Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brakes...Does Everyone's Non-Ceramic Brakes Squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 08:20 AM
FAWI
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
I’ve had a 2006 CS since new and my iron rotors have never made a sound. Great brakes. I also have a GTS incoming late Nov delivery w the base brakes, ie, Big Reds. They are bigger than the S brakes but otherwise the same, ie, iron rotors and fixed calipers. If they squeal, I’m not going to be a happy camper. Fingers crossed Porsche has solved this problem otherwise 😡
there are nothing to worry as long as you stay away from PSCB great brake but that whistle and birds sound even without pressing brake is big problem
Old 09-14-2020, 08:14 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FAWI
there are nothing to worry as long as you stay away from PSCB great brake but that whistle and birds sound even without pressing brake is big problem
Almost 4,000 miles on a late '20 S with PSCB and they've been great. Super quite all around, except for some mechanical clicking during parking maneuvers but the clicks coincide with brake pedal interaction. 1,000% better than the '19 base brakes and the extra stopping power is nice to have. The '19 base brakes made the worst noises coming to a stop. I'll never forget the Porsche service guy's rebuttal when I brought her in, "That's what Audi brakes sound like", and he said it with a smile on his face.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:37 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by BeepBeep88
The '19 base brakes made the worst noises coming to a stop. I'll never forget the Porsche service guy's rebuttal when I brought her in, "That's what Audi brakes sound like", and he said it with a smile on his face.
The ‘19 and ‘20 base brakes are awful coming to a stop and even starting out when you take your foot off the brake. The graunching noise they make is very annoying and passengers often comment on my needing to get the brakes fixed. Meanwhile, Porsche (PCNA) refuses to do anything about them. Not getting another Porsche SUV of any kind in the future unless I know for certain their brake problems are resolved.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:22 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I am holding judgement, I have only 2000 miles on my 2020 Cayenne Hybrid without any noise from the brakes whatsoever. I have the PSCB brakes. The crunching noise that some have I do hear sometimes on my 718 GTS, does not bother me as it only happens at the last 6 inches or so coming to a stop. Nothing on my Cayenne. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:09 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by LSR
The ‘19 and ‘20 base brakes are awful coming to a stop and even starting out when you take your foot off the brake. The graunching noise they make is very annoying and passengers often comment on my needing to get the brakes fixed. Meanwhile, Porsche (PCNA) refuses to do anything about them. Not getting another Porsche SUV of any kind in the future unless I know for certain their brake problems are resolved.
I don't blame you at all. The brakes where actually one of the reasons I sold the '19 as well as why I spec'd the upgraded brakes on the '20

Last edited by BeepBeep88; 09-14-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:54 AM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually when a manufacturer switches a supplier e.g. Akebono from Brembo - it is based on cost grounds. Though, of course, it can be technology as well.
In any event, the PSCB system appears to have been "unreif" initially. I would imagine it is already much improved on the current cars.
Biggest regret on an almost $170k Cayenne Turbo build (I don't use night vision, or ACC, or really notice PDCC or the torque vectoring. And the rear A/C is easily controlled from front. Rear axle steering is cool, as is sports chrono (turn toggle to "S" or "S+" please): I did not order PCCB.
If you buy a turbo - order the PCCB.
After several days at the sport driving school in Alabama recently (highly recommended), I would note that all the cars used on track had PCCBs. These included GT4's, Turbo S's and the mainstay 992 S's. The brakes were phenomenal. They did groan under hard braking when coming to a full stop (some of the off-track braking exercises), but there was no untoward noise on track and the performance was excellent. I joked to my wife, remind me to only order PCCB's on any future car I spec. (I have steels on the 991.2 GT3 (they are excellent), and the standard turbo "big reds" on 993 4S (doesn't get driven much, but they work nicely))
In any event, braking performance is part of the essential DNA of a Porsche. We all have long dealt with slightly slower straight line performance, but this was always outweighed by better handling, braking and all round durability.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:46 AM
TempeAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

While PCCB is well known for braking superiority on track, I noted that when I took delivery of my turbo last year at the LA Porsche experience center, the Cayenne Turbo we tracked (hard) was fitted with PSCB, not PCCB.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:28 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeoulFeet
So I filed an arbitration against PCNA and this is how I got to where I am. I recommend doing this. The engineer confirmed it isn’t normal and they are working on the permanent fix. They said the noise will begin after 3500 miles or so. I recommend going this route as it will all be documented. Now that I am in the final leg I already know that if it doesn’t work I can get a buy back.
hoping everything worked out. I had a temporary solution it seems and the sound was 80% better. Took my car in for basic service and they did a brake "recall" service and a week later the noises came back with a vengeance. I'm done. Simply can't deal with this craziness and am going to hire a professional to handle it for me.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:55 AM
Restore
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer was also of no help. The official line was that I have to do some hard stops to bed the brakes; too much city driving. Sure.....
Old 01-08-2021, 04:23 AM
Mohamedbsais
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Sheffield1;15727505]I have had my Cayenne for 10 months and in January the brakes started making an awful noise.
It is not brake squeal as it happens on every wheel rotation but stops when the brakes are applied.
Been in to the local dealer and it is a design fault. Germany know about it but will not give dates for a fix.
It is unbearable and dreadful for a car that cost £90k.
Going legal next week if no response.[/

hi i am lawyer located in tunisia and my tunisian client is facing the same issue since day 1 (july 2018) we changed three times brake pad +front and back disk last week. After 600 miles my client is facing a new différent unpleasant noise from Pscb. We are about to initiate legal action. Could please share with me your expérience on my e-mail : bsais2@yahoo.fr

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brakes...Does Everyone's Non-Ceramic Brakes Squeal?