Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PCNA Says They'll Deny Warranty Work Until Diesel Fix is Performed???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:19 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default PCNA Says They'll Deny Warranty Work Until Diesel Fix is Performed???

I have a service appointment tomorrow with my 2013 CD. An oddity with the TPMS and a persistent window issue (see link below) are to be addressed. My extended warranty expires on October 31st, so I have been efforting to get all possible ongoing matters resolved prior. Around 3:30p CT, this afternoon I receive a voicemail from my service advisor reporting that Porsche Cars North America Warranty Department has communicated that they will not be processing any further warranty claims until the vehicle is back in "compliance" and the emissions recall has been done... he then offered that I could reschedule, but until that recall has been done, they could not do any more warranty work.

I immediately called my advisor back and suggested that this does not sound right to me. The warranty is the warranty and is in no way conditioned upon receiving the emissions fix. Futhermore, it is entirely my prerogative whether I even want to have the fix performed at all. He replied that it was his understanding that the EPA was requiring that all vehicles "comply" and have the fix performed. My vehicle was initially sold in Canada, and thus subject to the Canadian class action process. I only just received my offer letter in June and decided that I'd rather drive my Cayenne in it's un-neutered state for a few more months and also maximize the post-fix warranty.

I asked how this had all been communicated to him and requested specific contacts. He stated that it had been conveyed through their internal service software and gave me two names to talk with at the PCNA Warranty Department-- who I could reach at 1-800-PORSCHE. Since it was approaching 5p in Atlanta I hurriedly called and reached a helpful women at the general Porsche Contact Center. I explained what I had been told, she responded that this doesn't sound right to her at all and I suggested that I conference in my service advisor. After reaching him, he repeated what he had told me earlier and the PCNA rep replied that she would be looking into this and promised to call me by the end of the day tomorrow.

Am I wrong? Is the "goodwill" warranty that was extended for CD's conditioned upon having the fix performed?

Am I required to have the fix done at all, in order to "comply"?

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...sue-video.html
Old 08-28-2018, 09:49 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Not in the US, at least. It was offered unilaterally and without condition.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:08 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

My car was originally sold in Canada, but I live in and have had it serviced for as long as I’ve owned it at a Porsche dealership in the USA.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:34 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

While not directly related, I posted this in the Dieselgate thread:
"Here is the issue, Porsche has two different dates for our Cayenne, everyone has an In-Service date and a warranty expiration date. These should be the same date with the years reflecting the time spread the warranty is in effect. As we bought ours new we should get the original warranty and the added on extension.
In Porsche's record our In-Service date is correct, our warranty expiration date expired one month early. Just suggesting that folks here verify with their dealer the dates. We had a couple of nits that we waited to get resolved - our dealer discovered the issue and is working with Porsche to resolve the dates. In the interim dealer said they would take care of us regardless which is very nice!"

Wonder how much pressure PCNA is feeling to get the court mandated 85% of the fleet 'fixed'.
We are not getting ours 'fixed' until issues documented widely are resolved.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:46 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Originally Posted by RS-America
Wonder how much pressure PCNA is feeling to get the court mandated 85% of the fleet 'fixed'.
We are not getting ours 'fixed' until issues documented widely are resolved.
I had sort of stopped following the whole Diesel-Gate... and can't say I ever paid attention regarding the 85% mandate. Could this be why PCNA is attempting to pressure me into having the fix completed?

I am correct that I don't HAVE to have the fix done, right? It's my vehicle. It's my prerogative to do it and take their hush money or not, right?
Old 08-29-2018, 04:18 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

In the US, the answer would be yes. But for a Canadian vehicle, you may need a lawyer to get a solid answer on that one.

Of course, after the program is over, states can refuse to register an non-compliant vehicle.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:12 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

Originally Posted by skiahh
In the US, the answer would be yes. But for a Canadian vehicle, you may need a lawyer to get a solid answer on that one.

Of course, after the program is over, states can refuse to register an non-compliant vehicle.
The PIG has been in and registered in the US for 4+ years.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:19 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Yes, but as it was sold as a Canadian vehicle, Canadian consumer laws and warranty might govern things, regardless of where it currently lives and is registered.

And if Canada allows requiring the fix before performing future warranty work, you just might be stuck with that.

I am only speculating, as I do not know for sure, so it might be worth talking to an expert, like a lawyer or something.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:23 AM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

what is wrong with having the emissions fixed and having a cleaner running car?

One reason ive always questioned diesels.. people buy them 100% for the mileage and torque... 0% for being cleaner.. and if you have to call it clean diesel then you know what that means.

phil.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:56 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by element

One reason ive always questioned diesels.. people buy them 100% for the mileage and torque... 0% for being cleaner.. and if you have to call it clean diesel then you know what that means.

phil.
Some people feel that the transmission behavior along with the engine, should be performing as they had before the vehicle was modified or, they don't want to lose that behavior and are willing to pollute more to keep it.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:49 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
Some people feel that the transmission behavior along with the engine, should be performing as they had before the vehicle was modified or, they don't want to lose that behavior and are willing to pollute more to keep it.
In addition to fact that CAFE standards that are bogus and arbitrary; and the desire to own a Porsche for what Porsche do best, not some govt level of castration.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:52 PM
PORSCHEJAYHAWK
Instructor

UPDATE: Received a call from PCNA this morning confirming that my warranty is in full affect until 10/31/2018 regardless if I complete the fix or not. Thank you to all for reinforcing what I thought to be the case.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:47 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by element

phil.
Spoken like a true Seattle-ite.

What's wrong with having the vehicle I paid for? What's wrong with having a modern vehicle, rather than something that runs like a 80s vintage Mercedes 300D?

Yes, we buy them for the mileage and torque. If I'm burning 30% less fuel for the same distance, doesn't that help with reducing burning carbon, overall? Oh, and why not go after things like trains and maritime vessels; it's been reported the 15 or 16 biggest ships in the world emit as much NOx as ALL the cars in the world, each year. Seems like a misplaced effort... though if you "follow the money", you can figure out why the EPA and CARB, specifically, went after VAG.

If I'd wanted to joint the "prius brigade", I'd have bought a damn pruis!

Last edited by skiahh; 09-02-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:30 PM
BigRed911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The tree huggers are too funny. Take E85 or E10 gas. Ethanol reduces mileage so you must burn more to go the same distance. Not to mention the extra cost for ethanol.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:06 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed911
The tree huggers are too funny. Take E85 or E10 gas. Ethanol reduces mileage so you must burn more to go the same distance. Not to mention the extra cost for ethanol.
Trying to skirt this turning into a political thread - but ethanol is now all about large corporate farmers growing corn profitably and increasing the demand for the corn-derived alcohol. In crossing the US multiple times in the past 50 years - there used to be a variety of crops in the middle flat states - I'd have to guess it's more than 70% corn now. Endless miles of cornfields - now strangely many having wind turbines amongst the corn.

Quick Reply: PCNA Says They'll Deny Warranty Work Until Diesel Fix is Performed???