Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Autozen
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up gear oil additive helped transfercase issues

Also sharing experience with transfer case symptoms.
Im a small used car dealer. Recently bought nice looking 2016 cayenne gts 116k miles to drive for myself then to sell. But before So immediatly noticed some kind of thumping when starting to drive and on hard turns, reverse especially.
First thing came to my mind is driveshaft. But then I started to research and found this forum. before the worse,( TC replacement), saw that someone here added K&WTrans-X® Posi Trac® Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive along with new fluid.
So without waiting till dtf1 arrives, that Ive ordered, I went ahead and added this oil additive just to see. Rightaway Ive noticed ,that all those thumping symptoms almost disappeared after couple minutes of driving. And today Ive driven it the whole day and its perfect!!!! I can finally enjoy this porsche! had 2011 cayenne S recently- fell in love. such a well balanced suv. before that has 07 cayman manual.
this my 3d porsche and I love it. and trust me I went through a lot of cars. lol
no more shuddering,thumping or anything and it with an old fluid. Cant wait to put dtf1 and another shot of this limited slip additive.
so here my experience. Honestly I didnt think it would help, by judging how distinctive this thumping and shuddering was.
Highly advice to try this method if you out of warranty , before replacing transfer case.
Will update along the way if its a solid fix.

Last edited by Autozen; 02-25-2024 at 10:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Autozen:
Guards_Red_991 (02-26-2024), Robocop305 (03-05-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 08:46 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A little bit of that stuff can work wonders. As others say be careful not to overdo it but it worked great for me. The car was undriveable without it regardless of fluid type.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:00 PM
TV911
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Add me to the list of failed TCs. I had drained and refilled the TC a couple of years ago (with Ravenol + friction modifier), and I rarely drive the Cayenne (and almost never in the rain). It's a 2011 CTT with just under 100K miles. Strange symptoms... all of a sudden, it refused to drive. It starts to go forward in 1st gear, but then it feels like it drops out of gear and the PSM warning light flashes. It basically locks up. The technician at Porsche Steven's Creek explained that when the TC clutches slip, the PSM thinks wheels are slipping and it applies the brakes. I'm now waiting for a quote to replace the TC.

Quick Reply: Transfer case