Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Brakes...Does Everyone's Non-Ceramic Brakes Squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 06:30 AM
Bigfra32
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife's turbo has the brake noise issue as well. If anyone asks I just tell them I've fired Pagid race pads on
Old 02-06-2020, 03:21 PM
MemPorsche
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 17k miles in my 2019 $87k base cayenne and my brakes still grunt at low speeds, all brake pads and calibers were replaced at 10k miles. I took the grunter in for the brake recall and I was told again that it is normal which is BS. I bought my wife a 2020 Mercedes GLS and it is a much better driving SUV, just as quick as my Porsche. The brake noise has prompted me to look for a replacement SUV. I am most likely going back to BMW or buying another Mercedes. Also, the trade in value for this SUV is horrible, I have been offered $56k, 36% depreciation! This is my first and last Porsche!
Old 02-06-2020, 07:17 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Valid point on the brakes, they should be fixed. As far as the trade in value is concerned, 17Kmi is a lot of miles for a 1 year old vehicle, and it is highly optioned for a base: No one wants to pay for options in the secondary market. One can buy a 2020 and easily get an 8% discount on a base, less on a Turbo. Vehicles, unless they are historical or special in some way, are poor investments. You might do better selling privately. Granted, it's a PITA, but you do pay a convenience fee for having someone else to do the work. As far as the BMW is concerned, it does not drive the same as a Porsche -- it's not a substitute. I understand where you're coming from, I've been there -- Porsche is the best for the price point, particularly the base. My wife drives a 2018 X3 M40i with all the options, and it's nice, but Cayennes are far superior IMO. Got a Turbo on order, starts production next week -- twice the price of a base. I understand this to be a money losing proposition, but I intend to enjoy it, and have no illusions about resale value.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:10 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by MemPorsche
I am 17k miles in my 2019 $87k base cayenne and my brakes still grunt at low speeds, all brake pads and calibers were replaced at 10k miles. I took the grunter in for the brake recall and I was told again that it is normal which is BS. I bought my wife a 2020 Mercedes GLS and it is a much better driving SUV, just as quick as my Porsche. The brake noise has prompted me to look for a replacement SUV. I am most likely going back to BMW or buying another Mercedes. Also, the trade in value for this SUV is horrible, I have been offered $56k, 36% depreciation! This is my first and last Porsche!
I have the same issue on my 16k 2019 Cayenne. Over the summer I escalated this with PCNA and I have been advised in writing that Porsche is aware of the problem and engineering in Germany believes they have a fix (new parts) currently being tested. I've been told the ETA for a rollout is by the end of this month optimistically, but it could take a bit longer. If by the end of this month the fix isn't there, I will reach out again to PCNA for an update and report back here.
The following 2 users liked this post by LSR:
George Smooth (02-20-2020), Rich_Jenkins (02-18-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 11:46 AM
YHC
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have 20 base model which I took the delivery in Dec 2019, the actual production date was the end August.
The car was sitting in the dealer lot for two months waiting for replacement of rear axle differential on stop delivery order(WKJ4) from Porsche.
I currently have 1400 miles, but I haven't had any break noise issue at all so far, I don't know if the brake parts were new and improved version.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:10 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Over 12,000 miles on our base Cayenne that we bought in Dec 2018 and it has been glitch free from day one. The brakes have never grunted and rarely squeal.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:54 PM
Stream
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Sorry, you may have misunderstood me. You've got three brake options on the Cayenne:
  1. "Base" brakes: Fixed multipiston calipers with standard cast-iron rotors. They performed great for us (we've had a week each in two loaner MY 2019 Cayennes), didn't make any noise, but did dust to an insane degree. I have a photo or two of a 19" wheel looking grungy after just a few drives by us.
  2. PSCB: New-technology braking system introduced for the first time on the new Cayenne. It stands for Porsche Surface Coated Brakes. You get 10-piston fixed multipiston calipers in the front, four in the rear. The rotors are cast-iron, but coated with a microscopic layer of tungsten carbide. Combined with a special brake pad material, brake dust is reduced by 90 percent or more, with the added braking efficiency of that technology coupled with much larger rotors. Together, they do a good job of looking impressive inside larger 20" or bigger wheels (standard rotors look a little lost, IMHO). But the real trick is how well they perform. We test-drove a base Cayenne with them and were impressed all around. For the street, they're all you need, unless you want to be stupid (we were) with PCCB.
  3. PCCB: The same carbon-ceramics that've been around for years, only massively oversized. Overly expensive and overkill. (That's a lot of overs.) But cool. We upgraded from standard PSCB on our Turbo to PCCB because there was / is a shortage of PSCB due to a fire in the factory that produces them. We didn't want to take a chance on having our build pushed back.
Our PCCBs have been mostly silent. I've had a few little squeaks and squeals in high-humidity driving after the car has been parked wet for several hours. But the noise went away quickly after an aggressive stop. Highly recommended if you want the absolute best brakes Porsche offers. But as I said, they're way over-the-top for almost any driving conditions.

