PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011 CAMSHAFT BOLT FAILURE $35,199.00

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:47 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by edmtwentyone
I'm going to tell them I want interest on my expenses too.
Seriously?
Old 07-13-2017, 03:39 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by edmtwentyone
I just got off the home w/ Porsche NA customer service. They haven't finalized the notice I guess but I told them I'm here reporting the issue and standing w/ my hand out expecting a refund. She is supposed to email me a form and I'll need to submit w/ proof of the repair and expenses. Glad I have 19 pages of emails documenting it, a 16 page repair estimate showing all the total parts, and a 12 page invoice where each and every engine part is condensed to one unit cost.

I'm going to tell them I want interest on my expenses too.
$7,500 @12 months(?) x .01% (BOA interest rate)=$75

Seems like a hill to die on 🙃
Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
New engine looks stunning.
Thanks, I pulled the valve covers from my spare motor and asked Porsche to swap them out during the final stages.

Originally Posted by porscheman170
Wow that looks amazing! Nice job.
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by 125shifter
Damn that looks good!

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Ditto for me.. I'm only out about $3,000, but it would be nice to have that back...
I dare you... LOL
Old 08-11-2017, 04:43 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I have a feeling that the affected vin range doesn't quite cover all those that are truly affected.
My Haney, you are correct. My service advisor and PNA both confirmed that my vin is not covered under the NHTSA recall. I have a 2011 Cayenne TT.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:44 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
My Haney, you are correct. My service advisor and PNA both confirmed that my vin is not covered under the NHTSA recall. I have a 2011 Cayenne TT.
Does it have the "bad" bolts? If so - I'd be contacting NHTSA and asking why it isn't included. Or was it already covered under WC-22 in the past? That did cover a very limited number of 2011 Cayenne TT's.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:07 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Does it have the "bad" bolts? If so - I'd be contacting NHTSA and asking why it isn't included. Or was it already covered under WC-22 in the past? That did cover a very limited number of 2011 Cayenne TT's.
When I purchased the car, June 2016, I had my SA run the vin to see if there was a campaign for the bolts. None then. This morning when my SA called me to let me know my car was ready, I inquired about the VC bolts and to se if my vin was included. He said it wasn't. I then made a call to PNA and they confirmed that my vin is not included under the new recall.

They said that my car is an early, build May 2010, and that the part used may not be the one that's prone to failure.

I'm going to take another look at the bolts with my dental mirror and see what exactly is going on and just may take your advice and call the NHTSA
Old 08-15-2017, 01:40 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh #@$% i'm just now hearing about this?

Without reading 37 pages on the other thread, how do I find out if mine have been replaced? I bought my 958 CTT early 2016 and according to that other thread there was a service bulletin way back in 2014 so I should be safe, right? Naw I don't trust the porsche dealer I bought it from, found out other shady things about the car after purchase, how do I check if the bolts were replaced?
Old 08-15-2017, 01:43 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

is this the same thing?

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...cam-bolts.html

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts
Big News! Porsche has issued a recall on the variocam bolts. Thank you NHTSA!

June 7, 2017 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 17V368000
Camshaft Controllers may Loosen and Fail
An engine stall can increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V368000

Manufacturer Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Components ENGINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 17,986

Summary
Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain 2010-2012 Panamera S, Panamera 4S and Panamera Turbo vehicles, 2011-2012 Panamera and Panamera 4 vehicles, and 2011 Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo vehicles. The affected vehicles have camshaft controllers that may come loose inside the engine, potentially resulting in an engine stall.

Remedy
Porsche will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fastening screws for the camshaft adjusters, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Porsche customer service at 1-800-767-7243. Porsche's number for this recall is AH08.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:12 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Yes.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:14 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by boxsternewbie
oh #@$% i'm just now hearing about this?

Without reading 37 pages on the other thread, how do I find out if mine have been replaced? I bought my 958 CTT early 2016 and according to that other thread there was a service bulletin way back in 2014 so I should be safe, right? Naw I don't trust the porsche dealer I bought it from, found out other shady things about the car after purchase, how do I check if the bolts were replaced?
You never mention the year of your CTT. If it's a 2016 it isn't included and has adequate bolts already.

