Sponsored By:

PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011 CAMSHAFT BOLT FAILURE $35,199.00

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:54 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
and what would you put in the column of complaint...........i own a car that is okay but bolts could fail ?
I did. And I referenced the threads on various forums. I also included a copy of WC-22. I was later contacted by an NHTSA investigating engineer for more details.

I also pointed out that I had the adjusters replaced at MY expense since I was that concerned about the safety issues.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:01 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are you expecting a check from porsche ?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:49 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I have a feeling that the affected vin range doesn't quite cover all those that are truly affected.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 203 Posts

So reading through this horror story and the 28 page thread on this same topic on 6SpeedOnline while at work this morning (it's a slow day in the markets ....), my paranoia got the best of me so I nipped off to CVS to buy a dental mirror to check my bolts after work ..... I've got a '12 Cayenne S (build date 09/11), so I'm right on the edge of the dates that I've seen associated with the faulty bolts. I'll know more this afternoon, but in the meantime I'm thinking that 8 bucks for the dental mirror for a DIY check is a better use of my time and resources than getting the runaround at the Stealership! And I get the tongue scraper and dental pick as an added bonus

Old 04-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I have a feeling that the affected vin range doesn't quite cover all those that are truly affected.
I think this is a very true statement....

I can't yet spill the beans but I will update you all when it is appropriate.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:13 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very sorry to hear your story. I agree with some of the comments here and your plan - talk to whomever at the highest level with PCNA you can get to and explain the situation in a calm and logical manner, bring a printout of the 6speed thread and any other supporting material and try to get PCNA to offer assistance in your costs. You may have to do the dance several times before you get to the proper person. At some point you may feel compelled to offer up a compromise to the cost, that is up to you but I'd definitely try to get them to cover it 100% given the data and known issue. Keep it all documented and as detailed as possible even if they just ignore you. If you need to go the attorney route, that documentation will be vital.

I doubt I've suggested anything here that you have not already thought of or done. Good luck and please do post updates if able to do so.

PS - I think you have a better chance in getting PCNA to help than to get the indy shop to pay for some or all the cost(s), but you should reserve the right to seek recovery of some form of compensation from them as well. There is a bit of a question in that timeline as well - when it happened and when did you become informed, that sort of thing. Perfect coincidences are usually not so perfect.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Very sorry to hear your story. I agree with some of the comments here and your plan - talk to whomever at the highest level with PCNA you can get to and explain the situation in a calm and logical manner, bring a printout of the 6speed thread and any other supporting material and try to get PCNA to offer assistance in your costs. You may have to do the dance several times before you get to the proper person. At some point you may feel compelled to offer up a compromise to the cost, that is up to you but I'd definitely try to get them to cover it 100% given the data and known issue. Keep it all documented and as detailed as possible even if they just ignore you. If you need to go the attorney route, that documentation will be vital.

I doubt I've suggested anything here that you have not already thought of or done. Good luck and please do post updates if able to do so.

PS - I think you have a better chance in getting PCNA to help than to get the indy shop to pay for some or all the cost(s), but you should reserve the right to seek recovery of some form of compensation from them as well. There is a bit of a question in that timeline as well - when it happened and when did you become informed, that sort of thing. Perfect coincidences are usually not so perfect.
Yes sir, you are on point with your thinking.... thinking 5-steps ahead and being in this business allows me to have the chain of command on tap, meaning that I have the next in line to get involved should my pleads go unaddressed.

BTW: I will be keeping my failed motor preserved should the "anyone" helping resolve this matter in a formal setting would like to see what a 550-lbs paper weight looks like. I will be certain to have an ex-employee of Porsche also show up and identify failures and offer expert testimony on the matter..
Old 04-11-2017, 07:22 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 668 Posts

subscribed. {& no, my 2012 born in June '12 CTT is not aluminum camshaft adjuster bolts}...

Sounds like you are on the right track with approach(es). Keep us informed.

Oh, and coming from someone who is also out of warranty by 10 months, but just today was given the freebie of a full transfer case replacement,.. I would say that when you find your advocates, stroke them kindly & beg their involvement.