I have read reports of PSCB noises from several owners here, though. You might check yourself, but I remember once Rennlister reporting Porsche is working on a fix. Another took his to the dealer, who addressed some misaligned pistons, I think.
I love Carbon Ceramic brakes so much, that I retrofitted them to my 2019 SL450. I have almost zero squealing. I got them 90% for the zero dust and 10% because they are very cool looking. This is a car that I drive very little and the brakes will probably outlast my ownership. My question here is, how many city/highway miles do we think a PCCB equipped Cayenne might get before the discs need to be replaced and what might a brake job like that cost? I realize it has a lot to do with the driver and how aggressively the vehicle is driven, but for now, let’s just consider your average, middle aged, SUV driver.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:30 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by MemPorsche
Between the brake noise and dumb *** implementation on our ‘19 Cayenne, I wish I could roll back the clock and have our 2018 Lexus RX350 back.

How do y’all like the GLS?

I’m going to go search to see what aftermarket pads are available. By this point I’m hoping Ate or EBC or Zimmerman have some better performance options.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins

I’m going to go search to see what aftermarket pads are available. By this point I’m hoping Ate or EBC or Zimmerman have some better performance options.
Well I am a bit surprised but I can't find anything other than OEM parts for a '19-'20 base Cayenne. I tried both Pelican and fcpeuro, as well as Sunset and Suncoast Porsche. Same for Ate / EBC / Zimmerman.

If anyone locates an option for front pad upgrades, please post back.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:35 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Stream
I love Carbon Ceramic brakes so much, that I retrofitted them to my 2019 SL450. I have almost zero squealing. I got them 90% for the zero dust and 10% because they are very cool looking. This is a car that I drive very little and the brakes will probably outlast my ownership. My question here is, how many city/highway miles do we think a PCCB equipped Cayenne might get before the discs need to be replaced and what might a brake job like that cost? I realize it has a lot to do with the driver and how aggressively the vehicle is driven, but for now, let’s just consider your average, middle aged, SUV driver.
First -- that is one sharp-looking Merc. Very cool.

Second, do a search here regarding PCCB rotor lifespan. I spent a few hours doing just that before making the jump. The consensus among actual long-term PCCB owners here in the 911 forums point toward 200K-plus miles -- maybe more, perhaps MUCH more -- in regular daily driving. One Rennlister said he was at 300K miles as a long-term daily driver, and the rotors still had plenty of life. (Wear is gauged by weight, not by rotor thickness, on carbon-ceramics. That's why the factory weight of each individual rotor is stamped on the hat. Identical rotors each have a unique weight.)

Track use can burn them up quickly, which was a surprise to me. Many PCCB owners do a cast-iron swap for track days, then put their PCCBs on for street use. You can understand why. The rotors are $5K-plus each. A full brake job might hit $25K. Pads are no more expensive than standard brake pads, and wear at about the same rate.

BTW, my wife and I are average, middle-aged drivers too. We've got about 12K on her Turbo. The rotors still look brand new. Cracked-mirror glaze is fully intact.

Love 'em. Were they not a $10K option on the 992, I'd option them for my upcoming order. That's a bit too much in my book.
The following users liked this post:
Stream (02-23-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 05:22 PM
Gravistar
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by Gravistar; 02-24-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:56 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravistar
After just swapping from a standard brake 2020 cayenne to a PSCB equipped one, I can't believe how much bigger the callipers and discs are. Even with 22inch rims the rotors and callipers seem to take up all the space in the wheel. Not sure if they have different sizes for different specced wheel diameters, interesting to know 'cos they barely fit as is.
PSCB / PCCB require 21" wheels at a minimum. You'll get the same size rotors no matter what wheel you option.

PSCB rotors are 16.4" in front and 14.1" in back, clamped by 10-piston and 4-piston calipers, respectively. PCCBs are even bigger at 17.3" in the front and 16.1" in the rear. The fronts are actually the largest production car rotor made today, also installed in the Urus and Bentayga, RS6 Avant, Taycan Turbo S, and I am sure one or two in the VW family I have missed. I can't squeeze a towel between the outside of the front caliper and the wheel barrel on our 2019 Turbo with 21" wheels. Those yellow calipers and oversize rotors are the most commented-on feature about our Cayenne by far.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:47 PM
haneyrm
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was finally able to solve my brake squeal issue this weekend. Got up Saturday morning, went to my local dealer and traded my 2019 Cayenne for a Macan Turbo. Brake issues gone, can control stereo and media from steering wheel and the technology in this vehicle works as it should. Very disappointed in my Cayenne experience but pleased to be back in a Macan.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:12 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Can someone check me on this pad set to see if it would fit a 2019 Cayenne base front caliper?https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...engine-type/v6
Old 02-23-2020, 03:53 PM
Stream
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
..........My recommendation: Spring for PSCB.
In relatively easy, absolutely unaggressive, no “riding the brake pedal,” in town driving, do we have any idea how many miles one might get out of a set of PSCB? And then, when a brake job is needed, do we have any idea as to the cost of PSCB pads & rotors? Thinking of ordering them on a new Cayenne.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Brakes...Does Everyone's Non-Ceramic Brakes Squeal?