging the market is all

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Makes sense, but the Turbo has only been available since December of 2018 here in the U.S. and Canada. With North American environmental regulations being substantially different than Europe, I am sure tuners had to start over again when the car finally dropped here.

If you add even more horsepower to the Turbo, you may find yourself launched into orbit quite by accident.
Lol speed is always relative! I have a 750hp Audi sedan so I'm unfortunately a bit numb to factory "high horsepower" cars. I drove the new Cayenne Turbo and it's awesome, but I know the 4.0L twin turbo platform very well (where do you think I get 750hp in my S6 ), and can really feel how conservatively tuned the Cayenne is out of the gate. Knowing there's a lot left on the table from just a software tweak is exciting.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:05 AM
911NV
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a gemballa turbo cayenne and went though u-joints and after about 30k miles I was getting occasional mis-shifts. The tune made the car quicker but not more fun to drive. Ok in a straight line, getting on freeways was crazy fun. Mountain twisties was worse than stock, had to be really subtle with your right foot. It also stuttered abruptly when it dumped boost off throttle. I liked it but didnt love it.

Edit: my tune was installed by porsche dealer
Old 04-11-2019, 08:13 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911NV
I had a gemballa turbo cayenne and went though u-joints and after about 30k miles I was getting occasional mis-shifts. The tune made the car quicker but not more fun to drive. Ok in a straight line, getting on freeways was crazy fun. Mountain twisties was worse than stock, had to be really subtle with your right foot. It also stuttered abruptly when it dumped boost off throttle. I liked it but didnt love it.

Edit: my tune was installed by porsche dealer
That can clearly be attributed to poor software on the poor driving behaviors.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll make sure to avoid Gemballa if they are in the market for the new Cayenne
Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

Interesting comment about it being similar to your Audi. The six cylinder "IS" an Audi engine. However, the V-8 is all Porsche.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:50 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Interesting comment about it being similar to your Audi. The six cylinder "IS" an Audi engine. However, the V-8 is all Porsche.
You should do more research. My S6 has a 4.0L V8 twin turbo...who do you think shares that powerplant?

That V8 isn't all Porsche
Old 04-13-2019, 02:32 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Isn't your version of the 4.0TT rated at something like 450 horsepower from the factory? Impressive that you've increased that by over 60 percent, although if it's mostly by chipping / additional boost, you might want to stock up on head gaskets.

Cool stuff, though. That 750 horsepower you mentioned -- is it at the crank, or wheels? Have you put your car on a dyno to confirm? If so, what's the torque curve look like?

Very cool.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:54 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
That can clearly be attributed to poor software on the poor driving behaviors.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll make sure to avoid Gemballa if they are in the market for the new Cayenne
What tuner on the Audi?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

No need to...we are saying the same thing; Audi makes the 6, Porsche makes the 8. I would not buy a Porsche with an Audi engine, but would consider an Audi with a Porsche engine.

Originally Posted by PTS
You should do more research. My S6 has a 4.0L V8 twin turbo...who do you think shares that powerplant?

That V8 isn't all Porsche
Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Isn't your version of the 4.0TT rated at something like 450 horsepower from the factory? Impressive that you've increased that by over 60 percent, although if it's mostly by chipping / additional boost, you might want to stock up on head gaskets.

Cool stuff, though. That 750 horsepower you mentioned -- is it at the crank, or wheels? Have you put your car on a dyno to confirm? If so, what's the torque curve look like?

Very cool.
The OEM head gaskets are plenty sufficient.

That's correct, rated at 450hp from the factory. The S6/7 are a detuned version of the 4.0L in the RS6/7/S8+ platforms, just a touch higher compression with slighter smaller turbos. Audi tunes the S6/7 very conservatively as to not cannibalize sales of the RS cars, so just a software tweak (which of course will change boost parameters), adds enormous power over factory 575hp 668tq.

Can see APR's (my tuner) numbers here: https://rennlist.com/forums/newreply...ply&p=15776306

My car is considered stage 3, swapping to the RS6/7/S8+ turbos, direct bolt-ons (as easy as an exhaust to install), no cutting, welding, splicing, direct fit. I ran consistent 10.6x @129+ in the 1/4 mile on street tires (michelin PS4s) over 10 times, 7 of which with passengers. The car drives like it does right off the showroom floor with 300+hp added, the tuning by APR is so good.

The 750hp figure is crank. I have dyno'd the car, 678awhp/741awtq...but dynos are useless unless being using to gauge deltas in power between modifications. Point being, my car can make +/- 50hp at two different dynos down the street from each other. Trap speed in the 1/4 mile is the best indicator of power. I trapped 129.97mph at my last outting, car weighs 4550lb with me in it.

Great horsepower calculator here: https://www.ajdesigner.com/fl_horsep...trap_speed.php

Requested torque curve (that peak torque is at 3k RPM ):
View this post on Instagram

1/4 mile run:
View this post on Instagram

Originally Posted by Outlaw
What tuner on the Audi?
APR
Originally Posted by SilverSteel
No need to...we are saying the same thing; Audi makes the 6, Porsche makes the 8. I would not buy a Porsche with an Audi engine, but would consider an Audi with a Porsche engine.
I'm heavily invested in this platform with years of daily forum'ing (that a word?), and that has never been mentioned regarding the 4.0L V8 in the S6/7/ RS6/7 or S8/8+

Do you have a link?
Old 04-16-2019, 04:48 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

PTS, your link for your tuner is a link to your messages.

Whos the tuner?

Quick Reply: Modifying a Cayenne (tune/software)