GL,
=Steve
Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I would think that if you had to replace and pay for the engine yourself you could repair what you have for far less than 35k'ish. Theoreticly the damage should be limited to valves/valvetrain , piston tops. I really feel for both you and the indy and I'm sending some positive energy your way.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:42 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

So the $8 dental mirror paid off .... Checked the bolts before my drive home this evening and as far as my old man eyes can tell, these are the dark bolts with NO pin in the middle but I'm hoping the experts on this thread can confirm..... TIA for your help to calm my paranoia about these friggin' bolts

Old 04-12-2017, 02:35 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
So the $8 dental mirror paid off .... Checked the bolts before my drive home this evening and as far as my old man eyes can tell, these are the dark bolts with NO pin in the middle but I'm hoping the experts on this thread can confirm..... TIA for your help to calm my paranoia about these friggin' bolts
They look fine to me. No center pin. Right color. Good to go!
Old 04-12-2017, 10:39 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
They look fine to me. No center pin. Right color. Good to go!

Awesome, thanks Don... now I can focus on the REALLY important stuff, like Platidipping my rear badges
Old 04-12-2017, 03:12 PM
keresks7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 Cayenne S just failed this past weekend in the middle of the highway with 60/70 MPH. I started loosing power, and the PSM Failiure light came up. Luckily I was able to pull to the side in the service lane. The car couldn't start. It was towed and then the whole fiasco around the engine. The more i dug into it the more i learned and the more it sounded like the camshaft failing bolts.
My car was one of the first month's production, so exactly the batch with the aluminum bolts.
I have had the check-engine light come up numerous times. I did recently change the fuel pump for a cost of about 1k for the actual replacement + additionally for the labor.
Then the check engine light came up again. It was never/EVER mentioned anything about the camshaft etc.
A true disaster. I am starting the process.
I will investigate further and will update.
I am the first owner, the car has always been under a perfect care, always oil change on time, anything needed always on time. I don't care as much on the outside looks of the car, it's a nice car anyways, but I do care a lot about the heart and the sole of the car a.k.a the engine.
It was a total surprise how a car that has 54k miles and has been under great care, failed like this in the middle of the highway. I had a little child and another adult in the car at the time. It could have been an ugly fatal situation if I didn't react and stop on time. Luckily the break didn't fail.
My car is no longer with warranty, but this is irrelevant, because the problem is totally Porsche's and they know it well.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:21 PM
keresks7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 Cayenne S just failed this past weekend in the middle of the highway with 60/70 MPH. I started loosing power, and the PSM Failiure light came up. Luckily I was able to pull to the side in the service lane. The car couldn't start. It was towed and then the whole fiasco around the engine. The more i dug into it the more i learned and the more it sounded like the camshaft failing bolts.
My car was one of the first month's production, so exactly the batch with the aluminum bolts.
I have had the check-engine light come up numerous times. I did recently change the fuel pump for a cost of about 1k for the actual replacement + additionally for the labor.
Then the check engine light came up again. It was never/EVER mentioned anything about the camshaft etc.
A true disaster. I am starting the process.
I will investigate further and will update.
I am the first owner, the car has always been under a perfect care, always oil change on time, anything needed always on time. I don't care as much on the outside looks of the car, it's a nice car anyways, but I do care a lot about the heart and the sole of the car a.k.a the engine.
It was a total surprise how a car that has 54k miles and has been under great care, failed like this in the middle of the highway. I had a little child and another adult in the car at the time. It could have been an ugly fatal situation if I didn't react and stop on time. Luckily the break didn't fail.
My car is no longer with warranty, but this is irrelevant, because the problem is totally Porsche's and they know it well.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

keresks7 - sorry to hear that. Get back to us when the diagnosis is confirmed. And DO please read the other threads for how to report this to NHTSA/DOT if you're in the US. You might stress the situation it occurred under and the danger it presented to you and your loved ones.

Good luck, and please do report back..

Quick Reply: PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2011 CAMSHAFT BOLT FAILURE $35,199.00