BTW: It's not as if this was hidden from you - it's a sticky at the top of this forum. And how do you check if the bolts were replaced - I'd suggest a bit more reading. I'm not repeating what has been explained on this forum about 6 times on how to check the bolts, complete with photos..
Old 11-14-2019, 09:07 PM
Pttk
Intermediate

Default Porsche Cayenne 2011 - another customer with problems

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
So I wanted to tell my story here and so I can keep everyone in the loop.

BEFORE YOU BUY A PORSCHE CAYENNE 2011 2012 TURBO OR CAYENNE S PLEASE READ THIS AS IT IS UPDATED.

I recently took my personal 2011 Cayenne Turbo into an indy shop for what I wanted to ID as a loss of boost issue, after 2 visits and many replacement parts that was getting close to the 2K marker I finally DROVE IT IN as I had on the previous 2 occasions. This time I didn't bug then over needing my vehicle since I just wanted them to find the problem and not have to return.

Well I finally call and start asking questions 3-weeks after my car has not been returned or no calls, I finally get a hold of the owner who says that he had the car running and it was running great, during the test drive (only 5-miles were documented since it was left there 3-weeks prior) the engine blew. I was told that it was the infamous CAMSHAFT ADJUSTER SCREWS that broke, well I was then told that it was best if I could get it over to PORSCHE so possibly they would make the repairs under good faith since it just went out of warranty within the year.

Well after a few days and a few calls I get a $3,000 credit towards the repairs authorized from PORSCHE.

I have a 135K paper weight that I can't do anything with until I foot the bill of $35,199 (the estimation for the repairs to be made).

1. I wasn't the driver when the engine blew, the indy shop was "test driving it when it blew".
2. This is a well documented issue with PORSCHE and they have even started a "campaign" an other smooth word for "recall" due to this issue.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...a-on-camshaft-

I will keep you all posted on what comes of this ordeal, I just wanted to reach out and ask anyone here first off (LEGAL ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED) as to: A. is the indy shop responsible for any of this? B. Is PORSCHE responsible, of a know defect in these aluminum bolt failures?

Last has anyone pursued any claims against PORSCHE for this same issue OUT OF WARRANTY covered, I know many of you have had replacements under warranty but mine is out so if you have an out of warranty feedback that would be best.

BY THE WAY, I'M NOT WAITING FOR PORSCHE TO MAKE A MOVE, I'VE ALREADY PURCHASED A REPLACEMENT ENGINE THAT I INTEND ON GETTING INSTALLED VERY SOON. (GOOD IS THAT IS HAS ONLY 27K) (BAD IS THAT EVERYTHING IS OUT OF POCKET TILL I CAN'T GET THIS ISSUE RESOLVED)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,
My Cayenne S 2011, have the same problem :

An unpresentable fault for vehicles of this level

PTTK
Old 11-15-2019, 11:23 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Wow. First time I have seen photos of failed bolts. Looks like you found the heads. Are all pieces accounted for?

Looks like you may have saved the engine from further damage. I see some clocking at the interface and hopefully no or minimal damage.

What is your servicing plan?
Old 11-15-2019, 04:07 PM
Pttk
Intermediate

If indeed we found all the remains of screws, 2 were broken. Apparently there is no more damage.

I was out of LOCAL warranty, but I understand within the global warranty.

Today talk with the local dealer, they are evaluating the issue, obviously something they want to charge.

PTTK
Old 11-15-2019, 05:50 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Pttk
....I was out of LOCAL warranty, but I understand within the global warranty.

Today talk with the local dealer, they are evaluating the issue, obviously something they want to charge. PTTK
If you sense resistance, give them (Porsche Headquarters and your dealer) the address to this thread, point them to these latest posts and ask them, "Well, how do you want this to end, and what do you want me to say about it?"

No matter what happens, you have got my vote as "luckiest Cayenne owner for 2019". Still...Wow.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Pttk
Intermediate

Thank you very much, united consumers will never be defeated.

By the way TODAY I sent you the links of all the forums where I published the case

Quick Reply: PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011 CAMSHAFT BOLT FAILURE $35,199.00