Sponsored By:

Good diesel app finder

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:00 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good diesel app finder

Driving from Mass to Fl with my wife's 14 CD. Is there a good app that finds diesel stations that sell diesels at the 15 ppm sulfur
requirement. I know "truck" stops usually do not sell the 15 ppm diesel fuel.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:05 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Gas buddy app
Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx was unclear from their website that they found diesel, I'm assuming it's the 15 ppm stuff.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:52 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
Driving from Mass to Fl with my wife's 14 CD. Is there a good app that finds diesel stations that sell diesels at the 15 ppm sulfur
Virtually all diesel fuel sold in the US is ULSD (<15ppm). Even the off-road stuff is now ULSD. Not sure what truck stops you are referring to as they all should be selling the ULSD. Howeever some truck stops might have the larger nozzles that won't fit into our filler tube but it's the same fuel.

Last edited by GrandPaJohn; 12-28-2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: adding text
Old 12-28-2017, 07:36 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I use GasBuddy. It appears to me that it finds diesel but does not discriminate as to what kind. It only shows price, location and brand.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:50 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
It's ULSD and it's what you'll find at virtually EVERY single diesel pump in the US. And they are plentiful, too... no app needed.

Truck stops absolutely sell the ULSD fuel. They are required to; it began phasing in in 2006 and it's all you can find now for on road applications. Not sure who's giving you your diesel info, but they're wrong. As noted by GrandPa, truck filling pumps have huge nozzles and won't fit into the CDs filler opening. But I've driven all over the country in diesel vehicles (pickup that can use the truck nozzles, an E320 and the CD) and haven't come upon a single truck stop that didn't have auto diesel pumps, too.

Just go. Buy your fuel from busy stations. You'll be fine. But... as you head back to MA, make sure you get northern fuel in your tank before parking it in cold temps. Run it almost out and then fill up somewhere NJish or north to make sure you get winterized fuel. Not sure where the cutoff is for southern state.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:59 PM
importtuner
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 71 Posts

For diesel owners, are there certain blends of diesel to look out for depending on the weather? If I go thru with the CD purchase this weekend, it would be my first diesel. I do remember hearing about cold weather and diesel. We're now entering minus temps where I live now.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:32 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

If you live in northern locations, they change the fuel over sometime in Oct-ish. If you track your MPGs, you'll notice it by a drop of 1-2 MPGs... or an increase by about a dime in price (given otherwise stable prices).

If you live where it's REALLY cold, keep some de-gel solution around, too. In CO one year, my diesel pickup made it about 1/4 mile before quitting. Couldn't get it restarted, so parked it on the side of the road, in a sunny spot. A few hours later, it warmed up a bit and ran just fine. The temps were in the single digits and I hadn't plugged it on overnight, so the fuel gelled. Since the CO front range doesn't normally get that cold, I don't think they had as much anti-gel stuff in as colder climes. It's the only time in 20 years of diesel ownership I've had a gelling issue. In that time, I've lived in WA, TX, RI and CO and driven pretty much all over the country. On a road trip last winter, I thought I might run into problems driving through WY where it was -10. The fuel was fine, but keeping the engine temp up was a bit more of a challenge.

Any time I drive in exceptionally cold temps in any of my diesel vehicles, I keep anti- and de-gel solutions in the car and have radiator covers should I need to help the engine stay warm. That's more of a factor on my Cummins Ram than the CD, though.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:12 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 102 Posts

'Otis' came with a Porsche funnel that will accommodate both the larger truck nozzles and agricultural nozzles which are different yet.
The app can be useful especially traveling to rural less populated areas. Best to use prior to leaving as the places where you need the info also will have limited cell phone coverage. Our winter trip north of the Arctic Circle had additional challenges in that some northern stations were only open in the summer. Other issues included having truck or agricultural nozzles on passenger diesel pumps. As we would not know if a station would have any diesel or if the pumps were working, we never passed an opportunity to refuel. As noted by Skiahh the fuel was already anti-gel treated for cold temp. We still brought cetane boost with us. In sparsely populated areas, like north of Coldfoot, AK, ULSD is not available. Coldfoot has a 4'x8' sign stating "ULSD not available north of here"
Lastly when we were in Yellowknife the temp got down to -36F and the hotel did not have plug-ins. After being cold soaked all night our CD started up with only a very slight hesitation. The Cummings diesel next to us was not as lucky as their serpentine belt broke.

Quick Reply: Good diesel app finder